Compact studio monitor recommendations

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
I recently purchased a IK Multimedia iRig Stomp I/O controller that I am quite pleased with. Integration with the modeling software, Amplitude 4.0, is seamless and can now access the looper, tuner and way more than I will ever use amp/pedal/cab/mike presets using foot switches and a built-in expression pedal. I connect using USB to a desktop PC which was a bit quirky to set up. I am outputting to a fender vibro champ but now that I am happy with the controller want to purchase compact monitors to clear up the cord clutter and make it a more permanent setup. The stomp outputs are 2 x 1/4" TRS balanced floating line outputs and a 1/4" stereo headphones output. What would you recommend for a decent sounding, compact monitors that won't break the bank.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I recently picked up a set of the iLoud Micro monitors and would highly recommended them.
Small platform, Amazingly big sound.
I use them as an alternate to my bigger monitors for mixing and quite frankly, If I had to, I could be fine with the minis only.
Monitors~1.jpg

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
"...connected to my DI" - can you explain what that means?

I have a Digital Interface (DI), a Focusrite Scarlett, sitting on my desk plugged into my desktop computer and handling its sound. The IK Multimedia speakers are plugged into that. They could also just as easily plug directly into the computer via the headphones jack but I tend to overcomplicate things. :cool:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I have a Digital Interface (DI), a Focusrite Scarlett, sitting on my desk plugged into my desktop computer and handling its sound. The IK Multimedia speakers are plugged into that. They could also just as easily plug directly into the computer via the headphones jack but I tend to overcomplicate things. :cool:
Ok, makes sense. Reminds me of one of my favorite principles - AAA!*

My confusion was because DI in the context of live music or studio recording I have always known to stand for Direct Input which, among other things, matches impedance between instrument or line and mic level signals. It wouldn't make sense to connect speakers to a DI box or to the DI output from an amp, multi-effects unit, etc. To a digital audio interface, though, that's another story and quite sensible.

*(Always Avoid Abbreviations)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
View attachment 11728
What would you recommend for a decent sounding, compact monitors that won't break the bank.[/QUOTE]
Totally depends on the size of your bank account and your volume requirements.
These inexpensive small 150 Watt Behringer monitors do fine for most stuff, but the big system blows them away as if they weren't even there. They say they ae 150 Watt speakers, but that is peak, and they are 40 Watt RMS.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behrin...itor-Speakers-with-USB-Input.gc#productDetail

IMG_0641.JPG

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
A lot of thought
RR
Was leaning towards the iLoud micro's considering size, price and many owners replaced their big monitors with them, but iLoud's are not currently available with no advice on when they will be available. Another patience test for an impatient fella.:eek:

Wish my set up was as organized as yours!
A lot of thought went into my setup. I had a very nice 400 Watt stereo power amp (800 Watts bridged mono). I found a very nice one-rack-unit 8-channel mixer and the one-rack-space BBE processor.
My idea was to put together a monitor system that could easily double as a good, loud, basic PA for playing out if I ever needed one.
Went looking for speakers and found these 15" three-way speakers with horns and piezos that can handle 750 Watts each and they were pretty inexpensive.
Went looking for a wood kitchen table with a top big enough to accommodate the setup in the picture ... and that search wasn't easy. Got the one with the biggest top I could find.
I had to have a 4-unit rack case custom built that was narrow enough to sit between those two speakers on that table and still have room enough for the speakers ... and the speakers hang over the edge by an inch on each side. :)

It works perfectly for me as a monitor system although the amp is barely on. When recording I like to listen to the backing track through the monitors and my guitar from the amp itself. And at volumes low enough to not set my neighbors on the war path. No problem at all now hearing the bass and drums! :):)

IMG_0529.JPG

https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rsg15/
Speakers may be inexpensive, but they sound REALLY GOOD and are built as rugged as a tank.
15 inch speakers.jpg

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
If you're looking for something cheaper than what's been mentioned, I got these Monoprice ones years ago and they sound great for the price. Unfortunately they appear to be out of stock right now.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

Haven't heard them, but the Presonus Eris series get good reviews as well.