Are You (an original)

Elwood

Blues
I love how you built this on top of a "staggered" (lost for a better term) rhythm. Tasteful syncopation. :thumbup: You fit it together well to create a dark, (organized yet) chaotic framework for your expression.:cool: "Under construction" sounds pretty dog gone good!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I love how you built this on top of a "staggered" (lost for a better term) rhythm. Tasteful syncopation. :thumbup: You fit it together well to create a dark, (organized yet) chaotic framework for your expression.:cool: "Under construction" sounds pretty dog gone good!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:
Thanks Elwood,
Lately, I'm going with my gut on my song creation.
I think that's the way I used to do them all before I started listening to all the "experts".

It's so weird, this one started out with a completely different vibe.
I changed up the beat and went with a harsher guitar tone to balance the heavy bass.
I've got some more work to do on the vocals though.
Maybe there will be a few people who like it.:unsure:

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Capn'. Absolutely fantastic. Arrangement, recording, lyrics. Poignant and so timely. Loved it. If I heard on local radio would be googling immediately to see who the artist was. thanks for sharing(n)(n)
Thanks again Marc,
I've said this many times, but it bares reputing.
My songs are usually inspired by things around me.
Could be in the news, family events or just observations but, whatever the inspiration, I try to capture the emotion in the song.
That my not be what works for others, it's just the direction I've followed that give voice to my thoughts.
Anyone who's inclined to wright thier own songs needs to find a path that motivates them.
Thanks for listening.
When I say "soon to be released" I send these out to the world on a variety of streaming and download platforms.
I don't expect any of my songs to show up on the radio but, let me know if you ever hear one on your favorite channel. :ROFLMAO:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I liked the heck out of that---the first couple bars reminded me of "RIDERS of THE STORM" but that didn't last long. Sounds to me like you got your recording equipment under command--- Great Job :thumbup:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I liked the heck out of that---the first couple bars reminded me of "RIDERS of THE STORM" but that didn't last long. Sounds to me like you got your recording equipment under command--- Great Job :thumbup:
Thanks Dave,
Actually I had about 3 -4 more verses so, it could have gotten pretty long..........I spared my audience:whistle:
Recently, I decided to stop trying to learn all this stuff and just start making some music.
Over time, I think I've gathered enough of the basics to make half way decent recordings , at least if it really gets bad I have some idea how to fix it.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Thanks again Marc,
I've said this many times, but it bares reputing.
My songs are usually inspired by things around me.
Could be in the news, family events or just observations but, whatever the inspiration, I try to capture the emotion in the song.
That my not be what works for others, it's just the direction I've followed that give voice to my thoughts.
Anyone who's inclined to wright thier own songs needs to find a path that motivates them.
Thanks for listening.
When I say "soon to be released" I send these out to the world on a variety of streaming and download platforms.
I don't expect any of my songs to show up on the radio but, let me know if you ever hear one on your favorite channel. :ROFLMAO:

My pleasure. Yep. Makes sense. Thats pretty much where a lot of inspired music (art) comes from.

artyman

Fareham UK
I don't know if it was a bandwidth thing, but sounded distorted, whether this is because a of the larger WAV file being too much for my system.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hi Moto. Here's my tuppence worth. To my ears, (which aren't the best as you know:ROFLMAO:) the guitar competes with the vocal too often in the mix. I can remember seeing a video on side chain compression, where it was used to 'duck' the guitar by a db or two when it collided with the vocals. I thought it was really cool, (although a bit complicated). Here's a link to something similar.

https://youtu.be/aaCui00lkdo

The bass is quite strong in the song, and if you were listening to it on buds or small speakers it may be a little OTT. It sounds fine on my Kalis' though. Have you high passed the bass at all? If not, you could maybe try a HP filter. (but not too much, as it is such an integral part of the groove)

Love the minimalism on this track, and the guitar tone is superb.(y)(y) (it reminds me of something I listened to years ago) What are you playing?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hi Moto. Here's my tuppence worth. To my ears, (which aren't the best as you know:ROFLMAO:) the guitar competes with the vocal too often in the mix. I can remember seeing a video on side chain compression, where it was used to 'duck' the guitar by a db or two when it collided with the vocals. I thought it was really cool, (although a bit complicated). Here's a link to something similar.

https://youtu.be/aaCui00lkdo

The bass is quite strong in the song, and if you were listening to it on buds or small speakers it may be a little OTT. It sounds fine on my Kalis' though. Have you high passed the bass at all? If not, you could maybe try a HP filter. (but not too much, as it is such an integral part of the groove)

Love the minimalism on this track, and the guitar tone is superb.(y)(y) (it reminds me of something I listened to years ago) What are you playing?
Thanks MM,
Yes, the guitars are ducked, maybe not enough though?
That's where I spent a lot of time on mix 1 and even more time on mix 2

Also, I do have some high pass on the bass.
I wanted it to be prominent but, maybe I need to trim it back a bit more or shift the frequency.
Like most mixes it sounds different on various headsets and speakers, I'll see if anyone else has an opinion before I go back for adjustments.
Guitar is a tele with Nashville high strung tuning, it took considerable EQing to try and tame that but, It did want it to be a stark contrast to the big bass.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well you've certainly succeeded in that!!:)(y) I'll have a listen to it on headphones and see what it sounds like. (Can't get them to work at the minute though for some reason.):mad:
What?o_O
You're running a professional operation there, get your shit together man!
:sneaky: