Miscellaneous Creating Drum Tracks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Beat buddy & Trio are great for what they do. You need a simple beat to play to? Plug em in twist a dial or two and your good to go.

Elwood

Blues
Well @MikeS, I think your thread helped me, I hope it helped you also!:thumbup:

Sounds like EZ may be the way to go, for me anyway. I still try to approach Reaper when it is in a good mood. I was hoping for a too easy solution. With the drum stuff I'm, like Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie, I just want to go right into management. Alas, it was not to be.

Start tracks with drums? really? First, I do not know what I'm doing, but ???? The only way this makes sense to me is if you use a steady drum track throughout (like I do most often), then you just cut off the end of the drum track and you are done.
For anything I would hope to be more "interesting" I would put down a (possibly throw away) guitar track to set the time parameters for the intro, verses, chorus, extro. Then go start filling in drums and stuff. That way I can place accents and changes along the drum track, and then build the rhythm section, and add all the rest. My guess is that I have instinctively found the most difficult process. (And once again I hear the voice of my old Aussie friend "Steve, when you're dumb, you have to be tough"):D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I just played with EZ Drummer a bit. It's kinda cool , but it might take a bit of time to learn to get it smooth.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Mike, I second easy drummer but...

don't you have Guitar Pro? Have you tried making drum tracks there? I haven't used GP since version 6 but I am pretty sure I made drum tracks in there at least a few times.

I don't remember if the drum sounds were cheesy or not but maybe give it a shot?

Eric

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Mike, I second easy drummer but...

don't you have Guitar Pro? Have you tried making drum tracks there? I haven't used GP since version 6 but I am pretty sure I made drum tracks in there at least a few times.

I don't remember if the drum sounds were cheesy or not but maybe give it a shot?

Eric
Yeah, I started this saying that I like the way you create tracks in GP7, but the drums sounds like crap. There was an older version that did a much better job, but those midi files are not available in the new version.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
those midi files are not available in the new version
Midi would just be the data, such as data for what instrument should play and when to play what. The sounds come from either synthesized instruments or samples. They might not have the samples anymore in the new version of GP.

Audacity is a wonderful program, especially for the price, but I think of it as a sound editor with some DAW features, not a real DAW. You've probably hit the limit on the DAW features of Audacity and either need to move to a real DAW or to something like Easy Drummer.

Good luck in your quest.

Eric

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Midi would just be the data, such as data for what instrument should play and when to play what. The sounds come from either synthesized instruments or samples. They might not have the samples anymore in the new version of GP.

Audacity is a wonderful program, especially for the price, but I think of it as a sound editor with some DAW features, not a real DAW. You've probably hit the limit on the DAW features of Audacity and either need to move to a real DAW or to something like Easy Drummer.

Good luck in your quest.

Eric
oops I wrote Audacity when I meant GuitarPro7.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
If you have drum tracks in Guitar Pro, you can export them as midi and then drag them into EZDrummer to make a real drum track. Steve Stine uses them along with Studio One in a video he did recently: https://youtu.be/KilWaZZRVrY

Oh, and Griff will be talking about creating drum tracks in AAP on the 10th.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you have drum tracks in Guitar Pro, you can export them as midi and then drag them into EZDrummer to make a real drum track. Steve Stine uses them along with Studio One in a video he did recently: https://youtu.be/KilWaZZRVrY

Oh, and Griff will be talking about creating drum tracks in AAP on the 10th.
That's a good idea.
I just tried that and I was able to export the midi file from GP7 & Import it (drag & drop) it into EZ Drum (the GP& midi file has to be just drum track in the project otherwise it takes other instruments as drums and strange things happen)
I haven't figured out how to export an audio file from EZ Drummer to drop into Studio One.
The whole process seems like there must be a more streamlined way to do it.

Ok... Easiest way so far.Create drums in GP7 export only drum track to midi, drop midi into Studio One then drop the Cakewalk SI-Drum Kit on the track. Not bad results.

Elwood

Blues
and for me, EZ drummer seems to work smoothly with Reaper. EZ looks like it lets you import segments that might be close to what you would have ideally, and patch them together to get a drum track. This may not be as cumbersome as I had imagined. (EZ will show up, and will play the same thing twice, in time). I do believe that MikeS and the contributors on this thread saved me from a big letdown if I had tried to use a pedal. Thanks!!! (or does this fit into the "thanks enablers" category? Good info either way):Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I haven't figured out how to export an audio file from EZ Drummer to drop into Studio One.
The whole process seems like there must be a more streamlined way to do it.

I'm in SoCal right now, so I don't have access to my setup, but I believe you use the EZDrummer VST plugin in Studio One, so it shows up under "Instruments".

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
My problem with EZ Drummer is the interface. With GP7 you enter drums on a normal musical Staff/chart. In EzDrummer it;'s some non-musical timeline (I haven't even found a place to tell it the time signature (Admittedly I could have missed it).

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
My problem with EZ Drummer is the interface. With GP7 you enter drums on a normal musical Staff/chart. In EzDrummer it;'s some non-musical timeline (I haven't even found a place to tell it the time signature (Admittedly I could have missed it).

Mike - Set Time and Tempo circled at the bottom.
upload_2020-7-2_12-32-45.png

Elwood

Blues
from what I've seen so far, in EZ you have that "drag 'em here" window at the bottom. You can drag segment of drummage from the menus above and make up various parts of tunes (verse, bridge, etc,). If you do that while using EZ in Reaper as an effect on a blank track in your project, you can just drag the stuff from your 'drag 'em here" window right into your Reaper (any DAW?) track and Eureka!, I mean Voila! It worked!!!
I don't know about editing the drum track yet. I'm not trying to be the best drummer you will never see so this may do just fine for me.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Looks like you can make some really nice drum tracks with EZ Drummer. There's a bit of a learning curve, but the end result would be much better than anything I could do in GP7. So it would be perfect for creating backing tracks that I could play along with.
I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for when I'm trying to transcribe a solo though, because I want to quickly get bass & drums down as something similar to, but dumbed down from, the original song (Basic timing) so that I can get on with transcribing the solo. It helps to have all of that in ONE place within GP7.

Elwood

Blues
About a year ago I downloaded and installed SS drum 5. Never got it to work, frustrating, :mad:almost did.

Reading this thread I installed the addictive drummer demo and the EZ demo. I think the AD maybe sounds a little better, but it was not friendly to me. I got it to make nice sounds as a stand alone. EZ just seems to work better each time I go to it. Since I am no drummer, working with EZ is not that much different than adjusting to a new drummer. You know you want to hear something like that, in there, and sounds like that, in there. Only you negotiate with the interface instead of the man with the skins and sticks. I might be able to do that.

The damages ($$$) on EZ were high enough for me. I appreciate MM saying he thought this would suffice, MM having the Superior bigger brother.
TZ, bass player in a can?, that hurtsa man! :(

FWIW, I'm not sure how yet, but it also seems that between Reaper and EZ they "negotiate" the tempo, maybe. My first clumsy efforts seemed to match up with scary ease. I'm sure I can make it harder once I learn what to do.:p

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Reaper and EZ they "negotiate" the tempo, maybe. My first clumsy efforts seemed to match up with scary ease. I'm sure I can make it harder once I learn what to do.:p

EZDrummer will follow the tempo of the host DAW when instantiated.

you can take virtually any midi drum sequence, copy it into EZDrummer and use the EZDrummer play style editor to tailor it to your needs.

It is plenty powerful, but pretty easy to use.

Elwood

Blues
Right on Cowboy Bob! I'm getting a little excited now. I ended up with the Country EZX pack. It comes with drum sets that look "real" to me (more fundamental than the standard kits I saw with the basic EZ pkg.). It looks like with the EZ, with the country EZX, and a midi pack or two for $23 each on sale at Toontrack. This should give something to work with for a blues, rock, country, jazz tunes. Just as easily tailored to another's likes.
This may be just what a guy who likes playing a whole lot more than messing with the computer needs, yes! Thanks guys!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Boy, oh boy, oh boy----I ain't got a clue what you all are talking about. I usually use a tamborine--spoons-or clap my hands or tap the mic-stand with my foot with a towel on it.. Once in a while I will go to my Kawaii GB-2 or my GB-4 and find a drum beat that MIGHT fit.....OH well. What ever works.