LOOKING FOR A CAB

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
That's one reason I've always questions the usefulness of sound check. What sounds great in sound check will be vastly different when a crowd fills the room (or so I've been told, I personally haven't experienced a full room).
Believe me, I have. I spent 10 years or so making my living playing on the bar circuit, seedy little bars to nice big clubs. I have been in places that sounded like an empty auditorium when empty and that were like playing into a mattress when filled with people. And literally everything in-between as the place filled up. Tweaking your sound/tone on the fly was absolutely essential. That's why to this day I will not own any gear that requires you to scroll in a menu to tweak it and consider such to be useless in the "real world". The speakers in my amps must be capable of really cutting through ... and also capable of "that nice warm tone". And the HD speakers in my Quilter amp/extension cab do exactly that very well.

Last edited:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
That's one reason I've always questions the usefulness of sound check. What sounds great in sound check will be vastly different when a crowd fills the room (or so I've been told, I personally haven't experienced a full room).

The sound check is to verify functionality and get basic levels set. The sound guy is supposed to make the adjustments as people come in and alter the sound of the room. The problem with this is the general lack of qualified sound guys.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Why not just take advantage of Quilter's own extensive research for their best tone and get a cabinet they designed for the amp??

The Quilter 12HD is 16" x 18.25" x 10.75".

The one MikeR made is 16" x 16" x 12" and has a "slot" where the Quilter Head goes. Both cabs come in at a little under 20 lbs.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The sound check is to verify functionality and get basic levels set. The sound guy is supposed to make the adjustments as people come in and alter the sound of the room. The problem with this is the general lack of qualified sound guys.

Sounds guy? Who do you think I am? Clapton?
The only sound guy at my shows is me, so it's hard to know what it sounds like out in the audience.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
In my case they certainly do. ;)
RR,
I think we all know how passionate you are about selecting pickups.
I was going to ask why you're not that way about speakers, after all, when you remove all the variables of pedals and amps it's really a conversation between the pickup and the speaker that creates the sound.

This last comment of yours answers that question, It's about individual taste and you found a flavor you like.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Sounds guy? Who do you think I am? Clapton?
The only sound guy at my shows is me, so it's hard to know what it sounds like out in the audience.

It can be a friend, wife, fan, venue employee, or some random dude who shows up early and is willing to do the job in exchange for a couple of drinks. They may not be very good at it, but neither are most guitarists, and at least they are in a better position to hear than someone on the stage.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
It can be a friend, wife, fan, venue employee, or some random dude who shows up early and is willing to do the job in exchange for a couple of drinks. They may not be very good at it, but neither are most guitarists, and at least they are in a better position to hear than someone on the stage.

I have the opposite problem..............I enjoy being out front and getting the sound mixed,many friends bands have asked me to do the listen test. but everyone says I am too picky. It's weird, being a guitar player, I naturally go for the prominence of the bass and drums, and treat the guitar like color on the top instead of being a focal point

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I have the opposite problem..............I enjoy being out front and getting the sound mixed,many friends bands have asked me to do the listen test. but everyone says I am too picky. It's weird, being a guitar player, I naturally go for the prominence of the bass and drums, and treat the guitar like color on the top instead of being a focal point

I used to be a sound guy for one band. I was considered by the band to be a member. A few times someone else ran sound for them because of the venue or because I couldn't make it. Usually, when I was there and not running sound for them, I didn't like the sound and felt that they didn't sound like themselves. I guess I was biased. I do like to actually hear the drums and bass. I like to hear all the instruments equally with the vocals sitting just a touch out front and the bass and drums should be felt as well as heard.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
RR,
This last comment of yours answers that question, It's about individual taste and you found a flavor you like.
No, I found a flavor I love. But I loved the flavor of my Mustang III with its stock speaker too. And I really love the flavor of the Vintage 30 4X12 Carvin Legacy cab with my Legacy head. And I love the flavor of the stock speakers in my Carvin BelAir. The differences in the pickups I have shine through all of them. And the pickup differences would be pretty much the same no matter what speaker I might bolt into those cabinets.

As Griff said about himself, and I am the same way, I have a sound/tone that is in my head and no matter what amp/speaker I have, I will just dial it in until I have that sound/tone ... and if I can't get it, out the door that amp goes. So ... it flat doesn't matter what speakers I'm using, they will either deliver that sound/tone or they will be gone. So in the above paragraph, I love the sound/tone of all those combinations because they can all give me that sound/tone ... and my Quilter happens to excel at it.

That is the basis of "my tone". In my home. And in an ideal club. Some venues are absolute acoustic sh*t holes. And in order to cut through that and be heard you have to put up with sh*tty tone to do it ... like it or not ... and some speakers are better at doing that than others ... but you will never find that out (whether they can or can't) just sitting at home. I don't know that my Quilter set up can from personal experience dragging it from club to club, but I know from others who make their living doing so that it can do so very well.

So with that said, for me there is no difference between different speakers. Except that some fry themselves if you hit them with 100 Watts and some don't . :) And some would end up in a dipsy-dumpster for not being able to deliver the tone I want. :)

But I'm probably Abbey-Normal.

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
Believe me, I have. I spent 10 years or so making my living playing on the bar circuit, seedy little bars to nice big clubs. I have been in places that sounded like an empty auditorium when empty and that were like playing into a mattress when filled with people. And literally everything in-between as the place filled up. Tweaking your sound/tone on the fly was absolutely essential. That's why to this day I will not own any gear that requires you to scroll in a menu to tweak it and consider such to be useless in the "real world". The speakers in my amps must be capable of really cutting through ... and also capable of "that nice warm tone". And the HD speakers in my Quilter amp/extension cab do exactly that very well.

Totally agree with this post! In a real world gigging situation, I also need to use individual drive/boost pedals so I can adjust the tone to the room. The room does change throughout the night.

I can and do use multi effect (currently HXFX) for my delays and modulation effects. I can set those and not worry about adjusting them.