Introducing myself: Hello!

MaryAnnVorasky

Blues Newbie
Hello All:

My name is Mary Ann. I'm a new member who has been enjoying Griff's videos from his e-newsletters for years. I finally decided to get some lessons, starting with Minor Pentatonic Blues, which came with 4-note Soloing lesson videos, too. I'm very happy to become part of Griff's community!

I have a show coming up on Feb 6 in N. Hollywood, CA at The Other Door Bar, 9PM (for any of you in my neck of the woods). I am so far appreciating how working through the lessons is making my finger placement more sure so I can sing and not have to look down so much at the fretboard. Also, it's helped me figure out some blues solos, recognizing they are just simple these little patterns that sound so great!

I'm planning to get an AKG C520 headset mic so I can stop having to step up to a mic altogether but haven't yet. I like hunkering down with my guitar and singing softly in my home studio so I am setting up my live gear so that performing can be as much like hunkering down in a corner at home as possible. I'm also using a Voicelive 3 pedal for guitar/vocal effects and harmonies. It's best with a supercardiod mic to keep down unwanted feedback, but I'm wanting to use a wired system and can't find a supercardiod headset mic that isn't wireless. But since it's right in front of my mouth I think it will work.

If anyone has experience in a live performance setting with any of the equipment I've mentioned above, feel free to share! Otherwise, just feel free to give a shout out and say hello if you are so inclined. I'm looking forward to reading other people's entries and getting to know other guitarists/performers in the forum.

Best regards,
Mary Ann V

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Wow!! A show in Holywood!!!! Cool:cool: We have a superstar in our midst!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welcome to the forum Mary Ann. Do you do any of your own material? If you do, feel free to let us hear you down in the Basement. (Other Members Recordings) Have fun.(y)

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the forum!

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

MaryAnnVorasky

Blues Newbie
Wow!! A show in Holywood!!!! Cool:cool: We have a superstar in our midst!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welcome to the forum Mary Ann. Do you do any of your own material? If you do, feel free to let us hear you down in the Basement. (Other Members Recordings) Have fun.(y)
Hello Many Moons! Thanks for the reminder to have fun with it!! It's a little nerve-wracking coming back to performing after years away. I do have material of my own. I would just want to share a link to my newest record (an EP) which is on bandcamp, and my old CD's on there, too. I'm not sure I qualify yet to post a link but will try one below. There's an original blues song on my first CD. The song is called Like a Peach. I played rhythm guitar on it, not lead, Kevin Harris my co-producer on that was a multi-instrumentalist and did a lot of the lead work, while I did all the rhythm parts because we built the CD around my acoustic guitar/vocal originals. (I got more electronic on the new EP.) I've been working on the lead part for Like a Peach in case I can play it live (prob not on 2/6 based on how I'm coming along!!). But the BGU lessons have helped me learn it; couldn't just do it by slowing it down, I had to learn the mechanics of blues solos to understand what I was hearing. Now it's a matter of timing. Haven't quite gotten the count right on it yet. Here's the link, if it will work:

https://maryannvelocity1.bandcamp.com/album/maryannvelocity

MaryAnnVorasky

Blues Newbie
Welcome to the forum!

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

Glad to hear that, and already feeling welcome :) Thanks for the reply!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hello All:

My name is Mary Ann. I'm a new member who has been enjoying Griff's videos from his e-newsletters for years. I finally decided to get some lessons, starting with Minor Pentatonic Blues, which came with 4-note Soloing lesson videos, too. I'm very happy to become part of Griff's community!

I have a show coming up on Feb 6 in N. Hollywood, CA at The Other Door Bar, 9PM (for any of you in my neck of the woods). I am so far appreciating how working through the lessons is making my finger placement more sure so I can sing and not have to look down so much at the fretboard. Also, it's helped me figure out some blues solos, recognizing they are just simple these little patterns that sound so great!

I'm planning to get an AKG C520 headset mic so I can stop having to step up to a mic altogether but haven't yet. I like hunkering down with my guitar and singing softly in my home studio so I am setting up my live gear so that performing can be as much like hunkering down in a corner at home as possible. I'm also using a Voicelive 3 pedal for guitar/vocal effects and harmonies. It's best with a supercardiod mic to keep down unwanted feedback, but I'm wanting to use a wired system and can't find a supercardiod headset mic that isn't wireless. But since it's right in front of my mouth I think it will work.

If anyone has experience in a live performance setting with any of the equipment I've mentioned above, feel free to share! Otherwise, just feel free to give a shout out and say hello if you are so inclined. I'm looking forward to reading other people's entries and getting to know other guitarists/performers in the forum.

Best regards,
Mary Ann V

Hi Mary Ann, welcome to the Forum.
I've been using the TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX for several years and I love it.
Looking at the new Voicelive-3 Extreme has me thinking it may be time to upgrade, but that's a pretty hefty price tag.

I'd live to hear your thought on the AKG C520 after you've used it a while. How does the sound quality compare to a normal larger mic (SM57 type)??

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome!
Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Checked out your BandCamp :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Beautiful voice:), some nice songs there.

About your mic selection.
I have no experience with that headset but,...........
Based upon your comments about wanting that up close and intimate feeling, I'd say you're going in the right direction .......but!

The but is, ......using a headset puts the mic right up on your mouth eliminating any opportunity to control dynamics by moving close or backing away so, if you have good control over your vocal dynamics you'll be golden.
If your performing behavior is more traditional ( moving near/far) you may be disappointed.

Having said all that, after listening to your BandCamp songs I'd guess a headset will work well for your song style.

Your in a good place to learn.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hello All:

Best regards,
Mary Ann V

Welcome to the group! Make sure to post your headset mic question down in the Gear forum. I haven't seen it come up before, but odds are good that you will get some input there.

I'm actually in your neck of the woods and would love to drop in on a show sometime. Several of us meet up for a jam in Orange County every 2-3 months, or so. If you would like to join us, message me your email and I will add you to the email list. There are a few videos of our January jam posted in the "Gigs & Jams - past, present and future" forum.