Still at home, for a change

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Still working on singing; a few cracks in the plaster but maybe (hopefully) the rough spots are getting smoother.

Non-blues song & lyrics by Bob Dylan, arrangement by BIll Kirchen (& slightly rearranged by me). Bob's original (as you'll probably recall, esp. if you hear mine) was in 6/8 or 3/4. Bill's rearrangement is in 4/4, which I saw him do at a festival a couple of years ago and I've been messing around with it on & off since then. My rearrangement is because, well, I don't play like Bill Kirchen (my guitar doesn't seem to work as well as his, for some reason).

https://youtu.be/O3SctSZH6p4

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
That was a good job on that!!! (y)Good playing and singing.(y)(y) As far as your choice of instrument, obviously you are a man of impeccable taste and refinement! :D:cool::D

Reactions: dvs

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Thanks for you comments. I am a little disappointed about this, but when I first uploaded the song I realized I'd goofed up the rhythm (i.e., I messed up my counting) from what I wanted to do, so I quickly recorded another version, uploaded it and edited the post to link to the new video and deleted the goofy one. Fine, but days later when I listened more carefully to the replacement, I realized my singing was disturbingly out of tune. Aargh! A lot of work, and it feels like I'm making backward progress.

So I've been working on that, trying to figure it out. As I listened to a bunch of my recordings, while most of them were ok (and none were quite as bad as this one), a few were quite notably out of tune - and on most of those I was using my new in-ear monitors (IEMs). So I've been playing around with using the IEMs and not, and I don't have a solution but there's definitely a problem with how I hear my own voice through the IEMs.

Anyway I've posted another version I just did without IEMs which I'm a little less embarrassed about (though now there's too much gain on the guitar...it's always something, right?). Edit: I spent a good bit more time since I made this post researching and experimenting on singing with IEMs. The research told me about an "occlusion effect" and the experimenting helped minimize it. That, along with practice with the IEMs for a dozen or so experimental takes, seems to have helped. (So the IEMs can stay!}

The video in the first post is still up on youtube, at least for the time being - but don't be surprised if it disappears one day. The final replacement is here:

https://youtu.be/dheVULecXlk

Last edited: