In SWS Blues Block 3, does Griff mean Pentatonic Box 3?

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I'm confused, when he sys Blues Box #X, when I watch his fingers it does not seem to be corresponding to the pentatonic blues box of that number. So is he referring to the major box? Please help me clarify.

Thanks,

Ned

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
SWS doesn't refer to any Pentatonic Boxes.

That's the whole idea, being introduced to soloing without having to learn any scales or the Pentatonic "Boxes".

He's referring to the smaller, more "manageable" Blues Blocks that he defines in the course.

You may want to read each Lesson that describes a block before attempting the solo that uses it.

Blues Block 1 is defined in Lesson 4. (The 4 Note Solo Pattern)
Blues Block 1+1 in Lesson 10.
Blues Block 2 in Lesson 12.
Blues Block 3 in Lesson 16. (Major sound)

In the end you will "discover" that combining some of these smaller Blocks will give you the larger Boxes across the neck.

Pentatonic scales only have 5 unique notes. The 5 Pentatonic "Boxes" each have 12 notes. o_O

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
SWS is one of my favorite courses. When I was 10, I took up the guitar. The most important thing I learned was "Techniques". Before learning to play guitar, I was taught guitar techniques. That occupied the first 9 weeks of my guitar journey. It is amazing how many students dropped my teacher, as they wanted to "play music", and did not think that techniques were important. :eek: As you learn more about the guitar, you will discover that there are additional techniques to learn.

SWS spends time teaching important guitar techniques, and even where the notes are on the guitar fretboard, as well as teaching an approach to playing Blues Guitar. I think that it gives the student a good foundation into the world of the Blues. :):cool::Beer:

Tom

ChicagoNed

Blues Newbie
I'm going to start from the beginning because the term boxes to me meant the 5 of the pentatonic scales so I got confused from the start.

Best,

Ned