So it begins

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have had a bass amp for 6 or 7 months, only bought it because it had an XLR out for recording when a buddy of mine comes over.

Finally made the jump, bought a standard cookie cutter Ibanez Bass last night, gets released from the hold period at GC on Saturday

Now the big decision, pick or fingers

out of curiosity, those that play both, do you find it helps the strength in hour hand playing a regular guitar since the strings are thicker ?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Speaking only for myself, I don't find much difference. But I'm sure my fretting hand is a bit stronger than if I didn't play bass at all. Also, I tend to play slightly heavier strings (.050-.105) than come on most basses from the factory (.045-.100 for Fender). While a good setup is important on both a guitar and a bass, it can be make or break a bass.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I don't really play bass...had a MIJ Fender Jazz that I sold years ago...dumb me...my brother plays bass...my .02...any practice will make the hands stronger and if I were gonna play bass, I'd use my fingers most of the time...more options available...later.

cowboy

Shodai

Blues Junior
I'm not sure that you could call what I do "playing bass", but when I do it's 50/50 with regard to picks and fingers. Depends on what I'm playing.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I use a pick on guitar, and fingers on bass.

It's not really a strength thing. You fret with the pads of your fingers, not the tips on the bass.

Still struggling with getting the fingers placed just behind the fret on the bass. If you have it in the right spot, then it won't buzz, and you don't need excessive force.

Something satisfying about the bass?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I learned bass just using my fingers and I find using a pick to be really awkward. It's a little frustrating because I know there are some great sounds to be made with a pick, but I will really need to work on that. I'm not sure it's really helped my guitar playing from the standpoint of my right hand. But, my fretboard knowledge has really increased, as has my ability to stretch my fingers a bit more. As @CapnDenny1 has mentioned, that need to hit just the right spot behind the fret to avoid the buzz really makes me focus much more on my left hand than my right.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I'm a bass newbie, but Steve Araujo from the Bass Hang did a seminar at BGU LIVE in 2014? I have his course. He plays with his fingers, as do most bass players I've seen. I trust that he knows what he's talking about. :oops:

straightblues

Blues Junior
You fret with the pads of your fingers, not the tips on the bass.

This. You play with the pads of your fingers not your finger tips on your fretting hand. If you play with the finger tips you will rip off your calluses. Trust me I have done it.

I play with both pick and fingers. For blues it is usually fingers, for rock it is usually a pick.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
This. You play with the pads of your fingers not your finger tips on your fretting hand. If you play with the finger tips you will rip off your calluses. Trust me I have done it.

I play with both pick and fingers. For blues it is usually fingers, for rock it is usually a pick.
thats good to know

BigMike

Blues Oldie
I also play fingerstyle mainly for blues but I do like the sound of a picked bass which I use for the more rock/blues stuff. Agree about the bass setup, crucial to get it spot on.

aleclee

Tribe of One
I'd say whatever you're more comfortable with. I prefer the sound of fingers but rubber picks get me close enough tone-wise that I no longer worry about it.