That Recurring "What should I get, with my Golden Ticket" Post

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
So I'm debating what to get with my Golden Ticket. I was pretty much set on picking up the Minor Major Blues Sounds, after recently reading up on the whole Soloing levels thing.

However, I'm also trying to become a better rhythm player (I've got BGU2.0, Strumming and Rhythm Mastery, and 52 Rhythms and Fills), and I saw BGU Labs - How to Play 1000s of Blues Songs - NOW, and was intrigued.

Now obviously I'm an APP member, hence the Golden Ticket, and I regularly see the AAP Theory, Technique and Gear Talks. I also get the emails for the BGU challenges, which I don't see in the courses sections. I'm guessing that the BGU Labs have to do with these extra fee based monthly events.

My questions are these... what do I get if I "purchase" one of these with a Golden Ticket? Where am I getting the biggest "bang" for my buck? Major Minor Blues Sounds or How to Play 1000s of Blues Songs - NOW?

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Where exactly do you find the "BGU Labs - How to Play 1000s of Blues Songs - NOW"?

Yeah I have another Golden TIcket up soon I have really good intentions of not forgetting to cash in quickly any over the next couple of years ...

If I just get to live to like 130 or so I may catch up with Griff's material at some point?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You'll only see BGU Labs in your course list if you've done one. And then only the ones you've done.

For those who don't already know, Griff now offers each of the "old" labs as Golden Ticket options.

(You can click on your ticket and check out the list without actually submitting the ticket at that time.)

If you choose one you'll get access to all the lab materials for that lab; video sessions, pdfs, mp3s, etc.

"How To Play 1000s Of Blues Songs" was a challenge (June 2018) where you play over 4 choruses of a Blues: 1 chorus of rhythm, 2 choruses of solo, a final chorus of rhythm and an ending.

The goal is to gain the confidence to get up on stage during a jam.

(No, you will not learn how to play any one specific song.)

The video sessions take you through options for doing each chorus: feels, rhythms, scale options, etc.

You would have the option of recording yourself, uploading to the forum for feedback and submitting it to Griff for a "fix it" like session.

Which you still could do for an AAP "fix it" session.:sneaky:

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd go for the complete course, Major Minor Blues Shapes.:)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you want another course heavy on rhythm, check out "How To Build Blues Songs".

It covers rhythm figures, variations on rhythm figures, various 12-bar and 8-bar Blues forms and has sections on beginning, ending, breaks and bridges.

It's kind of like the June 2018 challenge in way more detail, but without the soloing component.

You'll be playing rhythm throughout all of it.:sneaky:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
"How to Build Blues Songs" is a course I already own, and haven't really worked with yet. And I'm now going to add that to my course of study for rhythm guitar. So I'm gonna get "Minor Major Blues Sounds" course with the Golden Ticket.

Thank you Paleo for that suggestion!!

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Anything new on the horizon? I have everything and now a Golden Ticket to burn for the past month. I didn't realize I could exchange it for something in the LAB area.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
So I'm debating what to get with my Golden Ticket. I was pretty much set on picking up the Minor Major Blues Sounds, after recently reading up on the whole Soloing levels thing.

However, I'm also trying to become a better rhythm player (I've got BGU2.0, Strumming and Rhythm Mastery, and 52 Rhythms and Fills), and I saw BGU Labs - How to Play 1000s of Blues Songs - NOW, and was intrigued.

Now obviously I'm an APP member, hence the Golden Ticket, and I regularly see the AAP Theory, Technique and Gear Talks. I also get the emails for the BGU challenges, which I don't see in the courses sections. I'm guessing that the BGU Labs have to do with these extra fee based monthly events.

My questions are these... what do I get if I "purchase" one of these with a Golden Ticket? Where am I getting the biggest "bang" for my buck? Major Minor Blues Sounds or How to Play 1000s of Blues Songs - NOW?

Here's my 2 cents.

1) You are an AAP member so you can run through Major/Minor to either learn the course or just get a good feel as to what's in it.
2) I wasn't aware that BGU Labs was being offered in the Golden Ticket Options. I'd look through he list of BGU Labs we've had over the last couple of years (Below) and see if you think they are worth burning a Golden Ticket (You'll always get another soon, so...)

2020-04.png