A Song Surgeon Story

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi all.
Last month I took advantage of the cut-price deal that Griff set up, and got myself Song Surgeon 5. I've already got a lot of stuff from Griff and BGU, and I've had the 4-note solo for about 5 years.
OK, so I installed and set up Song Surgeon, watched all the Tutorial videos (this was before we got locked down by Covid) and set about trying it out... time has passed.
About a week ago I made one file with a loop of the first 12 bars of the 4-note solo, and another of the second 12 bars. And I've been playing along. AND IT'S THE BEST THING SINCE LIGHT-GAUGE STRINGS!!!
I can play the whole 24 bars (albeit not brilliantly), and my fret-hand ring finger is sore from the bends, but I'm getting that whole-tone bend down and I'm absolutely grinning from ear to ear. It's just as good as when I was 14 and learned "Apache" from my first guitar teacher.
Thank you, Griff for providing me with the means to REALLY make genuine progress, and to do it quickly, while enjoying every minute of the journey.
from Chris G in Australia.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Hi all.
Last month I took advantage of the cut-price deal that Griff set up, and got myself Song Surgeon 5. I've already got a lot of stuff from Griff and BGU, and I've had the 4-note solo for about 5 years.
OK, so I installed and set up Song Surgeon, watched all the Tutorial videos (this was before we got locked down by Covid) and set about trying it out... time has passed.
About a week ago I made one file with a loop of the first 12 bars of the 4-note solo, and another of the second 12 bars. And I've been playing along. AND IT'S THE BEST THING SINCE LIGHT-GAUGE STRINGS!!!
I can play the whole 24 bars (albeit not brilliantly), and my fret-hand ring finger is sore from the bends, but I'm getting that whole-tone bend down and I'm absolutely grinning from ear to ear. It's just as good as when I was 14 and learned "Apache" from my first guitar teacher.
Thank you, Griff for providing me with the means to REALLY make genuine progress, and to do it quickly, while enjoying every minute of the journey.
from Chris G in Australia.

Hi Chris - it's great to read feedback about your experience with Song Surgeon. Each feedback like this makes it so much easier to decide about purchasing this software. BTW - where're you from in Australia? I'm an ex-pat from Doncaster, Melbourne :Beer:

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi Chris - it's great to read feedback about your experience with Song Surgeon. Each feedback like this makes it so much easier to decide about purchasing this software. BTW - where're you from in Australia? I'm an ex-pat from Doncaster, Melbourne :Beer:
Hi John-G. I presently live on the NSW South Coast near Nowra, but I grew up in Sydney. I lived at Port Macquarie on the mid-North Coast for many years, so I really LOVE your avatar picture - Port is home to the Koala Hospital that has been doing so much good for injured and orphaned koalas due to the recent bushfires. At our place in Port we used to frequently get koalas in the garden (yep, in the garden, all year round and often more than one at a time) and we just love those little guys and gals.
Song Surgeon has been great. Just the ability to make a loop, save the file, then play it back and play along (over and over and over.....) has been brilliant. And I can record my efforts and listen back, then try again, etc. The video recording has not been so great, but I think the machine is the problem rather than the software (a ten-year old laptop with 2GB RAM and a slow processor), so I think a machine with decent RAM and especially a good video card would help for video recording.
If you're thinking about SS, I'd recommend it, but be prepared to put in some time learning how to use it. It's not entry-level software, but it's really good. I've only had it for a month and I reckon it's already paid for itself.
Cheers from "home"
Chris G.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Hi John-G. I presently live on the NSW South Coast near Nowra, but I grew up in Sydney. I lived at Port Macquarie on the mid-North Coast for many years, so I really LOVE your avatar picture - Port is home to the Koala Hospital that has been doing so much good for injured and orphaned koalas due to the recent bushfires. At our place in Port we used to frequently get koalas in the garden (yep, in the garden, all year round and often more than one at a time) and we just love those little guys and gals.
Song Surgeon has been great. Just the ability to make a loop, save the file, then play it back and play along (over and over and over.....) has been brilliant. And I can record my efforts and listen back, then try again, etc. The video recording has not been so great, but I think the machine is the problem rather than the software (a ten-year old laptop with 2GB RAM and a slow processor), so I think a machine with decent RAM and especially a good video card would help for video recording.
If you're thinking about SS, I'd recommend it, but be prepared to put in some time learning how to use it. It's not entry-level software, but it's really good. I've only had it for a month and I reckon it's already paid for itself.
Cheers from "home"
Chris G.
So sorry John, I was dreaming when I talked about video recording - that's a different product. Song Surgeon doesn't do video recording, unless it's an easter egg that I haven't found. Apologies. Chris.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
So sorry John, I was dreaming when I talked about video recording - that's a different product. Song Surgeon doesn't do video recording, unless it's an easter egg that I haven't found. Apologies. Chris.
All's cool, no sweat. Stay safe mate :Beer:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Had SS for many years as Griff recommended it quite a while ago if I recall. I think the same company do a video surgeon type app as well. Not far from you Chris over in Bungendore NSW.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Had SS for many years as Griff recommended it quite a while ago if I recall. I think the same company do a video surgeon type app as well. Not far from you Chris over in Bungendore NSW.
Hey Mike, I guess you were looking Down at the fires that I was looking Up at? The park at the War Memorial in Bungendore is a regular "pit stop" for us when driving or riding up to Canberra.
Cheers from Sanctuary Point.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Yea, survived the fires, just hoping we survive the virus now. Must be a plague of locust next :sick: