Tele VS Thinline

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
So, some day I plan to add a second tele to the family.

I've noticed a trend to thinlines lately among our members.

I haven't even begun to do any research on thinlines.

I'm just interested in the groups ' take on one vs the other.

Let'er rip..........

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Oh-oh. Another opinions fest.

I own three Teles, one solid, two thinlines, and none of them have the stock pickups, and only one thinline is from Fender. I have never bonded with the Squier Classic Vibe Thinline even with nice "blues" pickups in it ... I don't even remember what pickups I stuffed in it ... I think Fralin, but not sure ... I never play the thing.

I have launched the two others to where no man has gone before with Gold Foil humbuckers in one and dual-lipstick humbuckers in the other, and I love them both.

Here is my Classic Vibe. Guess I'm just not a twangy guy.

2018-01-21 01.42.53.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I have seven telecasters, none of which are a thinlines. One is a semi-hollow body, but it's a rather odd duck. It doesn't say thinline on the headstock and it is much heavier than the true thinlines I have played. It also has no pickguard, which leads me to my only complaint, and it's a trivial one. I think thinline pickguards are ugly as sin. That's my only knock.
Likely that isn't an issue for you.

Chris_NC

Blues Newbie
I don't have any experience with the 'traditional' tele thinlines, but I had been searching for one of these for a long time and finally found one at the end of last year - a made in Japan, TLAC (thinline acoustic) tele. It has a lace sensor pickup in the neck, and piezo under the bridge, it also has the TBX tone control and a blend knob instead of pickup selector switches. I love it! Steve Winwood owns a couple of them and they show up in various videos with him playing.

As far as the thinline element here is my experience. I have a semi-hollow Ibanez Artcore - basically like a 335. For me, the dual F holes and more semi-hollow body make it a bit too trebly, and thin, even with humbuckers. This thinline tele body basically just has an open chamber on one side, so it makes it much lighter than a regular tele or strat, but it doesn't sound too thin on the tone. To me it still sounds like a solid body guitar. Not sure if that makes sense? I've actually been thinking of selling the Ibanez and getting a traditional thinline tele as well. I'm interested in your thoughts as you continue the pursuit!

IMG_7571.jpeg IMG_7572.jpeg IMG_7575.jpeg IMG_7576.jpeg

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've got 2 Teles. One is a MIM Roadworn. It's your traditional Tele. Then I've got a Squier CV 70s Thinline. It has those Fender wide range humbuckers in it. Or at least Squier's version of those.

I've never really found a sound in the regular Tele that I've fallen in love with. The neck pup on it sounds kind of like a generic guitar. I think the sound in my head is in the bridge pup, but I have a little trouble taming that one and getting it to not sound so ice picky. I'm sure that it's more that I just have never learned to tame a Tele more than it is the guitar. I'm sure it'll be like a reverb pedal and some day I'll pick it up and that sound I want will just be there.

The thinline, to me, doesn't really sound like I expect a semi-hollow to sound, but it also doesn't sound quite like your usual 2 humbucker guitar. It's its own unique guitar. Out of my 2 Teles, it's the one that I play far more than the other. It's also kind of turned in to my beater guitar...it's the one that I take when I travel and just want a guitar in tow.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
My telecaster thinline is a Squier Classic Vibe. It is pretty much the only tele I've played, so I can't say how it compares, but it plays great and feels light as air (at 6.25 lb, it weighs about 2 lb less than my Strat). I put Seymour Duncan quarter-pounder pickups in it and a Callaham bridge with brass compensated saddles, and I replaced the original pearlescent white pickguard with a black one.

The only downside of a thinline vs standard tele I can think of is that if you're inclined to swap the selector switch and the control knobs by turning the control plate around, you can't do that with the thinline. I do quite like the pickguard on the '69 style (the kind I have, w/ "regular" tele-style pickups), not so much the '72 style (w/ humbuckers or P-90s).

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I don't have any experience with the 'traditional' tele thinlines, but I had been searching for one of these for a long time and finally found one at the end of last year - a made in Japan, TLAC (thinline acoustic) tele. It has a lace sensor pickup in the neck, and piezo under the bridge, it also has the TBX tone control and a blend knob instead of pickup selector switches. I love it! Steve Winwood owns a couple of them and they show up in various videos with him playing.

As far as the thinline element here is my experience. I have a semi-hollow Ibanez Artcore - basically like a 335. For me, the dual F holes and more semi-hollow body make it a bit too trebly, and thin, even with humbuckers. This thinline tele body basically just has an open chamber on one side, so it makes it much lighter than a regular tele or strat, but it doesn't sound too thin on the tone. To me it still sounds like a solid body guitar. Not sure if that makes sense? I've actually been thinking of selling the Ibanez and getting a traditional thinline tele as well. I'm interested in your thoughts as you continue the pursuit!

View attachment 11746 View attachment 11747 View attachment 11748 View attachment 11749
Thanks for those observations.

Elwood

Blues
My first tele is a std, white, MIM tele, bone stock. Nothing wrong with that guitar at all. -until-
I got bit by the MIA bug and quickly convinced myself that the sky would never be the correct shade of blue unless I got,
My second tele. An Elite. Plays and sounds so sweet it hurts, really. It's not heavier than the std I just played it a whole lot more. Major pain issue.

I bought my thinline ("skinny" MIM) as a "concession" to my discomfort. I always thought a f-hole on a tele was just...well...stupid. I already had the best of the best on my elite and I loved that compound radius neck. The pickups sound so "airy" and clear. All that is just a reminder if you can't enjoy playing so I ordered my new thinline online from Dave's for $595. It was sold as used but still wore all the poly protectors, no play time, wow!

I bought it to be light and I wish it was lighter. But it is light enough to make the difference, I can play it when I want. Big surprise, I bonded with the 12" radius neck immediately. Feels real good. After a couple of iterations I have a set of S-D Vintage tele (low output) pickups on it with a traditional three way switch. I'm all done. Sounds great, plays great, done.

When I first got Skinny I was surprised, if a guitar has attitude this one does. Kinda snarly and punky or smooth and sweet. Works for me.

I have simple tastes. I don't suggest this is THE guitar for everyone, I sort of hope not. For the old songs I like, a Tele is the only electric I need. I'm lucky enough to settle on an electric guitar I really like after only three tries (I had a Guild T-100 with 2 cream p-90s for ever, sold it when I awoke to teleism). I don't like to do the "this sounds better than that" thing, I stand a better chance of changing my mind than yours. I will say that my second big surprise with Skinny came after I "decided" (code for screwed up) to go to the Seymore Duncan Vintage single coil pickups. I actually like them more than either the N3 noiseless that came on Skinny or the N4s on my Elite. No sour grapes, the elite is right here (in a case).

So, Moto, my take...A thinline is lighter (and still very much a tele!!!)- usually (had to guard against the certain pop up with the swamp ash, chambered, helium filled, 1.7lb guitar body, hey I might want one) and mine seems to be what works for me. Good luck with your hunt. With your recording, maybe a larger palette of sounds like a Nashville style body with 3 p/u?

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Mr. Moto, with your search for a 335 in mind, you seem to be one picky dude, and one who doesn't get into the pickup swapping thing or who just doesn't believe in that. To me, that means that all of the input from here is pretty much a moot exercise and you are left with just going to music shops and playing Teles until you find one you like.

I will say that when it comes to the feeling of a Tele, there is nothing like one. They are very light, quick-handling guitars. An analogy, if you are into firearms, might be the difference between a 45 Colt in a typical old west holster vs. one in a modern quick-draw holster. That feeling won't change whether it has standard Tele pickups, one hubucker and a single coil, dual humbuckers or a Nashville set up. But the sound/tone of those will change drastically.

Good luck with your search, and it will take many bags of popcorn. :) popcorn_1f37f.png

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Thanks everyone.
I never expect anyone to point me to a particular instrument, I just feel it's too personal of a decision.

I do like to hear what experiences others have had to help me open my eyes & ears to particular peculiarities.

RR mentioned my hunt for a 335.........
I knew that would take a while but, until I began test driving them, I had no idea how different each instrument could be.
That was certainly true between models and brands but, also individual instruments of the exact same model.

At this point I'm just in the info gathering phase so, when I go shopping I've got a good foundation of info to begin making decisions.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I bought a brand new Fender Thinline back in 1971 or 2. To me, it didn't really sound any different than a solid body guitar - I just liked how it looked. Somewhere along the way I sold it in order to buy a real archtop guitar.
A few years ago I got the itch for another Thinline but wound up buying a G&L Bluesboy (Thinline-like guitar). I was not happy with the PUPs in that guitar and sold it. It sure was a pretty shade of orange though. I probably should have just changed the PUPs. A good P90 in the neck position would be nice on that guitar IMO.
Now I find myself considering a Fender Custom FMT HH set neck Tele (not Thinline) which is basically Fender's take on a Les Paul with a longer scale (which I prefer).
My personal preference is for wide flat fingerboards, so most Teles never really clicked with me to the point of being my favorite players.
IMO, RR's comments above hit the nail on the head with regard to Teles.
It's all personal preference though in the end, so find what feels good to you.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I knew that would take a while but, until I began test driving them, I had no idea how different each instrument could be.
That was certainly true between models and brands but, also individual instruments of the exact same model..
That may be true of Teles as well so far as I know. I have purchased all of mine on-line, so obviously I didn't play several examples then pick one. Maybe others can shine a light on this?

Shodai

Blues Junior
Not a Tele fan, per-se. I don't have anything against them, but could never bond with them, until...

Fender made the Modern Player series... In China. It's true, really. Fender made and sold by Fender, built in China. Not counterfeits.

Anyway, the first Tele I ever felt good about was this one:
fender-modern-player-telecaster-plus-honey-burst-maple-250312.jpg
Humbucker in the bridge, with a coil split, standard Tele pick up in the neck position, and a strat style single cool in the middle. And a belly contour cut in the back. Very comfortable, and plays great.

I was so impressed that when I got the chance to grab the Modern Player Thinline I did:
fender-modern-player-telecaster-thinline-deluxe-127622.jpg
Also made in China, with Fender P90s.
Biggest difference is the weight. It's so much lighter than just about anything else I have.

I've played the traditional '69 Thinline design. Didn't notice a big difference in the sound compared to a regular old Tele, but again, a lot less weight.

ErnestCopenhaver

Blues Newbie
Not a Tele fan, per-se. I don't have anything against them, but could never bond with them, until...

Fender made the Modern Player series... In China. It's true, really. Fender made and sold by Fender, built in China. Not counterfeits.

Anyway, the first Tele I ever felt good about was this one:
View attachment 11762
Humbucker in the bridge, with a coil split, standard Tele pick up in the neck position, and a strat style single cool in the middle. And a belly contour cut in the back. Very comfortable, and plays great.

I was so impressed that when I got the chance to grab the Modern Player Thinline I did:
View attachment 11763
Also made in China, with Fender P90s.
Biggest difference is the weight. It's so much lighter than just about anything else I have.

I've played the traditional '69 Thinline design. Didn't notice a big difference in the sound compared to a regular old Tele, but again, a lot less weight.

The Fender Player series guitars are made in Mexico. I just bought a HSS Strat Plus Top aged cherry. I put locking tuners and a Graph Tech string tree on it and am picking it up today from my local luthier after he did a setup on it and installed a Graph Tech TUSQ XL nut.