Amps Mustang I

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Have a question or two on the Mustang. Can I plug an IPhone into the USB input and a guitar into the amp, play music through the phone and hear both that and the guitar through the speaker?

If yes then can I plug in headphones and do all that silently?

Thanks, Bernie

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Have a question or two on the Mustang. Can I plug an IPhone into the USB input and a guitar into the amp, play music through the phone and hear both that and the guitar through the speaker?

If yes then can I plug in headphones and do all that silently?

Thanks, Bernie
A quick at the manual tells me that no, you can't plug your Iphone into the USB to play music. The USB is used to connect your Mustang to your computer, so that you can use the Fender Fuse software.
If it has an AUX, input you can use that, but I can't see one in the manual.

artyman

Fareham UK
Just looked at a video on YouTube and yes your amp does have an Aux socket so you can use a stereo lead from the headphone socket of your phone into that, then play along to your backing tracks. Inserting a headphone lead into the amp will mute the speaker, which is how I use my Mustang late at night.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Correct, there is an Aux jack, found this image online:

Fender-Mustang-I-Amp-v2-20-Watt-1x8-Guitar-Amplifier-401036537085-4.jpg

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
And if you want to record, you can use the USB port to only record the amp in parallel with the connection to Fuse.

My standard Mustang recording configuration, which I have used over the years with the Mustang Mini, the Mustang I, the Mustang III and the Mustang Floor, is:

1) Computer headphone jack out into Mustang AUX.
2) USB out of Mustang into computer. (I use Audacity)
3) Headphones plugged into the Mustang PHONES.

Load the backing track into the recording software. (I use Audacity) When you record, the backing track is played. You hear the mix of the backing track played by the computer and your live guitar in the headphones. The amp speaker is silenced. Though you hear it while playing, the backing track isn't be included in the recorded output.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OOOPS!,
I misread the original question, missed the USB question, thought it was just asking about getting music from phone to amp.
@MikeS is correct "no USB " from phone to amp.......but, you can get music from the phone by using the headphone jack into the aux on the amp.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Just looked at a video on YouTube and yes your amp does have an Aux socket so you can use a stereo lead from the headphone socket of your phone into that, then play along to your backing tracks. Inserting a headphone lead into the amp will mute the speaker, which is how I use my Mustang late at night.
Thanks to all. This is what I ended up doing. With the phone in the aux and headphones in I could hear tracks and my playing through the headphones.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks to all. This is what I ended up doing. With the phone in the aux and headphones in I could hear tracks and my playing through the headphones.

Glad it worked.
If you want to record, you should be able to take the headphone out and connect it to your computer.