Count with me?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think it would have to do more with phrasing than anything. Since you emphasize beat 1 (even though we don't start a solo on beat 1, that beat is still emphasized overall), 6/8 would have a beat emphasized twice as often as 12/8. So which beat do the lyrics and melody point to as the most predominant start? Is that point every 6 beats or every 12 beats? That's your difference in 6/8 and 12/8. From the guitar player's perspective, it would be a very subtle distinction. As far as counting, I don't think there's a big difference. As I told a buddy the other day that was trying to learn a new song for his worship team (the song actually shifted from 6/8 to 12/8 for the bridge), just count it in 6 and you should be fine.

Of course, you also may want to wait until some of the more knowledgeable folks show up to answer.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Gee Eddie, that's a good question. My first impulse is to sub-divide the bar - divide by 2 or 4. 6/8 divided by 2 is 3/4 - waltz time. 12/8 divided by 2 is 6/4 and that is nothing like waltz time - divide by 2 again and you get 3/2 which is pretty strange so I would forget it. My point here is to subtly suggest that in my mind, 6/8 and 12/8 are not similar and should not be compared.
So, counting 6/8 as waltz time you get 1, and, uh, 2, and, uh, 1, and, uh, 2, and, uh - two sets of three in each bar. Think Miles Davis's "All Blues".
Griff usually counts 12/8 as "Swing time", in four sets of threes/triplets - 1, and, uh, 2, and, uh, 3, and, uh, 4, and, uh, 1, and, uh, 2, and, uh, 3, and, uh, 4, and, uh. Think Albert King's version of Ray Noble's "The Very Thought of You".
I hope this makes some sense to you, and also hope it's not complete crap :) - over to "the more knowledgeable folks" who snarf mentioned.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Compound meters have groupings of 3. Usually 8th notes.

In 6/8 you have two groups of three per measure: |1 and uh 2 and uh |

In 12/8 you have four: |1 and uh 2 and uh 3 and uh 4 and uh|

9/8 would be 3 groups of 3 : |1 and uh 2 and uh 3 and uh|

Simple meters have groups of 2 or 4.

It's up to the composer considering phrasing, accents and tempo.:unsure:

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
The top number is how many the bottom is what.
So 12/8 and 6/8 are both quavers (1/8 notes).
In 12/8 you get 12 of them in 6/8 6 of them.
So to answer the original question never.

cheers

Al.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
JUst as a side note...
I don't see 6/8 time much at all.
Mostly you will see
4/4 & 12/8 in blues.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I used to see a lot of waltzes in 3/4 and 6/8 when I was a kid playing another instrument. I don't think I've played a waltz on a guitar.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
songs in 3/4 (thanks Google):
  • “Gravity” — John Mayer.
  • “You and Me” — Lifehouse.
  • “Manic Depression” — Jimi Hendrix.
  • “Perfect” — Ed Sheeran.
  • “Waltz #2 (X/O)” — Elliot Smith.
  • “Nothing Else Matters” — Metallica

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
songs in 3/4 (thanks Google):
  • “Gravity” — John Mayer.
  • “You and Me” — Lifehouse.
  • “Manic Depression” — Jimi Hendrix.
  • “Perfect” — Ed Sheeran.
  • “Waltz #2 (X/O)” — Elliot Smith.
  • “Nothing Else Matters” — Metallica
Ok, I thought we ere talking about blues here.
Can't help Falling In Love (Elvis =) is 6/8, but that ain't blues either.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Not to beat this to death

3/4 vs 6/8 usualliy depends on the tempo. 3/4 might be used for a slower waltz tempo. 6/8 for something more energetic.

12/8 or 4/4 with a shuffle feel when the chords change on 4 beat boundaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmxbVeuyIVc

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-4_21-33-9.png
    upload_2020-6-4_21-33-9.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 2

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I would write 'Gravity' in 6/8 or 12/8 all day long... if you listen to the drums and the bass I don't think you could ever call that 3/4 time.

In 3/4, the downbeat is beat 1 of EVERY measure. So when you hear kick on 1, then snare on 1, then kick on 1, then snare on 1, that's not 3/4, that's 6/8 or 12/8... at least, that's how I figure it.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Might depend on where in the beat the chord changes occur

At a slow waltz tempo, 1 & u, 1 & u (3/4)

At a faster tempo could be 1 & u 2 & u (6/8)

Or 12/8 1& u 2 & u 3 & u 4 & u (4/4 with a 12/8 shuffle feel)