Tolex

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Anyone ever re-tolex a amp head ?

I assume @CapnDenny1 has with all his amp work

Now, dont judge me, awwwww go ahead, but I was thinking of doing my amp and cab in Snakeskin, for no other reason than, I am seriously that tacky and weird.

The stuff on them now is starting to come off, but to be fair, it has spent , I am guessing 3 plus years in the garage through summer and winters, so not a surprise. I love the amp, and after the speaker swap, totally love the cab....................I just wanna fix the issue, and make it more me

I just dont know how too

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I'd find someone that does it and have it done, it's a real skill and an art at the same time!
thats what I was thinking...........for me, the investment to have it done right is worth it. I was actually thinking maybe a auto interior place could do it

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
thats what I was thinking...........for me, the investment to have it done right is worth it. I was actually thinking maybe a auto interior place could do it
I don't know, my buddy that had a guitar shop had a guy that he sent them out to, and his work was awesome, I'd ask around at your local music shops

straightblues

Blues Junior
Got to YouTube and watch bunch of tutorials. I have done it a few times. It isn't that hard but it takes a lot of patience. Take your time and get the right glue and you can pull it off.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have covered my own cabinets (PA) with great results ... but I did a stint working in an upholstery shop. But it is basically just smearing Elmer's glue, smoothing the Tolex ... and a little forethought for where / how the pieces overlap and how to handle the corners.

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
I did it on one of my amps. It's not that difficult if you take your time.

To cut the pieces I put tape on the back side and drew out the cut lines.
IMG_6069_l.jpg

Glued on the Tolex and stapled it where I could
IMG_6077_l.jpg

Cut the corners like wrapping a present. I thought about using those metal corners to cover them but the shape of the cabinet wouldn't have worked with them.
IMG_6081_l.jpg

In areas with inside curves I put a backing layer then cut reliefs in the cover to fllow the curve
IMG_6117_l.jpg

I used multiple pieces of tolex and you can see the seams but that's life. I did this a few years ago and it's held up pretty well in admitedly light use. It doesn't get moved around much.
IMG_6112_l.jpg

I added a handle at some point too but apparently it was after I took pictures.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I did it on one of my amps. It's not that difficult if you take your time.

To cut the pieces I put tape on the back side and drew out the cut lines.
IMG_6069_l.jpg

Glued on the Tolex and stapled it where I could
IMG_6077_l.jpg

Cut the corners like wrapping a present. I thought about using those metal corners to cover them but the shape of the cabinet wouldn't have worked with them.
IMG_6081_l.jpg

In areas with inside curves I put a backing layer then cut reliefs in the cover to fllow the curve
IMG_6117_l.jpg

I used multiple pieces of tolex and you can see the seams but that's life. I did this a few years ago and it's held up pretty well in admitedly light use. It doesn't get moved around much.
IMG_6112_l.jpg

I added a handle at some point too but apparently it was after I took pictures.

If I can take the original off in one piece, should i use that as a template ?

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Nice job Desmo!

The HRD Line 6 is the first tolex job.

I bought the tolex glue from Amplified parts. It water soluble so it’s not fumie. The main advantage is that when you do it, you can lay it down, make a cut and pull it back off. That's how most of the videos show you how to make the joints. It was expensive, but worth it. Wood glue will work, but it doesn’t allow the same tack and pull back approach.

I prefer to use solid wood and use Danish Oil on my cabs. I could use lacquer also, but I like the feel of the oil finish. The lacquer looks glossier.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Contact cement is what it is called over here. It was notorious for being flammable. I heard stories of guys doing formica with contact cement on the 5th floor, and the fumes travelling along the floor down the stairwell to the basement, and finding a pilot light on a water heater, and sending the flame all the way back up the stairs and setting the whole can on fire, along with the guys trying to use it. We knew a guy who burned himself up in his own basement mixing paints to get just the right color.

So try to find non-flammable cement. The stuff I had was pretty benign, but still worked well enough. A lot of it doesn't give you the working time, to allow you to pull it apart. i know normal contact cement, once they come together, you aren't gonna be able to seperate them.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I didn't do it myself, I bought it that way, but here's some inspiration.
V16.jpg

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think it makes me look like a real bluesman when I play it. However, for some reason it doesn't make me sound like a bluesman. :eek:
I like my amps like my womens just a little tacky

Checked every amp repair place in town, no one does tolex, so it looks like a home project...............time to hit youtube