Which Fender tube amp?

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Someone brought a 59 Bassman LTD (reissue) to a jam a while ago and I could not get a bad tone out of it!

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Someone brought a 59 Bassman LTD (reissue) to a jam a while ago and I could not get a bad tone out of it!

I don't doubt that. The only reason I'm not looking at them is the JTM-45 was originally based upon that amp and I already have that.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I haven't played it in a while but the settings are currently all close to 12 o'clock.

So you are trying to get some grit directly from the amp. The Hot Rod series will be a LOT louder but give you more clean headroom. I have a BDRI which I haven't played in years and only back then at outdoor gigs. Was just too much even for small gigs and at home could never get it loud enough to hit the sweet spot even with a volume box in the effects loop.

Terry B

So you are trying to get some grit directly from the amp. The Hot Rod series will be a LOT louder but give you more clean headroom. I have a BDRI which I haven't played in years and only back then at outdoor gigs. Was just too much even for small gigs and at home could never get it loud enough to hit the sweet spot even with a volume box in the effects loop.

BDRI?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well since you asked and I have a Fender all tube hand wired amp on order....... I should say you should get the Joe Bonamassa '59 Fender Twin Amp........... and it's a tweed! :Beer:

When ever Fender starts making their amps again I should be on the short list......

Terry B

Well since you asked and I have a Fender all tube hand wired amp on order....... I should say you should get the Joe Bonamassa '59 Fender Twin Amp........... and it's a tweed! :Beer:

When ever Fender starts making their amps again I should be on the short list......

Tweed's are good!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I'd look at a DRRI...classic Fender sound...

gigged with an original 65' BFDR for years...no issues and I still have my back...if you need anything louder than that. mic it...also have a 66' BFSR...great amp but too much to carry around all the time...the Supersonic's are nice...I'd look used and see what's available...later.

cowboy

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Can't go wrong with a DRRI and about as much wattage you'd want for home use. It's still going to be plenty loud at 4 where you start to hit the sweetspot. Bar gigging I don't think I ever ran about 5-6.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
My choice to upgrade to a new Fender amp from my Blues Jr. would be a Princeton Reverb, probably with a 12" speaker, but I think you're looking to go bigger (or louder) as well, so in that case I'd go with the Deluxe Reverb. I'd move away from the Hot Rod series, that would be too much like just getting the same thing only bigger.