Sometimes It's the Little Things

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Short story:
I started trying to play the blues when I retired several years ago.
At that time I started searching out teachers (Griff) and players I liked.

I came across Peter Parcek, at that time, he's a well known player around the Boston area.
I've followed his music and wished I could play like him.

Well,
Spin forward a few years and with Griffs help I'm making my own music, started SoundCloud and Distrokid accounts and have actually had a few people pay for some of my music.

So, yesterday I check in on my SoundCloud account and I'm shocked! :eek:

Peter Parcek is following me and he sent me this message;
"very vibey & evocative. I dig it!"
Sometimes it's the little things in life and this little thing made my day!

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Enjoy it! You've earned it. I heartily agree with his opinion.

Back in May, I did a livestream on Facebook just for the hell of it. It was a 10+ minute jam track. I just wanted to see if I could make it through, knowing that it was subject to being watched and I had no option to fix any mistakes.
After I did it, @MikeS posted it as a watch party in the BGU Students Facebook Group.
One gentleman commented "Boring." Not only that, but he went to the archive of my original livestream and made the same comment (which, apparently he later decided to take down). I'm never one to argue with a critic.

Honestly, I agreed with the guy.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
It was only a matter of time Moto. :) As Ed says, this is no little thing!!! It's pretty darned cool!!:cool::cool:

I can see some of his influence on your work.:)

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
That is fantastic validation of your creativity and efforts Captain!!! Congratulations - you deserve the recognition!! :Beer::Beer::thumbup:
All of my attempts at songwriting over the years were such a disaster, I completely gave up on the idea.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the nice comments.
I would not have gotten anywhere on my journey if it was not for the support you all have given me.
Thanks.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues

Back in May, I did a livestream on Facebook just for the hell of it. It was a 10+ minute jam track. I just wanted to see if I could make it through, knowing that it was subject to being watched and I had no option to fix any mistakes.
After I did it, @MikeS posted it as a watch party in the BGU Students Facebook Group.
One gentleman commented "Boring." Not only that, but he went to the archive of my original livestream and made the same comment (which, apparently he decided to take down). I'm never one to argue with a critic.

I'm all for honesty Papa, but on a lesson forum or students group or anything like that, even in closed or private groups, any comments that aren't constructive are not really valid, just personal opinions.
Kudos to you for taking the leap. I haven't the nerve to post examples of my playing, recorded and edited. :Beer:
...and I'm getting pretty good at editing...:oops:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm actually sorry I brought it up. This thread is about Captain Moto's accomplishment, of which he is rightly proud, not mine. I shouldn't have mentioned it here. But thanks for the encouragement.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

One gentleman commented "Boring." Not only that, but he went to the archive of my original livestream and made the same comment (which, apparently he decided to take down). I'm never one to argue with a critic.

I think I replied to the "boring" content by expressing incredulity of some sort at his opinion. If it was boring, I would not have lasted through listening to all 10 minutes. Keep it up. It's amazing how in social media people will say things to someone that they would never say when physically face to face. I wonder if you were playing that in a small club somewhere and that guy was in the audience, whether would have yelled out "boring!". But then again, being the respected and learned music critic that he is, he very well may have.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm actually sorry I brought it up. This thread is about Captain Moto's accomplishment, of which he is rightly proud, not mine. I shouldn't have mentioned it here. But thanks for the encouragement.
Thanks Papa,
Really not much of an accomplishment, just a good day.:)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Short story:
I started trying to play the blues when I retired several years ago.
At that time I started searching out teachers (Griff) and players I liked.

I came across Peter Parcek, at that time, he's a well known player around the Boston area.
I've followed his music and wished I could play like him.

Well,
Spin forward a few years and with Griffs help I'm making my own music, started SoundCloud and Distrokid accounts and have actually had a few people pay for some of my music.

So, yesterday I check in on my SoundCloud account and I'm shocked! :eek:

Peter Parcek is following me and he sent me this message;
"very vibey & evocative. I dig it!"
Sometimes it's the little things in life and this little thing made my day!

What a great acknowledgment! Those little things are huge in my book, and in your case, well deserved!

This actually came up earlier in the week when I happened to hear Griff's song "Someone" played on Bluesville. At the end of the song the DJ, Shamekia Copeland (Johnny Copelan's daughter) had really nice things to say about the band and particularly the horns. She made the comment, " I hope that I can have a band like that some day". I thought that was pretty cool and went on with my day. Later on I thought that was something I would want to know if it was about me, so I messaged Griff. Laura was predictably excited and sent Shamekia a thank you. ... and I was excited for all of them!

The bottom line is that those little comments can have a huge impact on our motivation. Congrats on the acknowledgment, Captain!

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
What a great acknowledgment! Those little things are huge in my book, and in your case, well deserved!

This actually came up earlier in the week when I happened to hear Griff's song "Someone" played on Bluesville. At the end of the song the DJ, Shamekia Copeland (Johnny Copelan's daughter) had really nice things to say about the band and particularly the horns. She made the comment, " I hope that I can have a band like that some day". I thought that was pretty cool and went on with my day. Later on I thought that was something I would want to know if it was about me, so I messaged Griff. Laura was predictably excited and sent Shamekia a thank you. ... and I was excited for all of them!

The bottom line is that those little comments can have a huge impact on our motivation. Congrats on the acknowledgment, Captain!
I know what your talking about, when I hear Griff on the radio, it's hard to believe he's teaching me!