ESP EC-256 Anyone use for blues?

Gavin

Blues Newbie
Hello all,

I posted before about looking for a singlecut with a 14 inch radius. I see the EC-256 has that (well, 13.77). I always associate ESP as metal machines. Anyone play them? Are the pickups too hot for blues/classic rock?

I know I can change out the pickups down the line, if the rest of the specs are good, but anyone play the stock model? I'm not playing out, bedroom jamming, occasionally open mic when that resumes so don't need (can't afford/justify) $2,000 for another guitar.

I'd love thoughts on it.
Cheers

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
From the ESP website:
"This guitar features our acclaimed ESP Designed LH-150 humbucking pickups that offer great tone for all genres of music, and the tone flexibility of coil-splitting controlled by a push-pull switch on the tone knob."
A couple years ago, I did some work on a neighbor's guitar - I'm pretty sure it was this model.
I played some blues on it, and it sounded fine - at least to the extent of my ability to play blues that is.
While certain guitars have a reputation for being suited for blues, don't buy into the crap that only certain guitars can be used for blues.
You can play blues on ANY guitar. The guitar doesn't know the difference.

BTW, I also prefer the flatter radius necks like that.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
I have an ESP LTD H250. My two sons actually bought it for me as a birthday gift several years ago. I plays blues all the time with it and to this day is still one of my favorites.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I have an ESP LTD EC100QM with the ESP Designed LH-150 'buckers. It does Classic Rock very well. It sounds good for Blues as well. It's my sit in the corner bolt neck LP that was inexpensive and a lot of fun. It's one that I throw in the car with a small amp if I'm going to be away from the rest of the flock.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I have the 256. With the push pull I think sounds great for the blues. I think the stock pick ups were pretty good but I wound up changing pick ups anyway to Seymour Duncan JB in bridge and Jazz in neck.i don't like 335's and 339 shape guitars so this takes the place of that in my book.

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
Was talking awhile ago with a local music store [ Not GC ] and the owner said that I couldn't go wrong getting an ESP. He explained that ESP's consistently have great quality control and have excellent necks / fret work.

I'd say, if the guitar is in your price range and the rest of your clan have no problems, go for it.

So far, I've only tried a couple of their guitars, LP and SG shapes in the store, and as I prefer a 12 or 14" radius, found them comfortable and very playable.

Just looked for pictures of the guitar and yes, I have tried it. Like LP's? you should like this guitar.

My biggest concern with this guitar is the three control set up. I really like 2 volume and 2 tone control set up. Learned about this in high school and still rely on this .... I often use the middle position and use the controls to ride the volume and tone changes. So I would have to play the guitar awhile and see what I could do with it. For you, I doubt it would be a problem.

As far as pickups ...... Its about more than the pickups. ..... Its also about your ears .... Dial in the amp .... Play her awhile .... Good - yes. Stop. No! Use your ears and screw driver before you think about changing pickups.​

If you decide to change pickups, know what characteristic of your sound you want to change.
This will help you ask for advice and help other readers decide what pickup to suggest.

And seriously, I'm only going by what is working for me.

As I'm a Gibson player this stuff works for me and here they are as a starting point:

old school - SD Pearly Gates
70's rock - SD WHL set [ This is my favorite SG pickup ]
Jazz set - think of this as a smooth Gibson 57set. They are article and sound good under gain.
Incredible - WHL neck and a 59/Custom hybrid!
Basic hard Rock - Jazz / Sh5 Custom or Jazz / 59/Custom Hybrid.

Also DMZ makes some great pickups [ Stuff I have experience with ]

36 Anniversary Set - this is like similar to the SD Jazz pickup with some nice mids.

Several of their low gain humbuckers are amazing and depending on what the guitar needs, I'd put them in a SG or a LP without hesitation.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I have an EC1000, which I believe is similar. I don't generally use it for blues, though you certainly could. I have it because it's red and sparkly and Laura liked the color ;)

That being said, it plays and sounds fantastic. I put Seymour Duncan pickups in in, a '59 in the neck and a Saturday NIght Special in the bridge. Has a great classic rock sound and I'm sure would work very well for blues.