Another Lesson on Audio

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm thinking two different topics but kinda the same.
"I don't like the way my guitar or voice sounds live or recorded"
2 hypothetical scenarios:
1) I'm playing to a backing track (maybe it's a BGU Labs Challenge)
-I've got the track in my Daw & maybe a couple of pedals in front of my amp/emulator/...)
-after recording I realize that that I don't like the sound of the overall mix (my guitar part doesn't sound to be organically part of the mix it just sounds "off".
-can we send in a recording and have you help us fix it after the fact?
Maybe you hear that we need compression on the guitar, More reverb..... More OD. THese are things that can be added in the mixdown within the DAW, but if we don't know what will fix what we are hearing, it's left up to random chance.

2) I'm playing live and some part of the mix doesn't sound "good" Let's say that my vocals sound "Flat or like above don't sound like they organically fit "
-can we send in a recording and have you help us figure out what to fix for the next time we are in that situation?
Maybe you hear that we need compression on the vocal or More or less reverb... Panning...???.
Here's an example of my live recording that just doesn't sound "Right" to me...
MikeS Neighborhood Corona Concert

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
@MikeS I'm thinking we could do that on a Fix-Its day... send me a mix, just like you normally would, and let me know what you don't love about it and I'll make suggestions. Or just tell me it's the mix you want me to critique and not the playing and I can do that.

If you happen to have done it in Studio One 3, you could conceivably send me the whole project, and I could play with it on the spot, but I'm not sure how well that work.