DIgital Modeling My Silent Practice Rig & Recording Station

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
My wife and I live in an "in-laws" apartment attached to our daughters home. I needed to put together a decent recording rig as I've been without since moving into this apartment 3 years ago. I had to downsize from a 24 x 24 foot man cave to a 10 x 12 bedroom loaded with bed and essential furniture. Also, my daughter is expecting and we wilI have a new grand daughter within several weeks, so I need to have a good silent type practice rig that will have the sounds/tones I desire, that can be difficult to obtain when using headphones. Unfortunately, my Mustang 3 headphone output does not suit my sonic needs. After a lot of research, I have come up with the following semi-portable practice rig and recording setup:

0fdiuh05loxbz366g.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the heart of this setup:
0fbcns4fn0soes06g.jpg

It has a small pedalboard arrangement. Signal path is guitar > Strobostomp Classic tuner > JRockett Blue Note > Wampler Clarksdale > Chase Tone Secret Preamp > Wampler Black 65 (used as preamp) > Two notes Torpedo CAB M > Behringer UMC404HD audio interface > usb to laptop w/ Reaper for the DAW.

I also have a MXL 990 condenser mic on the small boom mounted on the desktop that I plan on using to record my resonator slide playing once I have everything working properly.

So far, I have some Fender Twin style cabinets set up 90% to my liking, still tweaking a bit. I will have a great time practicing with headphones, finally! I know the family will appreciate this after being up late at night with a newborn infant. Sooner or later, I plan on posting some links for recordings as I work through several lessons. Now to get all of the cables/wiring arranged in a neat layout.

My emphasis this new year is on putting in some quality practice time, and I have no excuses now.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Nice adaptation for your situation.
There are so many ways to do things these days, nobody should have an excuse not to play and enjoy the tone they get.
Have fun:thumbup:

artyman

Fareham UK
Just watched the video, they 'sound' quite impressive headphones, not sure that I don't prefer an amp though

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Nice compact setup........pretty sweet.

How do you like the Blue Note and Clarksdale pedals? Pros/cons? Any reason you have the Blue Note going into the Clarksdale? At first blush, I am thinking of putting the Clarksdale into the Blue Note as the Clarksdale is more a TS than the BN. Just curious.

BTW, congrats on the new grandkid.

My wife and I live in an "in-laws" apartment attached to our daughters home. I needed to put together a decent recording rig as I've been without since moving into this apartment 3 years ago. I had to downsize from a 24 x 24 foot man cave to a 10 x 12 bedroom loaded with bed and essential furniture. Also, my daughter is expecting and we wilI have a new grand daughter within several weeks, so I need to have a good silent type practice rig that will have the sounds/tones I desire, that can be difficult to obtain when using headphones. Unfortunately, my Mustang 3 headphone output does not suit my sonic needs. After a lot of research, I have come up with the following semi-portable practice rig and recording setup:

0fdiuh05loxbz366g.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the heart of this setup:
0fbcns4fn0soes06g.jpg

It has a small pedalboard arrangement. Signal path is guitar > Strobostomp Classic tuner > JRockett Blue Note > Wampler Clarksdale > Chase Tone Secret Preamp > Wampler Black 65 (used as preamp) > Two notes Torpedo CAB M > Behringer UMC404HD audio interface > usb to laptop w/ Reaper for the DAW.

I also have a MXL 990 condenser mic on the small boom mounted on the desktop that I plan on using to record my resonator slide playing once I have everything working properly.

So far, I have some Fender Twin style cabinets set up 90% to my liking, still tweaking a bit. I will have a great time practicing with headphones, finally! I know the family will appreciate this after being up late at night with a newborn infant. Sooner or later, I plan on posting some links for recordings as I work through several lessons. Now to get all of the cables/wiring arranged in a neat layout.

My emphasis this new year is on putting in some quality practice time, and I have no excuses now.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Nice compact setup........pretty sweet.

How do you like the Blue Note and Clarksdale pedals? Pros/cons? Any reason you have the Blue Note going into the Clarksdale? At first blush, I am thinking of putting the Clarksdale into the Blue Note as the Clarksdale is more a TS than the BN. Just curious.

I like them a lot in this setup. The Blue Note does a nice job as a low gain blues breaker style od for breakup & grit. The Fat knob is very useful to adjust the bottom end when changing from single coil to humbucker equipped guitar. The Clarksdale is a versatile TS style pedal with TMB tone stack which I like a lot. This makes it much easier to dial in a good tone when using different amp models & different guitars. As far as cons go, I don't really have anything negative to say about them.

As far as arrangement/position on my board, I never gave it any thought, as I had an Archer on for a short time but replaced it with the Clarksdale, so it simply filled that spot. I have not tried stacking, yet. Will probably do so a bit later on, though.

BTW, congrats on the new grandkid.

Thanks! This will be my 5th & 2nd grand daughter.