Found it

dwparker

Bluesologist
Yeah, if we only had the resources back in the 70's that we have today, my guitar journey may have been way different.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Yeah, if we only had the resources back in the 70's that we have today, my guitar journey may have been way different.

And what resources did Page, Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV, B.B., et al have?

Lessons are fine to a degree, but they can't replace imagination, experimentation and learning from the endless mistakes and missteps you'll make along the way.

Many of them had that one simple book at the beginning, but after they learned a few basic things, the book disappeared and they took it from there.

It's a little like driving a forklift; you can learn what all the levers do, but the only way you'll ever get good at it is to drive it and learn from your mistakes.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
And what resources did Page, Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix, SRV, B.B., et al have?

Lessons are fine to a degree, but they can't replace imagination, experimentation and learning from the endless mistakes and missteps you'll make along the way.

Many of them had that one simple book at the beginning, but after they learned a few basic things, the book disappeared and they took it from there.

It's a little like driving a forklift; you can learn what all the levers do, but the only way you'll ever get good at it is to drive it and learn from your mistakes.

I would disagree on the Hendrix, not sure about the others. He actually came from a musical family and was surrounded by it

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I would disagree on the Hendrix, not sure about the others. He actually came from a musical family and was surrounded by it

According to everything I have read about Hendrix as well as the various biographies I have watched about him, he had no formal musical training and was essentially self-taught.

Coming from a musical family speaks more to genetics than actual training which I believe is a real thing, by the way. I think that's the fundamental difference between a musician and someone who learns to play an instrument.

Pretty much anyone can learn to play the notes, but not everyone can make those notes "swing" and having that inborn sense of rhythm, timing and phrasing is the genetic part.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
According to everything I have read about Hendrix as well as the various biographies I have watched about him, he had no formal musical training and was essentially self-taught.

Coming from a musical family speaks more to genetics than actual training which I believe is a real thing, by the way. I think that's the fundamental difference between a musician and someone who learns to play an instrument.

Pretty much anyone can learn to play the notes, but not everyone can make those notes "swing" and having that inborn sense of rhythm, timing and phrasing is the genetic part.
i was referring more to, he was around playing all the time with his family, when you play a lot with others, I know personally, I saw great improvements when I started going to jams