Be Flexible

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
This post mostly relates to overcoming physical/mental impediments when playing/learning guitar. First I will use myself as an example. I took up the guitar about 7 or so years ago. Should be pretty good by now. However, when I started I had just had major surgery on my right shoulder. Many weeks of rehab. I still watched videos and did what I could. Operation was not a success so I had a shoulder replacement. Things seemed better after rehab. Good to go....not so fast. I am 75 so arthritis progressed. Back,both wrists, and left thumb. A few months ago my leg fell asleep and I didn't realize it. As I stood up I fell injuring my left thumb. After a few months my thumb was sti sore. Went to the doctor and was told the pain was from sever arthritis. Got a cortisone shot in the thumb this week but they take a few days before it works. I can't do barre chords because squeezing hurts the thumb.

Through all this I kept playing as much as I could but not as much as I wanted. Lately I have been trying to learn slide guitar as an alternative. I hate that most of what I have learned is useless for slide. Theory has really helped understand slide but the technique is totally different.

So why am I posting this? Many on the forum are of a certain age and others may be able to relate or have similar issues. If so how do you handle the situation.?

Giving up is not an option. I have invested a lot of time and money in learning guitar. As well the doctor said that joints with arthritis should be gently exercised.

Thoughts, ideas,experience from any and all would be appreciated.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Most of the problems I have had are knee related, so it doesn't have much relevance to guitar playing. However I did dislocate the little finger of my fretting hand. The joint mid finger used to be twice the size it is now. I attribute that to the finger being "gently exercised" by playing the guitar. So what does it all mean? Use it or lose it. :whistle::rolleyes:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Much of what I have learned playing slide, has helped me greatly when playing without one. Muting techniques both left and right hand, minimizing pressure, changing hand position, alternative chords, open tunings, hybrid picking.

I think if I were in your position I would likely continue playing slide in open tunings. I think you get the most bang for your buck while minimizing stress on the left hand.

I admire your dedication, and willingness to fight through the pain to achieve your goal. If I can help in any way, please let me know. Good luck bud.

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Many of us here have "lost a step" compared to our younger days when everything was easy, we were invincible, and you could do whatever you liked to do all night long and still be at work at 6:30 in the morning ready to slay the dragons.
Don't sweat the barre chords - the better you get at playing, the more useless they are.
Learn and use the little chords in different inversions - they are easier to play, and knowing how to use them demonstrates a greater mastery of the instrument than big clunky barre chords anyway.
Can't play complicated or fast? Make simple things sound great - that is where the real art of playing music comes in.
Draw enjoyment from doing whatever you are able to, at whatever level of competence you have. Relish the little improvements when they come along.
For we older folk, we aren't in a race, we aren't going to play big stages, we aren't going to do a lot of things any more.
We're one stroke away from being a vegetable.
Just have some fun doing whatever you can do for as long as you can and be happy.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
A little over a year ago I cut off my left index fingertip in the door of a skid steer. At the time I wasn't sure I'd be able to use it to play guitar other than for bar chords. So I learned to adapt, using my other fingers to fret open chords and such, and actually found some of these grips to be advantageous in some instances. My finger has healed pretty much now, only about a quarter inch shorter than the other one, and the only time I notice it is once in a while playing an open C chord.

ronico

rainyislandblues
A little over a year ago I cut off my left index fingertip in the door of a skid steer. At the time I wasn't sure I'd be able to use it to play guitar other than for bar chords. So I learned to adapt, using my other fingers to fret open chords and such, and actually found some of these grips to be advantageous in some instances. My finger has healed pretty much now, only about a quarter inch shorter than the other one, and the only time I notice it is once in a while playing an open C chord.
Don't ya hate when you do something like that? @ Lucky Larry I had an ulnar nerve transposition and carpel tunnel last November on my left arm and have shoulder tendon issues same side. Had some notice,FWIW, how things might be so started beforehand presurgery with little chords and some cheating, of course, ahead of time. Actually makes my playing more interesting than before. And everybody hates a quitter. Carry on and share yer tricks!(y)(y)(y)

Tayport

Blues Newbie
Well said, I think most of us have enough money sunk into this journey that giving up isn't an option. I wish that I had started way, way younger. I would love to have that wide 4 fingered stretch across the fret board that some people make look easy and natural.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Yikes !
Sounds like we're all a bunch of walking wounded.
Age has strange effects on us.
It makes some things impossible while simultaneously giving us the wisdom to cope.

I like that slide idea, that can be a challenge in it self.

Personally, I can't move like I used to, my hip won't let me stand too long and arthritis plaques my joints.
The good news is, I'm more productive in my musical endeavors then I've ever been.

There are many things I wish I would have done in my youth.
There are many things I wish I could do today that I can't.
What I do do today is very rewarding .
I wish I could take this knowledge back to yesterday.
I don't allow my physical limitations to limit my accomplishments.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
@luckylarry I have a few patches on the inner tube also. For me the only lasting solution has been to move to lighter guitars, a shorter scale is nice also.

The difference is immense! I love my solid body teles, and my Jazz bass...well that's just mine. But they cause pain, sometimes when I play, but the worse is after I quit, when I'm no longer distracted. Light guitars are wonderful! They don't hurt now or later. 1 lb. of difference in weight makes a big difference after a while. (my new Mira at 5.6 lbs, with a 25" scale, and sculpted body is just the ducks nuts for me so far. The thinline tele is close behind, but a lb heavier.)

With acoustics, "small body" helps a lot also. The closer I am to a relaxed, good posture, the less pain. Having my right arm stick out out to get over a dred body does not help either. The 522 12 fret is my dream acoustic for lots of music, and my little GS mini is always close, especially if I'm not feeling up to par.

Also, when my hands are getting cranky, it is really important that I do not play the same phrases over and over. I can play much longer without pain, if I'm not trying to record something for instance. Running my metronome drills are no problem because they take me all around the neck, my left hand gets variety.

Yeah, I exercise this, and don't eat that, oh and I take some of that stuff every day too. Reducing the physical workload on my body makes the difference!

Mine is a simple suggestion, but it works for me. Small. short, and light.

Good luck!!!!

(my banjo weighs a ton, but it sits right in your lap, all you have to do is get it there. Hey, it's not a piano anyway! )

jmin

Student Of The Blues
When I started playing, there was no such thing as arthritis, tendonitis, or a host of other guitar ailments - of course, I was only 10 years old. The only thing I remember hurting were the fingertips - need calluses! Sure, the finger muscles would get sore, but not really impede the playing too much. Fast forward 50+ years and now everything hurts! Fingers, wrists, elbows, back, etc. And when my fingers get sore, it's like trying to play with a catcher's mitt.

Probably the best advice I received from Griff on "safer practicing" techniques is to break the session into smaller (15-30 min?) chunks, taking multiple breaks. ..And stretching, or warmups: Good for technique, learning scales and/or patterns, and easing into playing.

The other day I was thinking about the different guitars I've owned and remembered that it was my music teacher from the 6th grade that told me to switch from my steel string acoustic to a nylon string acoustic because it was so much easier for kids to play. She was right! Of, course, when electrics came out, all bets were off! And by then, I had calluses! I was just wondering if someday that cycle of life will catch up to me and have me returning to diapers and nylon strings.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Lots of interesting replies. Thanks to everyone that replied. I am trying to learn slide so I dropped tuned my martin to drop d. Left my Tylor in standard tuning. I can only practice slide for about 15 minutes before my ears can't take any more. LOL Then I play open chords and simple stuff.

The slide will take some time but I am intrigued and because it is a whole new technique I have to go slow. That is a good thing. Plus I am trying to do things properly this time. I go slow and actually play the music as written, not learn the notes then figure out the music.

I was really frustrated at first because of the necessity to do things differently. I think one of my roadblocks was relating my age to how long it will take to learn slide. Now that I quit sulking and said to myself it is a journey and it will take as long as it takes. although there is the question of longevity due to age. Decided it didn't matter. IT IS THE JOURNEY, NOT THE DESTINATON.

Now that I am mentally in the game again I am really enjoying my learning, practicing and playing.

ronico

rainyislandblues
@ Luckylarry Have you stumbled across Tom Strahle on YT. He's got great stuff on that of which you speak! Check it out? Like yer 'tude dude and an Albertan always has to get back in the saddle EH? You can ride in my truck any time you want:Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer:for as long as the road is.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
@ Luckylarry Have you stumbled across Tom Strahle on YT. He's got great stuff on that of which you speak! Check it out? Like yer 'tude dude and an Albertan always has to get back in the saddle EH? You can ride in my truck any time you want:Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer::Beer:for as long as the road is.
Thanks Ronico. Going to check Tom out right now. Hope the fire smoke isn't affecting you to much. Dog Beers All Around!

ronico

rainyislandblues
Dog beers indeed!! Smokes bad enough they're suspending mail delivery until it goes maybe tomorrow? Bummer my BB stuff is probably a mile away in delivery but let's not forget the horror show it's coming from. So very sad.... Go see Tom he'll make ya feel a bit beeter:Beer:

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
I have some arthritis in the knuckles of both hands, but it pales in comparison to what Lucklarry is going through. A bit of arthritic cream can ease all that. The right wrist on the other hand took a major twisting about 40 years ago resulting in some problems with the thumb and wrist. Cortisone is taking care for that for the moment. The real problem is what I was disregarding: the slight numbness in my right ring finger and pinky. The doctor brushed over everything else, and said that (the numbness) was nerve damage, and if left untreated could lead to the permanent loss of use of those fingers. The feeling is the same as when you hit the funny bone, and in the last minute or seconds before returning to normal. That is what my fingers fell like all the time. It is hardly even noticeable.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Just an update. I have decided to do the Delta Blues Slide course. It allows me to use much of what I have learned while adding new skills. I can't practice every day and sometimes for only a short period. I find that this approach is allowing me to just take my time and enjoy what I am doing/learning.

ronico

rainyislandblues
I have some arthritis in the knuckles of both hands, but it pales in comparison to what Lucklarry is going through. A bit of arthritic cream can ease all that. The right wrist on the other hand took a major twisting about 40 years ago resulting in some problems with the thumb and wrist. Cortisone is taking care for that for the moment. The real problem is what I was disregarding: the slight numbness in my right ring finger and pinky. The doctor brushed over everything else, and said that (the numbness) was nerve damage, and if left untreated could lead to the permanent loss of use of those fingers. The feeling is the same as when you hit the funny bone, and in the last minute or seconds before returning to normal. That is what my fingers fell like all the time. It is hardly even noticeable.
Hi Bill B. Posted earlier in this thread about Ulnar nerve stuff. I let it go for quite a while but sadly despite my hopes it didn't fix itself My understanding is early intervention = better long term out come. Just sayin' Be well bud!

ronico

rainyislandblues
Just an update. I have decided to do the Delta Blues Slide course. It allows me to use much of what I have learned while adding new skills. I can't practice every day and sometimes for only a short period. I find that this approach is allowing me to just take my time and enjoy what I am doing/learning.
Keep us up to date on how it's going LL

Bill_B

Blues Newbie
Hi Bill B. Posted earlier in this thread about Ulnar nerve stuff. I let it go for quite a while but sadly despite my hopes it didn't fix itself My understanding is early intervention = better long term out come. Just sayin' Be well bud!

Thanks Ronico, I think I caught it early, going in for an MRI Oct 7. Sorry I missed your post. You mentioned presurgery, have you done that yet?

Larry, Delta blues sounds good. Keep it going.