Strat Treble Bleed?

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Once I realized that the thick stuff I used a torch on to solder copper tubing, wasn't the stuff I needed to solder wires, I was on my way. That skinny lead core solder actually melts with a soldering iron....
...and my dad always said, "Son, I wouldn't take a million dollars for you but I wouldn't give a nickle for another one just like you." I think he was kidding.
...about the million dollars. :(

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Dennis, your words are so true! Keep engineers away from soldering irons! ;)

I spent several years as an electronics technician, and was NASA Certified to solder. The NASA Inspectors used a 20 X eye loop to examine your work, which was used to help put men on the moon. I attended engineering college at night, and when I became an engineer, people could not believe I could solder! (n) Your words bring back lots of good memories. :)

By the way, I learned to solder when I was five years old. I blame that on my dad! :eek:

Tom
I am also an engineer that knows how to solder. Built a few Heathkits in my teens.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I am also an engineer that knows how to solder. Built a few Heathkits in my teens.
I'm no engineer, but I learned to solder early, basically because I was a geek.
Built a number of kits (Heathkit and Allied Knight kits) before I was in my teens. I had a ham friend who had a full line of Heathkit HF gear he assembled from kits. He had a Heathkit color TV kit he bought and hadn't had time to assemble, laying around his ham shack and after having a 12 year old bug him seemingly forever, he showed up at my house one day with the TV kit and told me he'd give me $10 to put it together, but it had to work first time. It didn't work first time. I made one small wiring error (at this point I don't remember what it was), and it was one of those "Doh," moments. I fixed it before I let him know I was finished and had it focused and converged before he came to pick it up, which he expected to do. I told him it wasn't a successful first power up, but he gave me the $10 anyway. I also built a few Heathkit "Twoer' two-meter AM rigs for our local Civil Air Patrol chapter, which he was also a member.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Built a number of kits (Heathkit and Allied Knight kits) before I was in my teens. I had a ham friend who had a full line of Heathkit HF gear he assembled from kits. He had a Heathkit color TV kit he bought and hadn't had time to assemble, laying around his ham shack and after having a 12 year old bug him seemingly forever, he showed up at my house one day with the TV kit and told me he'd give me $10 to put it together, but it had to work first time. It didn't work first time. I made one small wiring error (at this point I don't remember what it was), and it was one of those "Doh," moments.

That's amazing. I was pretty much doing the same thing at that age. I co-built a number of Heathkits at that age with a friend of mine, whose parents got a Heathkit color TV for us to assemble. Didn't work the first time either. Don't remember what the problem was, but they had good troubleshooting instructions as I recall. Those Heathkits were fun!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Great stores guys! Heath, and Allied were very important to me.

Back in the 1960's, I ordered some "goodies" from Allied Electronics. Apparently, I sent 1 penny too much in my money order, so they cut a check (which I still have and never cashed) for that one cent. I still order from them from time to time.

One Heath Kit was a color tv, which I built for my wife.

Most of all I liked to design and build from scratch.

Tom