NGD - Pushing my luck

Shodai

Blues Junior
Well, she noticed this one. It was a CL find and a nice one at that.

A Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe. It's a semi-hollow with P90s, and Gibson style control layout.

IMG_20200413_100353862.jpg

She saw it. But she likes it and says I can keep it... As long as I get rid of the pickguard. Tortoise Shell has already been ordered.

The guy selling it told me he was selling it cheap because he thought it was a fake as it says "made in China" on the back of the headstock. Of course, the Modern Player series was made in China, but he wasn't aware that Fender made anything other than the USA and Mexico that wasn't a Squier. Didn't have the heart to tell him that the fakes from China say made in the USA. I almost felt bad about it, but it was fleeting, and the feeling passed.

End result is that I got a killer deal on a Thinline Tele with P90s that is wife approved.

IMG_20200413_100624783_opt.jpg

Gets pretty good reviews. Sounds different than anything else I have. My first set of P90s.

Last edited:

Shodai

Blues Junior
So far so good. Changed the strings, cleaned it up a bit. Adjusted the truss rod,
roughed out the intonation.
The string height is still off so I'll finish that and dial in the intonation tomorrow.

Neck is a bit thicker than my other Tele, and almost feels like my Les Paul. I think I'm going to like it.

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
This is the guitar that... a couple years ago when I was home for Christmas I stopped in at the local Guitar Center. I was looking for a hardtail Strat at the time. I ended up walking the row of used guitars and at that point was just looking at bridges as I walked.

Came across a hardtail bridge. Saw the P90s... I like P90s. I took it off the wall... yeah, this is pretty cool... this might work? It was that same guitar you have there.

As I was looking it over I got this feeling. This thing looked familiar... I knew this from somewhere... and then it hit me.

I already had one. On the wall at home. Same color and everything.

That's when I realized I probably didn't really need to be looking for another guitar.

Anyway yeah, I've enjoyed mine. I bought it new when they were still a current model and haven't changed a thing on it. The switch is getting a little flakey though so I'll probably use that as an excuse to replace all switches/pots/p'ups on it at some point.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Will it's done. Looks good. Sounds good. Very light.

Adjusted the string height this morning. Fender says to start at 4/64... Don't know why they don't just say 1/8.

Anyway, it's set to 3/64 at the 17th fret, with a perfect 12" radius to match the neck profile.

IMG_20200414_095429112_opt.jpg

I'll probably use it to record Lesson 6 from BGU, so you'll get to hear it soon.