The Blues Halfstep and SRV

dwparker

Bluesologist
I was listening to some SRV this morning and noticed in the song Cold Shot he uses several variations of the blues halfstep in the song. I don't have a question on this or anything, I just want to say how cool it was to see a direct application of these lessons on a real recording by one of the giants of blues guitar. That was really motivating! Time to go practice.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I just want to say how cool it was to see a direct application of these lessons on a real recording by one of the giants of blues guitar.
It's always cool to hear things like that. I think my first time hearing something that I had just learned in BGU was when I heard SRV "Empty Arms" right after going through the Stormy Slide lesson. The tempo was a little different, but it was still exactly what I had just seen in the lesson. Like you said, those moments are pretty motivating. :Beer:

JackWalker

Blues Newbie
I have been working on the half step lesson and I know I have heard it but have not been able to put my finger on what songs. I kept thinking maybe some jazz recordings. I have been playing with it using different keys and chord shapes and it sounds cool. This is a challenging lesson but it seems like all of these cover a lot more technique than meets the eye once you get going on them.

dwparker

Bluesologist
" I have been playing with it using different keys and chord shapes and it sounds cool."

I do that at times as well with different lessons. I think it helps solidify things.

Last edited:

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
" I have been playing with it using different keys and chord shapes and it sounds cool."

I do that at times as well with different lessons. I think it helps solidify things.
I agree it’s good to push myself and try them in different keys. If you think that’s inspiring wait until you try the “Tore down” lesson ... Awesome.