DIgital Modeling Help Please - Eleven Rack Discontinued - Clapton's tone

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
Ah! Now that is interesting an Amplitube 4 user. And straight in with the all singing and dancing Deluxe version. Tell me if you were playing a slow blues with your Gibson SG. What Amp would you prefer to use in Amplitube 4?

I'll look up iStomp I/O and iLoud micro monitors. Perhaps Santa will get them for me???

Deluxe version is included when you purchase the Stomp I/O, I was using the iRig HD2 prior to switching to the Stomp.

Slow blues I'd use the 65 Princeton Reverb model (additional purchase for $25) with a touch of OD, Delay and compression. I output direct to the micro monitors set to flat. The tone is far far better than my skill.:( I also really like the "dark jazz amp 2" preset included the deluxe edition. and the BBClean preset which is in the free blues style presets.

It works for me, seriously doubt I will ever play anywhere beyond my home office but if I did, the Stomp with Amplitude loaded on my laptop sent to a PA would do the trick (plus alcohol for me).

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Hi MikeS, Thank for the reply. I just spent the last two hours trying to install the Avid Eleven Rack on my Apple Mac. Eventually I discovered that I needed a driver, but no mater how many times I swore at the screen it would not install. After a while I found my way onto an Avid supporter page where I discovered Avid do not support MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) The latest 64bit OS from Apple, that I have. I suspect that is why Avid have discontinued the product. it is just too onerous and not financially viable.

I got some good news and some bad news for ya: as you’ve found out the driver is not compatible with OS 10.15. But the 11R editor works just fine on Catalina.

Also, unless you are using 11R as your interface, you don’t need the driver. You don’t even need it connected to a computer.

Just use 11R as a signal processor with your interface of choice. If you’ve got the IO, you can still record wet and dry signals and re-amp to you heart’s content.

The only downside is that you can’t embed the rig settings in the track. And unless you’re a ProTools user, you couldn’t anyway.

I’ve even used 2 11R’s together to get multiple amps. But that’s another story.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yea. But not many of us can crank a real jtm45 to get the tone.
Cheers
Al
Well, then get a simple, inexpensive HoTone Golden Touch. :ROFLMAO::)
It s what I use and all I need. Stand-alone it is superb and fed into my J Rockett Dude it just drips great Marshall tone.
https://www.amazon.com/Hotone-Skyline-Golden-Overdrive-Effect/dp/B01G4SM6CQ

And for further consideration ... for great Marshall tone without dragging around a 45lb head and a heavy cabinet ... or something lke an 11 R, power amp and speakers ... grab yourself a Quilter combo (23lbs grab and go). And just rotate the voicing knob to "Surf" and have the best Fender Twin you've ever heard. :)

Last edited:

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Well that is interesting. I followed your link and there was only one Crossroads pedal for sale. Cost £100 and it was from Inverness in Scotland. Well as I'm Scottish I thought why not.... and without telling my wife, bought it on the spot. If it does what you say it does then I will be really chuffed. (satisfied, no i'll be exuberant)
I have one of those pedals and it is awesome. Takes you pretty much through Eric’s different sounds. Sadly, I still don’t sound like Eric Clapton. Just to note, it does require its own power source. The plug going into the pedal is different than typical pedals. Have fun with it!

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Clapton didn’t use a JTM 45 for that tone either. It’s just a starting point to get the tone from a modeler.
Depends which tone. I was probably thinking of the beano tone. Which was supposed to be a jtm45 in an earlier combo box which was customed built by Jim. No one knows what was done or where the amp is. But whatever Clapton's tones from this early era are a flavour of Marshall cranked. To the point it was hard to stand in the studio with it.

Cheers

Al

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Yup. That's the way to do'er.

What's even more fun is that if you are also recording your dry signal, you can create a stereo track (or two mono tracks) and also use your favorite amp sim plug in that for even more sonic possibilities.

In ProTools, I can take a stereo track, insert my Eleven MKll plugin (basically the 11R but in plugin form) and I can treat the left and right channel differently. ie different amps, mics, etc. on each channel. It's like using two mono channels. For me, I like using the stereo channel but sonically there is no difference.

I know Ampire can also split the signal into two channels so if you are using S1 (pro 5 for sure, don't know about the others) you can do the same basic thing.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Depends which tone. I was probably thinking of the beano tone.

The Beano tone was a JTM 45 based combo with celestion Alnico’s. It doesn’t sound all that similar to a 100 watt el34 head running through 4x12 stacks full of ceramic greenbacks. The later is what was originally used for the “Sunshine of your love” tone.

That said, Clapton has managed to get versions of that tone from various Marshals, Fender Tweed Twins, Soldano SLO’s and probably more. There is no need to obsess over the specific details of the rig, as there are many ways to get to the same place, or at least a sound that is equally good.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
RR I don't need any of that. I have an Atomic Amplifire and am very happy.

Cheers

Al

A very under appreciated modeler. With the right IR’s and a bit of tweaking, those things sound very good. Better than the more expensive Helix stuff, although Line6 has a much better user interface.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
[QUOTE="Al Holloway, post: 414624, member: 6"]RR I don't need any of that. I have an Atomic Amplifire and am very happy.
Cheers
Al[
/QUOTE]
Glad you're happy, Al ... so am I ... more than one way to get the job done.
Have you tried that rig playing live in clubs yet?

My whole orientation is from years of playing on the bar circuit in just about every kind of bar/club you can imagine with acoustics ranging from being like playing in a mattress to like being in an empty auditorium, and also radically changing in the same club as it fills with people. Bottom line: a saved preset is pretty much worthless, and even if you can easily tweak it on the fly, you would have to save the tweaks each time else re-tweak it every time you called it up ... while playing and singing at the same time ... often between lines of your vocal ... in one second or less. If your gear won't allow that, it just won't work in that environment. That's why I don't own anything with a menu screen on it except my Mustang III, and why I never used the internal effects of the Mustang III, only having basic clean amp presets on it, and a big reason I stopped using my Mustang and got my Quilter ... and why I use a pedal board.

I know most of you will probably never play in that kind of arena and your particular situation may totally change the equipment equation, and that's fine. I will probably never play in that environment again either, but I want my gear to be fully capable of that just in case.

I don't even try to match the tone of a given artist. Just fairly close is good enough. I think mastering their licks is far more important, then you can at least be in the ball park. But you will NEVER sound exactly like them because you are NOT them and never will be. If I want to do B.B. stuff I want a clean Fender tone. If SRV stuff a dirty Fender tone. If Clapton stuff (not my favorite) a clean - to - dirty Marshall tone. My Quilter does all of that all by itself. My pedal board just enhances it.

Last edited:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Rancid, one of the big pluses of the Amplifire line is they have real amp like knobs so you can start with your base sound and quickly tweak to the room if needed. Of course the better way to do it is to run into a mixer and have a sound guy out in the room applying EQ tweaks, and not a guitarist on stage who is out of position for the task.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Rancid, one of the big pluses of the Amplifire line is they have real amp like knobs so you can start with your base sound and quickly tweak to the room if needed. Of course the better way to do it is to run into a mixer and have a sound guy out in the room applying EQ tweaks, and not a guitarist on stage who is out of position for the task.
That doesn't help much if you call up a different amp model in the middle of a gig. You would have to re-tweak every time you called one up ... or ... save it every time you tweak one.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
That doesn't help much if you call up a different amp model in the middle of a gig. You would have to re-tweak every time you called one up ... or ... save it every time you tweak one.
Not much different to a multi channel amp. Depends how you use one. I generally use one or two patches mostly so if I did gig no biggy. Many users run a graphic equaliser post modeller or use a power amp with EQ like the
Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170.
Also the giging scene has changed so much since you were giging. A lot of places won't allow big rigs any more. Direct to desk and iem's are common. If I was giging I would probably change my rig. Though that could be to a Atomic Amplifirebox that works just like a 2 channel amp, with real knobs. Or into an amp with EQ. The basic patches wouldn't need to change as the eq changes needed should basically be the same for all patches. What I do know trying to use amps at home the modellers can get a great consistent tone whatever volume you play at. The real amps can't (still wishing I could crank that real JTM45 at home). Some of you guys over there may not have a neighbour for miles. Our houses are a little closer together. A good sound at family friendly volumes is what is needed.

cheers

Al.