Am I the only one...

Shodai

Blues Junior
Like many of you, in addition to guitars I have accumulated quite a collection of instructional materials. Books, CDs, DVDs, those kinds of things. Lots of those kinds of things.

Well, this is the second time this has happened to me, and I'm wondering if any of y'all ever did this too.

I saw a title and said, "now that looks cool. I think I'll have to check it out". And bought it. Only to find out I already have it.

Anyone else ever do that?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I haven't done that with music instruction books, but in an earlier life, I did that a lot with computer books. I think I had three copies of one Javascript book and several other scripting and language manuals.

Like BGU, I don't think I ever finished one of those on a cover-to-cover basis.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I do it with groceries, especially stuff like spices I don't use often, right now I have 3 tall cans of celery seed, I won't use that in a decade

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I've almost done it with Truefire a few times. Fortunately, it tells you that you already own the course when you go to buy it. :D

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Courses? That's all? I had a guitar in my hands at Guitar Center that I thought was really cool. Was considering buying it instead of the hardtail Strat I WAS looking for. Then I realized I already had one at home. Not one like it but a different color or something, I mean the exact same brand/model/color.

I'm also notorious for buying bike parts multiple times. My record is finding three sets when I finally got around to needing them. I now have what is known as "The Magic Drawer". On multiple times when I've needed a certain specific item for a Ducati, I've opened that drawer and there it is. A friend's bike needed a fuel filter. Dealer is an hour away. Told him to look in the drawer. There it was. Needed a a very specific sealer, called around and couldn't find it locally. Before going online, I opened the drawer. Yep, there it was...

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Tools---I got no idea how many 10mm wrenches I have but I can never find one when I need it,, so I go up front and buy another--then I open the trunk of one of my other cars and there are like 2 or 3 laying there. It is just not the 10mm I got wrenches all over the place. I would hate to even take a guess at how many 5/8" deep well spark plug sockets I got.:eek: when I need a phillps head screw driver, all I can find is a flathead-if I need a flat head screw driver only thing I can find is a phillips head and I got at least a half dozen floating around of both..

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Tools---I got no idea how many 10mm wrenches I have but I can never find one when I need it,, so I go up front and buy another--then I open the trunk of one of my other cars and there are like 2 or 3 laying there. It is just not the 10mm I got wrenches all over the place. I would hate to even take a guess at how many 5/8" deep well spark plug sockets I got.:eek: when I need a phillps head screw driver, all I can find is a flathead-if I need a flat head screw driver only thing I can find is a phillips head and I got at least a half dozen floating around of both..
I'm also really good about putting things in a "safe" place, but I can never remember where that was!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Have these right here next to me.

With different notes written in each.:confused:

IMG_0297.jpg

They were well worn over ten years before BGU 1.0 was released in 2008.

(Which I didn't discover til 2013.:(:))

Last edited:

Shodai

Blues Junior
So glad I'm not alone. And I feel better about my tools now too!

As for the guitar... I'm sure there was some slight, miniscule difference that would have justified it ;)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I did it with wah pedals...once bought another one "just in case"...got home and not only say the one I already had but "found" another one that I forgot that I had bought...too much crap laying around...need to check my shelves, drawers, and hiding place to see what I already have...just saying...later.

cowboy

that being said, I'm the guy who buys about everything in two's...

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Oh man; why did you have to remind me of fishing lures---:eek:----I could not even count how many fishing lures Sharon and I have accumulated over the past years ( I guess I could but not going to)---A LOT---is a understatment---and if I counted all those rubber worms and frogs and crawdads :eek: double :eek:--and she still buying lures, and some of them ain't cheap no more, we got a few that we paid over $20 a piece for--I gave away a small trash baggie full a few years ago and now I got 2 baggies full and that ain't counting the tackle boxes.