Electric Guitars NG (PRS) D

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
So for a few weeks I've been jonesing for another PRS guitar and I've been tossing around a variety of SE type PRS guitars to set my sights upon -- A Starla?, A Mira?, A Custom 22?, 24? to the point where my head was spinning.

Then I happened upon this:

THE S2 VELA!

vela1.jpg

vela2.jpg

I wanted something different instead of the "usual" PRS fare and this did it for me.

I didn't want black, red, antique white or any of the "frosty" colors and this beauty is Dark Walnut. :love:

It's vital stats are:
  • All Mahogany
  • Weight: 6lbs. 10oz. (under 6lbs. is simply too light for my taste)
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Frets: Medium Jumbo
  • Pattern Regular Neck
  • Bridge: Plate-type with Brass Saddles (really cool design with lots of adjustability)
  • Neck Pickup: S2 Bass Type-D Single-coil (it's been described as a cross between a single coil and a P-90).
  • Bridge Pickup: S2 Treble Starla Humbucker (a DS-01 instead of the DS-02 used in the SE model)
  • Controls: 1 x volume, 1 x tone (push/pull coil-split), 3-way toggle pickup switch
  • Nut Material: Synthetic/Bronze powder blend
  • Tuners: PRS Low Mass Locking
  • Made in Maryland, USA
I spent a lot of time reading reviews and listening to demos and I LOVE the sounds this guitar makes. I think of it as almost a sort of marriage between the SE Mira and Starla in that it can certainly chime like the Starla but it has mucho kohones when it comes to crunch (win-win) :thumbup:
I also liked the idea of a single coil pup for the neck. It's based on the DeArmond Dynasonic style but with whatever alchemy PRS added to the design and it sounds really nice.

The Vela is a bit spendy, :( but the one I bought (which is pictured above) is a 2019 demo that was about $135.00 cheaper than new and I also get $150.00 in what Sweetwater calls "Bonus Bucks" that I can use for any future purchase (maybe a looper pedal?), so that all takes a bit of the sting from the price.

I really fell in love with the looks and the sound of this guitar so to me it's worth the extra dough and it will also be the first "Made in America" guitar I've ever owned. I'm not particularly patriotic about such things but I have guitars from Korea, China, Indonesia, Mexico, etc., so why not one from America too?

Anyway, it's supposed to get here Thursday and if it plays half as well as it looks (to me) than I will be one very happy camper!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
So for a few weeks I've been jonesing for another PRS guitar and I've been tossing around a variety of SE type PRS guitars to set my sights upon -- A Starla?, A Mira?, A Custom 22?, 24? to the point where my head was spinning.

Then I happened upon this:

THE S2 VELA!

View attachment 12579

View attachment 12580

I wanted something different instead of the "usual" PRS fare and this did it for me.

I didn't want black, red, antique white or any of the "frosty" colors and this beauty is Dark Walnut. :love:

It's vital stats are:
  • All Mahogany
  • Weight: 6lbs. 10oz. (under 6lbs. is simply too light for my taste)
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Frets: Medium Jumbo
  • Pattern Regular Neck
  • Bridge: Plate-type with Brass Saddles (really cool design with lots of adjustability)
  • Neck Pickup: S2 Bass Type-D Single-coil (it's been described as a cross between a single coil and a P-90).
  • Bridge Pickup: S2 Treble Starla Humbucker (a DS-01 instead of the DS-02 used in the SE model)
  • Controls: 1 x volume, 1 x tone (push/pull coil-split), 3-way toggle pickup switch
  • Nut Material: Synthetic/Bronze powder blend
  • Tuners: PRS Low Mass Locking
  • Made in Maryland, USA
I spent a lot of time reading reviews and listening to demos and I LOVE the sounds this guitar makes. I think of it as almost a sort of marriage between the SE Mira and Starla in that it can certainly chime like the Starla but it has mucho kohones when it comes to crunch (win-win) :thumbup:
I also liked the idea of a single coil pup for the neck. It's based on the DeArmond Dynasonic style but with whatever alchemy PRS added to the design and it sounds really nice.

The Vela is a bit spendy, :( but the one I bought (which is pictured above) is a 2019 demo that was about $135.00 cheaper than new and I also get $150.00 in what Sweetwater calls "Bonus Bucks" that I can use for any future purchase (maybe a looper pedal?), so that all takes a bit of the sting from the price.

I really fell in love with the looks and the sound of this guitar so to me it's worth the extra dough and it will also be the first "Made in America" guitar I've ever owned. I'm not particularly patriotic about such things but I have guitars from Korea, China, Indonesia, Mexico, etc., so why not one from America too?

Anyway, it's supposed to get here Thursday and if it plays half as well as it looks (to me) than I will be one very happy camper!

I think you'll be ecstatic!

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very cool John! That pickup combination is pretty cool and should give you some nice sounds. :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Great looking guitar. Congratulations. I must admit it has caught my eye as well. You'll have it in a couple days... and enjoy the candy too! ;-)

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Cool. Love the common bridge, aka Tele, and the neck pickup, like a Rickenbacker I think? I like that dark walnut finish!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Very nice! I've often said that, if I were to get a PRS, it'd be the Vela.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I’m still waiting for my eBay seller to ship my PRS. You guys are making me jealous. Each one I see keeps looking better and better.