How are you all doing?

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I know we try to make light of the situation we are all in. But I watch on the news the numbers of cases especially in the USA and the U.K. And it frightens me. How are you guys doing? I know a lot of you are of my generation and I am equally aware we are, apparently, at the most risk. So just thought I would start this thread then you can tell your personal journeys through this situation if you feel the need. I know we are not supposed to get political or religious on here but maybe we can be forgiven if we get the desire to get stuff off our chest at this challenging time. Please take care all of you and just to let you know you are all in myself and my families thoughts. Let's hope we all make it through and play many more red hot guitar licks in the future.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
In all honesty, things for my lady fair and me are going well. We're both fortunate in being able to work from home—in fact, both of us have done so off and on many times over the years so the transition was seamless. The closest thing to a worrisome situation came when, in one of the last days before we went into full-time WFH mode, I had a two hour face to face meeting with a subcontractor where we shared a desk and even a computer over the course of said meeting. Next week he was out of work and ended up testing positive for the virus. I did the resulting quarantine period but had no symptoms. Wasn't ever tested, but I believe I dodged the proverbial bullet (and my wife never showed any symptoms, either).

For us the only hassle is the social distancing requirements when we need to leave the house for necessities (which are thankfully still available though some selections are scarce). We're also dealing with a cat in poor health and the necessary interactions with our local vet clinic are somewhat onerous (but workable).

So, again, we're fortunate and doing as fine as can be. :Beer:

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm in a very fortunate situation. Just short of 3 years ago, I retired and moved to North Carolina. My wife and I have a 15 acre horse farm. We're 10 miles from the nearest town and about 1/4 mile from our nearest neighbor. We didn't go many places before this all started, so for us it's not a big deal. I made a few trips to hardware stores and Lowes to pick up most of my gardening supplies just before the shelter in place orders were issued. Other than that, I only leave for beer runs, to get diesel fuel for our tractor and gasoline for the lawn equipment. My wife satisfies her need to be out by going to the grocery store and the closest ones are doing an excellent job at keeping the carts clean and their stores sparkling. Ag products are considered essential and the places we do business with for hay and horse bedding deliver. The delivery people know the routine, so we are rarely in the barn when they deliver. So for us, life is pretty normal.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Given my wife and I have been retired for years, we don't have the need to get to work.
Other then missing getting together with family, cancelling a few appointments and not dining out, we are doing fine. Just being very vigilant when we need to venture out.

Like most things, if you're not directly impacted it's easy to minimize the impact of this situation.
-My granddaughter and her husband live on a military base in Alaska, they both contracted C19 and are recovering.
Alaska doesn't get routine supplies quite as readily as other places but, during this situation, most things, food included is hard to come by.
-My sister-in-law is a nurse and her life is filled with stress, No PPE, Overworked, Exposed to C19, Afraid she'll bring it home, Seeing personal tragedy and raw emotions every day.
-The local news reported on a "super spreader". A man attended a funeral one day and a birthday party the next.
Turns out he was unknowingly spreading the disease........the result........19 people sick, 3 dead so far, from two otherwise innocuous events.

Although no individual can be blamed for this virus, people should take responsibility for how they react to it.
I've been admonished for being political in the past so, I'll bite my tongue when it comes to making any comment about or leaders are doing.

I hope I won't be labeled as political if I suggest that the latest movement to fire the infectious disease expert in the middle of an outbreak is one of the most ridiculous things I can imagine.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I might add there was, actually, a semi-major upheaval: my wife and I had planned to fly down to New Orleans and then to Florida in mid-March to visit family and be there for my Dad's birthday. We ended up canceling out of fear of spreading the virus (with good cause, apparently, because that was dead in the midst of my quarantine period). We ended up eating the cost of the plane, rental car, and hotel bookings because we "voluntarily" cancelled rather than being forced to. Huge suckage but better than killing my parents. :Beer:

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
We're staying, in, having food delivered or picking up groceries brought out to our car at the supermarket.
Being retired for about 10 years now, sitting in the house and seeing no one is par for the course for me. I miss gigging some, but I still do front porch gigs for the neighbors.
Months into this thing and I still don't know anyone that has it or anyone that knows anyone that has it.

That's not to say I don't think it serious, but I also don't really trust the numbers being thrown about.

Confirmed cases? Until there is full testing everywhere, what does it really mean?
They aren't counting cases of people that have had it and recovered without going to a doctor either (No way that they could)
Deaths? I've read that just about any death of a person that after the fact tests positive is attributed to it.
Recovered? The number is very low because the CDC doesn't ask counties to report that number, so counties like Dallas County don't bother collecting that info.

We do what is suggested (Social distance & stay home). I firmly believe that it will be over within weeks unless there is another spike of cases.
That and $20 might get you a package of TP at the store.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
I own an A/E firm and before this crap hit we employed 90 people. Now we are down to around 30. Most of our clients have put a hold on all projects. We do mostly national multi-unit restaurant/retail work (Yum Brands, Panera, Arby's, Outback, Darden, mall based retail, etc.) some office projects and a little health care work. Retail is currently dead but our restaurant work is still crawling along. Still doing a fair amount of remodels for franchisees but corporate work is on hold except for our CM work for projects in construction.

Personally our doctor put us in quarantine at home (wife and two sons 28 and 23) because our youngest has had respiratory issues since he was born and that has been a trigger for this virus. Doing well but going crazy in isolation. The good news is I am getting more done around the house than I have in years and playing a lot of guitar!

Stay safe!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I own an A/E firm and before this crap hit we employed 90 people. Now we are down to around 30. Most of our clients have put a hold on all projects. We do mostly national multi-unit restaurant/retail work (Yum Brands, Panera, Arby's, Outback, Darden, mall based retail, etc.) some office projects and a little health care work. Retail is currently dead but our restaurant work is still crawling along. Still doing a fair amount of remodels for franchisees but corporate work is on hold except for our CM work for projects in construction.

Personally our doctor put us in quarantine at home (wife and two sons 28 and 23) because our youngest has had respiratory issues since he was born and that has been a trigger for this virus. Doing well but going crazy in isolation. The good news is I am getting more done around the house than I have in years and playing a lot of guitar!

Stay safe!
I'm very concerned that small businesses can survive.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Well, I'm kind of in the same boat as MikeS with regard to knowing anyone that has it/had it. Don't know anyone, and don't know anyone that knows anyone. But from the beginning I've said that if you really look at the numbers the chances of catching it are actually quite low, and if you take a look at how most people that get it respond and recover, the outlook is not nearly as bad as the hype. I'm not down playing the seriousness of it, it does spread fast, and it does have a potentially life threatening impact on certain high risk demographics. (see, I stayed politically correct and didn't even say Old People).

I'm truly disappointed in... the media. I know, you were expecting me to get political, but I didn't. But seriously, when I see headlines that say, "Tom Hanks Fighting For His Life", and then see his online posts saying he has flu like symptoms and is doing fine... And has since recovered and returned to the US (in case you were wondering). The media is creating much more panic than this situation deserves. One of the local college gymnasiums was converted to an emergency hospital overflow. Not a single patient there since it was converted. I'm not saying its not real, just overly hyped. Take the necessary precautions, and you 'll be fine. Be a dingus, and, well, I guess Ron White is correct, "You just can't fix stupid."

That said, my personal situation is actually not bad. I started off with a cold, so everyone thought I had "it", but I didn't. It was, in fact, a cold. I have been working from home by phone/email/video since the 13th of March. I even survived the TP shortage. Turns out that with all the restaurants closed the suppliers have warehouses of food and supplies sitting dormant and they're more than happy to sell some of it. I've got enough TP to last me for the year,

My wife is also working remotely and has taken over my music room as her office. So I guess there has been some suffering.

On the up side, I've acquired two new guitars, and she hasn't even noticed. I picked up the strat last week, which I already posted, and was able to snag a deal on a Telecaster Thinline with P90s this morning.

So, all in all, the apocalypse has been working out pretty well so far.

I hope that you are all safe, virus free, and playing some blues.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
I retired last summer when the company I worked at for the last 20 years closed the Phoenix office. I was offered to move to San Antonio TX and keep my job, but due to health issues with my wife I chose to stay in Phoenix and retire.

My wife has a compromised immune system due to Diabetes, Heart and Kidney disease. She has had 2 heart attacks and a stroke over the last 5 years. She is disabled and requires full time care now here at home. So, when the office closed up I kind of felt like it was providence. Now I am at home to care for her.

In mid February she was hospitalized for 8 days with Type A Influenza. She just recovered from that and was back home when the COVID-19 thing broke out. So far we are fine and have no symptoms. I am staying at home as much as possible except for necessities like grocery shopping, liquor store ;) or picking up prescriptions. I do have a couple of N95 masks I wear when I go out. I am using on-line ordering and store pick up and drive thru's whenever possible.

My wife's doctor arranged a home health care company to send a nurse and physical therapist to the house a couple of times a week to work with her and monitor her progress. but as soon as COVID-19 broke out I cancelled the home health care. I figured those people are exposed to a lot of people every day. The nurse they sent out told me she also works full time as an ER nurse.

My sister in-law is an ER nurse here in Phoenix and she has personally seen and been exposed to 5 cases so far.

I hope all of you stay safe.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I am a self imposed hermit, and plan on being that way. As far as social distancing, I wrote the book on that. I much prefer being around our furry friends than people. Hy and I are more than content to live out our days at the Compound. We are fully stocked for the next 4-5 months. You kids take this current situation very seriously. It seems that many do not take this as a more than serious matter. Money over lives is clearly not the answer. I will leave it at that...

Steve

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
My wife is a computer programmer so she can easily work from home and has been for several weeks. I have worked for Kroger Grocery stores (distribution center) for 35 years. We service 125 stores in Ohio, Michigan and West Virginia. This has pretty much been the craziest month at work that I can remember. We have about 500 people coming to work every day, working 10-16 hour days trying to keep our stores stocked. Things have finally started to settle down recently. My oldest daughter is a licensed massage therapist. Needless to say she has not been able to work. Her husband is also laid off. My youngest daughter and her husband are both able to work from home. I feel as though the drastic measures that have been put in place were probably warranted but I believe that the time is nearing that we need to start getting back to normal routines and get people back to work. The deaths from this are terrible and I don’t want to diminish them, but we are not going to be able to hide from it forever. There are also negative affects from shutting everything down and shutting people in. Maybe we have just been lucky at my work, but 500 people working long hours together day after day and not one reported case says a lot to me. Sorry if this comes across as a rant.

artyman

Fareham UK
Imprisoned over here in the UK in Stalag No2, managed to dig a tunnel and escape to the supermarket on an early morning raid and returned before the guards knew I was missing. The missus and I are coping well, I meet up online with a couple of guitar playing buddies each week, we are trying to get an online jam sorted, so far without success, so its the Virtual Jam Room for my fix. There are going to be a lot of tidy gardens and clean cars when this is over.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Ordinarily at this time of year, I'd be just finishing up the ski season and we'd be getting our second home packed up and road-ready (it's a motorhome), while getting our regular house (the one I'm sitting in now) packed up and ready for house-sitters. Instead, they shut down the ski area a month ago, and of course traveling for 6 months or so - like we usually do - is out of the question. So we stopped packing, helped our house-sitters find alternative housing, and set about hunkering down.

My wife plays drums. She is active on a drum website (drumeo.com), and I've been a lot more active here on this one. We've both been spending a good part of every day working on our music. So far we've each been focusing on our own things (her website has also been running "Challenges", for example). She broke her arm in January. She's been doing a lot of one-hand work and is just beginning to be able to use her left arm for hitting the drums again, so at some point pretty soon we'll get some collaborations going on again. I've been doing Griff's challenges, learning new songs, practicing old ones, working on courses, and trying to figure out how to sing from somewhere down in my chest rather than out my nose. At least, I think that's what I'm doing. Time will tell. I do feel like I'm learning a lot. I've never really bothered to spend this much time focused on learning to play. (I almost said I never had the opportunity, but that's not actually true - I've had plenty of time, I just never took it all before.) Anyway, the challenges and my attempts at recording myself have been forcing me to go a couple of steps beyond where I'd usually stop; I'm blown away by how much more I'm learning as I try to bring whatever I'm working on from a point where I think I can play it to a "performance-ready" state.

I live in a ski town in Vermont's Mad River Valley. We normally get a lot of visitors, but our year-round community is small and we're serious about staying ahead of the virus. Folks wear masks when they go out, we all limit our trips to the store and they limit the number of people who go inside at the same time. We take walks around the area for exercise, chat (across the road, from a safe distance) with friends and neighbors we meet on our walks, and do the occasional Zoom conference to catch up with friends farther away. There are some in our area who have the virus (a scant handful in a community of around 5,000 - a small percentage but certainly enough to be concerned about - and very few of us have been tested). If it starts to spread here, we're hosed. The nearest hospital is 30 miles away, and it's not very large.

Sue and I read the news online every morning. We try to keep aware of what's going on across the political spectrum by following NYT and WaPo, as well as WSJ and National Review. I can't look at FoxNews (we don't have television, just the internet, that's one reason...) and I've mostly stopped looking at facebook, which has surprisingly made me much calmer and happier.

Huge thanks to @Griff and you all, my fellow forum denizens, for this website and all that goes on here. Music is keeping us busy, sane, and happy. I don't know what I'd be doing without it!

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Ordinarily at this time of year, I'd be just finishing up the ski season and we'd be getting our second home packed up and road-ready (it's a motorhome), while getting our regular house (the one I'm sitting in now) packed up and ready for house-sitters. Instead, they shut down the ski area a month ago, and of course traveling for 6 months or so - like we usually do - is out of the question. So we stopped packing, helped our house-sitters find alternative housing, and set about hunkering down.

My wife plays drums. She is active on a drum website (drumeo.com), and I've been a lot more active here on this one. We've both been spending a good part of every day working on our music. So far we've each been focusing on our own things (her website has also been running "Challenges", for example). She broke her arm in January. She's been doing a lot of one-hand work and is just beginning to be able to use her left arm for hitting the drums again, so at some point pretty soon we'll get some collaborations going on again. I've been doing Griff's challenges, learning new songs, practicing old ones, working on courses, and trying to figure out how to sing from somewhere down in my chest rather than out my nose. At least, I think that's what I'm doing. Time will tell. I do feel like I'm learning a lot. I've never really bothered to spend this much time focused on learning to play. (I almost said I never had the opportunity, but that's not actually true - I've had plenty of time, I just never took it all before.) Anyway, the challenges and my attempts at recording myself have been forcing me to go a couple of steps beyond where I'd usually stop; I'm blown away by how much more I'm learning as I try to bring whatever I'm working on from a point where I think I can play it to a "performance-ready" state.

I live in a ski town in Vermont's Mad River Valley. We normally get a lot of visitors, but our year-round community is small and we're serious about staying ahead of the virus. Folks wear masks when they go out, we all limit our trips to the store and they limit the number of people who go inside at the same time. We take walks around the area for exercise, chat (across the road, from a safe distance) with friends and neighbors we meet on our walks, and do the occasional Zoom conference to catch up with friends farther away. There are some in our area who have the virus (a scant handful in a community of around 5,000 - a small percentage but certainly enough to be concerned about - and very few of us have been tested). If it starts to spread here, we're hosed. The nearest hospital is 30 miles away, and it's not very large.

Sue and I read the news online every morning. We try to keep aware of what's going on across the political spectrum by following NYT and WaPo, as well as WSJ and National Review. I can't look at FoxNews (we don't have television, just the internet, that's one reason...) and I've mostly stopped looking at facebook, which has surprisingly made me much calmer and happier.

Huge thanks to @Griff and you all, my fellow forum denizens, for this website and all that goes on here. Music is keeping us busy, sane, and happy. I don't know what I'd be doing without it!

Your comment about a small town hospital made me think of a friend living in a rural area with no ICU near by.
A few people in the area have the disease and are transported to the closest hospital 2 hrs away.
Now that hospital is at capacity so, even if no other c19 victims arrive, there is nothing available to help other emergencies patients such as heart attacks, farming accidents, burn victims and such.

People will suffer and die.

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I'm in Heating and Cooling and thus considered essential, so pretty much business as usual for me, other than in addition to booties we now wear gloves and masks in customers homes, I miss my kids and grand kids, new grandson last Thursday I've not yet got to meet, but with me working out in the wild it's not worth the chance of bringing harm to my family

PS: I also do not know or know anyone that knows someone whose had it

Last edited:

Boysie

Just for fun
I've been retired for over 30 years so I'm used to staying home a lot. My only changes are I now visit my doctor over the phone and I get my groceries home delivered over the net. What pisses me off is I can't just jump on my Harley and go for a ride to nowhere in particular anymore.j The ccp has a lot to answer for.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Some interesting stories guys. I also do not personally know of anyone who has contracted the virus, but the scale of the thing is kind of sobering. My wife works for the government but is seconded to the University of Canberra at this time. So she can work from home easily enough. It's my son I feel for, he got on a soccer scholarship for year 11 and 12 in a collaboration between Sydney FC and a Canberra college at the start of this year. Obviously he can't attend at the moment so he is missing out on some important coaching etc. He also plays for a premiership U18 team here and as with all sports, that has been cancelled as well. He is trying to keep his fitness going but motivation is difficult when we don't know when it's going to end. But on the whole we have got off lightly up to now and are doing OK. Keep safe and good luck to you all.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
My wife has a coworker and her father died from covid after almost recovering he was in icu ten days. My wife has a cousin in NYC also in icu just given last rites today.

This virus will be fought off by many without many symptoms but is extremely contagious. People that are older or carrying extra weight or with high blood pressure or other pre existing conditions are extremely at risk.

Anyone can die from it with the wrong reaction or set of circumstances.

It might be a good choice to ease up on alcohol or smoking for a while if appropriate.

Personally i am good so far been running outside a bunch. I get to work from home so thats all good for me!

Small businesses and bars / restaurants / entertainers going to take a big hit. Travel related and tourism related dang.

Hard for me to think the economic long term impact will not be deep and severe and world wide.

Reactions: EJG

arock

Help! I'm a rock
I know at least three people who have contracted C19, and they all work out of the office where the company I work for is housed. They are all on the recovery side of things now. Fortunately, I rarely go to the office. We have weekly teleconferences, and my base of operation has always been from home. I just leave a morning company voicemail stating what my plans are for the day. There is a fair amount of travel in my job, but I am trying to keep it to a minimum. Probably know a bunch more who are virus carriers since my job takes me to hospitals and surgery centers. As a person who services and repairs anesthesia machines and ventilators my job is considered essential. Sometimes feels more like sacrificial. My biggest concern is bringing the virus home to my wife. She is on meds for a heart condition. Out of the blue she had a heart attack last year, and it was discovered her heart was not pumping adequately; it was only working at about 35%. Very scary. But, she is fine on meds, and I want her to stay that way. She has not had to work outside the home for many years. Missing the grand-kids greatly, but we are doing well, all things considered. Most of my work is now just doing emergency repairs as opposed to routine service, so I am at home quite a bit. Rest assured, ventilators have a lot of redundancy built in, so it is rare to have one catastrophically fail. Playing a lot of guitar. Just finished learning solo 1 from the Modern Blues Soloing course, and my band is learning a few new songs for when we can finally get back together. Missing those guys. Stay safe everyone. Don't minimize this thing. It is real, and it can be deadly. Listen to doctors and scientists, not politicians who have their own selfish interests at heart.