Maybe you've already seen this, but...

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OH man, that's cool!
I wish I had the skill and patience to do that.
Oh those tolls.....fantastic.

And people wonder why "hand made" is more then just a trivial thing.
It would be an honor to play that instead of some factory produced instrument.
(y)

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I looked at every shelf in my house. No Mahogaby. No sapele. Not even oak.
oh well, I guess I'm making a guitar from MDF next....

He does inspire me to make a carved top though. I have not dared trying yet.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, crap. I would have to mortgage my house just to buy the tools and equipment he has. Then build a shop. But no money left to build the shop. And no property on which to build the shop even if I had the loot. So rob a bank to get the loot. Then, while in prison, study wordworking and get the skills. And build me a guitar. Then discover I had made the F*ng F-holes too small to get a pot through. Then murder some poor hapless inmate in a fit of rage. Then start all over ... why not, now I have a life sentence ... and plenty of time to learn to play too. Methinks just buying a vintage ES335 would be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
That was awesome. I was only going to watch a few minutes but then... I watched it all! Great video. Thanks

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Nice work.

So many steps were done using old hand tools that could have been done much more efficiently with power tools. This isn't a video about how to make a guitar. It's more about how to spend hundreds of manual painstaking hours, doing something that could be done much faster with modern tools. This is the type that would make all their dovetails using hand tools. I was surprised that he used a router to step the archtop? I get turned off by those types, because they are mostly woodworking snobs.

The wood doesn't know what process was used. The guitar doesn't sound better because he did it the hard way. In fact I think it was the Fender factory that said they get more consistency by using as much automated cutting and shaping as possible.

All that said, it is still pretty impressive.