First and Possibly Last Time

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
OK... I've been working on a project for a day or two, as a recording exercise. This is a cover of a cover. This song, Rock Island Blues was first written in the 1920's and performed by Furry Lewis. Pat Travers covered it in 2012 and for a goof, I covered it this week.

Everything you hear on the recording is me. Bass, guitars and keys... that's me. Drums? Well, I haven't learned to play them, but I've learned how to write scratch drum MIDI tracks.

The reference to First and Possibly Last Time. Well, anyone who knows me knows I don't sing. After hearing this recording you all will understand why that is!

Here goes nothing:
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/forum/RiBlues-Papa-01.mp3

Elwood

Blues
Over the top!!!:LOL:(y):LOL: Some houserockin, Elvin Bishop type stuff!!!!:Beer: Out-f'in-rageous!!! :thumbup::Beer::thumbup: Your singing is spot on Papa, so is all the rest.(y)(y)(y) You did the drums with a new age player piano roll?o_O:p Amazing! (y)(y)(y)

Talk about sounding like you had fun!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well, it took what, three BGU Lives to get you to play more than bass? Well, now you're going to have to start singing as well. That was so well done! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the recording stuff I have and you come out with a pro recording. Just awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Well, it took what, three BGU Lives to get you to play more than bass? Well, now you're going to have to start singing as well. That was so well done! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the recording stuff I have and you come out with a pro recording. Just awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:
It's just like recording for the VJR, only you do it 12 times!

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
That was top notch Lloyd! The playing was great, the production sounded excellent and the singing...don’t make it the last time we hear it. With all honesty, that was a mighty fine recording all the way around. I have your album on pre-order:Beer:.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That was top notch Lloyd! The playing was great, the production sounded excellent and the singing...don’t make it the last time we hear it. With all honesty, that was a mighty fine recording all the way around. I have your album on pre-order:Beer:.
Thanks TZ. It's the first time I ever tried a soup-to-nuts cover like that. But when I hear the Pat Travers cover about 10 days ago, I knew it was a song I wanted to cover and one that wasn't outrageously difficult. I was originally planning on having a local singer do the vocals, but he's been busy getting ready to start doing dates again with his own two bands, so I figured what the hell?!

The album may be a ways down the road.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Oh YEAH!!!!!! Where/Why have you been hiding this talent??:mad: That was excellent Papa!!(y)(y) I actually really like your voice, and the expression and feeling you put into that was superb. This may be your first, but I sure hope it AIN"T your last!! Really well done.(y)(y)(y)

sloslunas

NM Blues
Mercy!!!!! The boyz above pretty much covered my feelings about your performance. Everything you did on that track was absolutely done to perfection. And yes, you have a great voice! I am in total awe of what you just did there...

Steve

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I agree with Steve----man that was GOOOOD---Loved your take on it---and I don't agree with you one bit that you can't sing---you got a great voice. Top notch entertainment there.:thumbup: