BB King Amp Settings

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Later BB is a Fender Twin Reverb (tube), all controls dimed. Early BB is a variety of other mostly Fender amps similarly dimed.

Running humbuckers into a dimed Silverface twin will NOT be clean at max volume, BB used the control on the guitar to clean up.

Now the bad news: Cranking a Twin Reverb in your basement man cave will peel the paint off your walls and crack your foundation! I recommend foam ear plugs plus a pair of shooting muffs over your ears. The combination makes the volume quite manageable and as a bonus, you won’t hear your wife screaming at you to turn it down.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
As clean as you can get it, BB played a solid state fender, if my memory serves me!

Think it was a Gibson Lab Series every time I saw him he was playing

"
LAB SERIES L5
Everyone knows it as the “B.B. King” amp, but it’s also the Ronnie Montrose amp—and the Ty Tabor amp. They can readily be had for less than $200 because people just want to get rid of them. It’s simply a kick-ass, solid-state amp. I like the immediacy of the older solid-state amps—they’re so punchy. The new digital solid-state junk is another story, but the old stuff is killin’. B.B.’s tone is great with the Lab Series. It’s warm and creamy and much more consistent than a Twin.

upload_2020-2-26_18-47-2.png

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21453-joe-bonamassas-5-most-underrated-amps

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Think it was a Gibson Lab Series every time I saw him he was playing

"
LAB SERIES L5
Everyone knows it as the “B.B. King” amp, but it’s also the Ronnie Montrose amp—and the Ty Tabor amp. They can readily be had for less than $200 because people just want to get rid of them. It’s simply a kick-ass, solid-state amp. I like the immediacy of the older solid-state amps—they’re so punchy. The new digital solid-state junk is another story, but the old stuff is killin’. B.B.’s tone is great with the Lab Series. It’s warm and creamy and much more consistent than a Twin.

View attachment 10531

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21453-joe-bonamassas-5-most-underrated-amps
"Lab Series" is what he was using both times I saw him---2010 and 2013 ---his sound is not a easy one to dial in..

straightblues

Blues Junior
I have one of the Gibson Lab amps and it does get the BB King sound. I also have one of the Peavey Bandits. The Peavey is not nearly as punchy as the Gibson is but you can get there. I would recommend turning the Peavey up loud and running the gain up to (6-8) in order to get a dirty tone. Then turn your guitars volume knob down (5-7) to clean it up. Then experiment until it sounds right. It is a sustained punchy clean tone you are after. It is hard to get a lower volumes.

straightblues

Blues Junior
How's this sound? This is with a little drive and playing on the neck pickup.

https://youtu.be/Fw20U8AO4N0

Sounds good. You are on the right track for sure! I think your tone could use just a little more gain and a little more treble bit.

So, I think you could turn the gain on the amp up 1 or 2 notches or turn your guitars volume up 1 or 2 notches. I think turning the amps gain up will give you more bite than turning your guitars volume up, but try it both way. Also add a bit more treble on the amp.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
A 339 or similar hollow body will give more air and more space in nailing that BB tone. Also light gauge strings, he used .08’s and a light touch on the fretboard exceptwhen nailing that monster vibrato. When they say tone is in the fingers, this guy wrote the book.

straightblues

Blues Junior
Check out this rig rundown. At the 5:15 mark of the video this guy talks about the different tones he is able to get with just the volume knob on his guitar. This is what I am talking about. He is using too much gain for BB but the theory is still the same.

At 10:30 of the video he plays the clean channel of the amp without a boost. He is still getting a lot of bite when he turns his guitar down.

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...-65645977&mc_cid=792874c91c&mc_eid=cd14f807e9

Last edited:

James77

Student of the Blues
A 339 or similar hollow body will give more air and more space in nailing that BB tone. Also light gauge strings, he used .08’s and a light touch on the fretboard exceptwhen nailing that monster vibrato. When they say tone is in the fingers, this guy wrote the book.

I have a Washburn B9 Orleans.