Amps Time To Change It Up?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
As I ponder what I'm missing, I'm not sure I need an amp....maybe some sort of simulator.
I know this technology is amazing, however, I have personal aversion to endless menus displayed on little LED screens.

I'm searching for something with good old fashioned knob/switches/dials.
I'll update when I crawl back out of the internet maze.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
If you only use this stuff in the studio why not get a pc/mac (which ever your preference) based simulator, Something like the Studio devil (same modeling that Atomic uses) or Helix native or similar. No small menus all displayed in glory on your xx" monitor. and if you input a dry signal drom the guitar then you can try different sounds until you find one tht fits.

cheers

Al.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
If you only use this stuff in the studio why not get a pc/mac (which ever your preference) based simulator, Something like the Studio devil (same modeling that Atomic uses) or Helix native or similar. No small menus all displayed in glory on your xx" monitor. and if you input a dry signal drom the guitar then you can try different sounds until you find one tht fits.

cheers

Al.
Thanks for weighing in Al,
I already have amp sim software on my PC.
I'm trying to avoid anything computer based.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I could be way off base here, but trying to read between the lines, what I think I am hearing is that what you really are looking for is something to provide a source of new inspiration - something different and fresh sounding. Am I right?
Inspiration can certainly come from some new gear. I am not a pedal guy, but right now I have my eye on that OKKO GH (Gregor Hilden signature model) pedal.
Inspiration can also come from other sources that are free.
For me, it's usually delving into some different genre of music for at least a short while, looking for something that I can incorporate into my own boring style of playing.
How is it that "hitting a plateau", and "getting stuck in a rut" are essentially the same thing?
A person needs to change something up to get beyond it it seems.
Good luck!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I could be way off base here, but trying to read between the lines, what I think I am hearing is that what you really are looking for is something to provide a source of new inspiration - something different and fresh sounding. Am I right?
Inspiration can certainly come from some new gear. I am not a pedal guy, but right now I have my eye on that OKKO GH (Gregor Hilden signature model) pedal.
Inspiration can also come from other sources that are free.
For me, it's usually delving into some different genre of music for at least a short while, looking for something that I can incorporate into my own boring style of playing.
How is it that "hitting a plateau", and "getting stuck in a rut" are essentially the same thing?
A person needs to change something up to get beyond it it seems.
Good luck!
OG,
Very insightful.
I'd agree with your assessment to a point.
I'm looking for some new flavor in my tone.
As somebody mentioned earlier, I could get that from plugins or other software but, I already spend too much time on the computer, I'm looking for a bridge between all the latest tech and the old school analog world.

I find these two devises interesting:

Both very similar to this unit from Two Notes just knobs and switches instead of LED menus.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TorpedoCABM--two-notes-torpedo-cab-m-speaker-simulator-pedal?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3332697036&product_id=TorpedoCABM&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20SKU%20-%20Guitars&adgroup=Guitar%20Amps%20-%20Two%20Notes%20-%20torpedocabm&placement=google&creative=337614398537&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxMv7kYml5wIVAdbACh3Ymg0WEAQYAiABEgJErfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not to be forgotten is this from Blu amp:
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...VS73ACh2XxwZIEAQYCSABEgKYP_D_BwE#youTubeVideo

Last edited:

aleclee

Tribe of One
2. What would I add that would give me a completely new flavor that I don't have now.?
As someone who's spent a goodly bit of money on gear over the years, I'd highly recommend that you make sure you have a solid idea of what that "completely new flavor" is that you want before opening your wallet. IME, the best gear purchases are made to "solve a specific problem" rather than chasing some amorphous concept like "different" or "better". Better to have a goal of "something that sounds like ______" than simply looking for a change of pace.

Decide if you're looking for something along the lines of a Vox / Marshall / Dumble in searching for something to complement the Vicky. After you have an idea of the target, you can do a much more effective search to address the need. You might end up surprising yourself and finding that a pedal rather than an amp is the most effective way to get there.

Finally, sell the Nace unless you have issues with money burning a hole in your pocket. You'll be able to hop on any deals that might present themselves and will know how much money you have to play with.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
As someone who's spent a goodly bit of money on gear over the years, I'd highly recommend that you make sure you have a solid idea of what that "completely new flavor" is that you want before opening your wallet. IME, the best gear purchases are made to "solve a specific problem" rather than chasing some amorphous concept like "different" or "better". Better to have a goal of "something that sounds like ______" than simply looking for a change of pace.

Decide if you're looking for something along the lines of a Vox / Marshall / Dumble in searching for something to complement the Vicky. After you have an idea of the target, you can do a much more effective search to address the need. You might end up surprising yourself and finding that a pedal rather than an amp is the most effective way to get there.

Finally, sell the Nace unless you have issues with money burning a hole in your pocket. You'll be able to hop on any deals that might present themselves and will know how much money you have to play with.
Thanks Aleclee,
I'm moving in that direction.
The Amp/Cab sims I mention above are all similar.
I think I'm leaning to something that will get me to Vox village and maybe a detour to Marshal land.
So, I'm looking at stuff that emulates EL34s and various cabs.

The Above mentioned Tsakalis Multi Cab just hit NAMM and will be available soon....I like that one but I don't have all the specs yet to compare it to the Nux unit, which is #2 on the current list.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I didnt see a buggera in the mix, nice marshall clone
Nope, If I want a Marshall, I'd probably get a Marshall but, at this moment, I'm leaning toward something I can plug into my own amps and get close.
I haven't convinced myself I actually need an new amp, maybe something that helps me expand what I have.
Of course..............that's today's view:rolleyes:

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
If you wan't to go the pedal route in front of a clean amp here are the ones I would look at: (you can find tons of each type but these ones are all highly rated)

1. Black Face (Silver Face) Fender - Klon, Lovepedal Blackface Deluxe, Barber B Custom Cool, lovepedal Super Six.

2. Tweed Fender - Clark Gainster, Lovepedal 5E3 or Les Luis, Wampler Tweed 57.

3. Vox - Bearfoot Emerald Green , PettyJohn Chime, Catalinbread CB30, Joyo AC Tone

4. Marshall - Lovepedal Purple Plexi, Suhr Riot, LovePedal COT, JHS Angry Charlie, Marshall Guvnor.

5. Octal Preamp - Walrus Audio 385, Nocturne Brain Jr. Barnyard, JHS Superbolt, Catalinbread Valcoder

If you just want a bunch of new sounds, how about a multi effects unit. I recently got a Line 6 HXFX. It has a ton of sounds, it is easy to use, and has been a lot of fun.

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Small amps have there purpose but for that rock flavor

Chose a marshall ( the 100 watt mg , solid state with a 4x4 cab if you don't want to do tubes is a good choice) with the Boss ME- 80 multi effects

gets the job done

But then - I like it Loud

Peace

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@straightblues , @Mickey Duane,
I think I've got Fender covered and I also get close to Marshal with a Wampler Plexi-Drive so, I think I'll focus on Vox.

I know that Multi effect units can deliver anything you want.
I'm avoiding those because I've been down that path a few times and I just never bonded with them.

Had a little Pandora loaded with all kinds of tones, gave it away, Boss ME 25, sold it, Boss GT-001, sold it, Eleven Rack, sold it.

I'll be checking out those recommended pedals.

What I find appealing with the cab sims is the flexibility for connecting them.
- They can be used in the pedal chain
- Go between the amp and the speaker
- They have a direct out to P/A, Mixer, Interface.

Back to the search.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well for those trying to help me.......
Here's my latest thinking:
-Keep the NACE
-Use a cab sim box to shape the tone

So, that gives me:
- The Victoria with 6v6s,
- Godsell with El84s
- Nace with simulated EL34 or 6L6 and various cabs.

All three are hooked up to my pedal board so, any pedal flavor can be applied to any or all three.
This keeps me comfortable in tube land with no need to buy a new amp or loose myself in endless menus.

Thanks everyone.