Miscellaneous Today I officially became a full fledged guitar geek!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I can never seem to get the strobe to stop in one place.
Maybe I have for crap machine heads on my guitars?
With this tuner, I've already discovered that on most guitars, the volume shouldn't be all the way up and the tone turned all the way down. Also, I found the pitch doesn't wander nearly as much if you pluck the string right at the bridge. I've also found (with new, locking Grovers) that if I get the pitch dead on, it will go slightly flat when I take my hand off the tuning knob. It's that sensitive. I'm sure my learning curve has only begun.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
With this tuner, I've already discovered that on most guitars, the volume shouldn't be all the way up and the tone turned all the way down. Also, I found the pitch doesn't wander nearly as much if you pluck the string right at the bridge. I've also found (with new, locking Grovers) that if I get the pitch dead on, it will go slightly flat when I take my hand off the tuning knob. It's that sensitive. I'm sure my learning curve has only begun.

Might be time to dig mine back out and try again.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
And to think that for hundreds of years countless symphony orchestras have delighted countless audiences by playing some of the most beautiful music ever written and beginning each performance by having the entire ensemble tune to a humble oboist playing an "A". :whistle:

That's pretty much how I checked calibration on this gadget! I called the NIST radio station WWV and listened to their audio stream at 2 minutes past the hour, when they broadcast a precise 440Hz tone for one minute.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
That's why you have to buy a 2-pack. :LOL:
I have to say, I've got about 6 of them and not one has broken (knock on wood). :whistle:

I have one, yet unbroken, but it doesn’t get much use so there’s that. I’ve become a TC Polytune guy, both pedal and clip on. The strobe setting seems pretty accurate to my untrained ear.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
The Snark may claim whatever accuracy they want, I find them impossible to use to that precision compared to a strobe tuner.