RIP Neil Peart - December 7

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
From CBC Tweet:
"Canadian rock drummer Neil Peart dead at 67. Peart, primary lyricist for Rush, was known for his technical proficiency, and for weaving jazz and big band patterns with a hard rock style. Publicist says Peart died in California January 7."

I have not been a huge Rush fan, but I'm also not unaware of their contributions to progressive music. My oldest son is a drummer and counted Neil Peart as one of his drum 'gods.'
A true legend, gone far too soon!

PaulTakamine

Newly Blue
Wow... A very sad day... Neil was a complex person and a gifted drummer. I am shocked reading this. Been a fan from the beginning. So sorry to hear. Life IS finite!

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I have seen them live several times including their farewell tour in 2015. Absolutely one of my top five bands. This was a complete shock to see.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Sad but i was lucky to see them several times at his prime. A god of rock and percussion a magician an inventor and a word sorcerer supreme.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I'm in shock. Although I've never met the guy, he had a tremendous impact on me. As a drummer I suppose, by now, it's cliché to say that he was an influence, but the truth is there isn't a drummer out there that can say they weren't influenced by his work, both recorded and in his writing.

Even though his influence will remain for decades to come, it is truly a sad day, and an incredible loss to the music community, and the world.

R.I.P.

Pete R

Blues Newbie
I was a serious Rush fan back in the 70s and early 80s. This is heartbreaking. He was one of a kind.

Tayport

Blues Newbie
When Rush stopped, I had read that Neil felt that he could no longer play at the level that he demanded of himself. I thought it might be a physical issue but had no idea that it was brain cancer. I have both his books that he wrote about motorcycle riding. He would ride from gig to gig on his bike as much as possible all across the country. He had more personal tragedy in his life that anyone could imagine and he survived that. R.I.P. Neil.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Yes, that’s really me - with my hair high and tight - in about 2009 sitting at Neil’s Slingerland drum kit - used on albums Fly By Night through Farewell to Kings and pictured on the cover of All The World’s A Stage...

View attachment 10127
Kevin you just pop up everywhere like Forrest Gump. I expect to see you at the next presidential debate.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
And where did you get to sit behind that prefer of rock and roll history?
A complicated story...

Peart had several drum kits over the course of his Rush career, but he always kept the same snare that he used from the beginning up to about the year 2000 - and that was a Slingerland “Artist” model, wrapped in copper.

For those of you not familiar with the “Artist” model, that wasn’t the cheapest model (that was the “student”) and it wasn’t the most expensive (that was “the radio King”). As good marketers, Slingerland had five models, for varying budgets and the Artist was just below the radio king. As a result, they sold very few artist models - I mean, why buy “almost the best” in a five tier structure? Just go ahead and buy the best! And there were EXTREMELY few of those artist models wrapped in copper - less than 5, and only two are known to exist - Neil has one and there’s one in the hands of a collector in Italy.

Anyways, I decided (about 2007 or 2008) to make as perfect a replica of Neil’s snare as I could - so I got a plastic wrapped Artist, de-laminated it, and then wrapped it with the correct gauge of copper (from chatting with the guy in Italy). I was proud of my effort and posted pics on a couple internet boards...

change gears to the other thread that will come together in a bit...

back in the mid/late 80s, Peart decided he didn’t need his old drum kits so he organized a competition with Modern Drummer magazine for readers to send in a recording of their original drum solos - and the ones that Neil like best would win one of his kits (including all hardware, but minus his snare and any cymbals). There were three kits as I recall, one of which was his early album Slingerland...

The guy that originally won that kit ended up selling it - and I don’t know how many times it changed hands, but by about 2008 it was in the hands of a guy that owned a small chain of pizza restaurants in New York and he had decided to donate the kit to the PASIC (Percussive Arts Society) museum. He had period correct cymbals and had added on some of the other stuff (like gong), but he didn’t have a correct snare.

He contacted me, I built another replica snare, and now that kit (with my snare) is in the PASIC museum - and, as a result of being the snare builder, I got to play the kit.

And that’s all I have to say about that - Forrest Gump