Hi and happy Christmas!

Ian101

Blues Newbie
Hi all,
New to the forum and Griffs lessons so doing the customary 'hi' post.
Looking forward to getting stuck in to these. I've been playing with no really direction for just a year, but have made some decent progress, learnt all the minor pentatonic shapes, most of the well used chords etc. Looking for some more purpose though as I'm a bit lost where to go next so got these lessons as a gift to myself!

I have a question that I hope a few may be able to answer.
I have the blues unleashed course and the acoustic blues course (plus a few that were thrown in for free)
Where should I start!? Does one course lead better in to the other? I love both styles, electric and acoustic blues so I'm happy to start with either.

Thanks and happy holidays!
Ian

steve o

Student Of The Blues
They’re both great courses. If your goal is to go to jams or play in a band, I’d start with Blues Guitar Unleashed. If you want to play by yourself, the acoustic blues course may be a better fit. I started with BGU and found out that it was a little to tuff for me and that I was missing some of the basics. I purchased Beginning Blues Guitar and found out it was what I needed. I finished that and went right back into BGU and it was so much better. YMMV. Griff and any of his courses will get you where you want to go. Whichever way you go, enjoy the journey!

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Welcome to the forum! You are definitely in the right place for learning to play the blues. Between this forum and its members, you will discover a plethora of very useful information and good old fashioned camaraderie.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Ian,
Wither BGU course is a great option. You just need to decide which you want to focus on. Acoustic or Electric.

Ian101

Blues Newbie
They’re both great courses. If your goal is to go to jams or play in a band, I’d start with Blues Guitar Unleashed. If you want to play by yourself, the acoustic blues course may be a better fit. I started with BGU and found out that it was a little to tuff for me and that I was missing some of the basics. I purchased Beginning Blues Guitar and found out it was what I needed. I finished that and went right back into BGU and it was so much better. YMMV. Griff and any of his courses will get you where you want to go. Whichever way you go, enjoy the journey!

Thanks for that. Yes I'll be playing for myself more than anything, that and little jam sessions with family and friends.
I was thinking of starting with the acoustic blues course as when I got in to the blues it was country style and fingerpicked blues guitar that got be going! I actually started my blues journey with harp about 5 years ago, which I still play, and got really in to cephas and wiggins... So acoustic could be a good place to start. I guess there would be no harm in bouncing between them on the way up?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome to the forum Ian. Which ever course you choose will stand you in good stead. I chose BGU before ABGU because I find the electric easier on the finger tips.:cry::cry::). There's nothing to say you can't do the BGU course on an acoustic. (except for bending strings which in infinitely easier on an electric). What I would recommend though, is whichever one you start with, be sure to finish it, and don't do what quite a lot of us on here do, and jump all over the place.:rolleyes: I still haven't finished BGU after almost ten years!!!!:eek: Either one of those courses will give you a great foundation to build on.(y)(y) Happy Christmas, and happy picking.(y)(y)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 3

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Ian - there is zero harm in bouncing between the two. I purchased the two of them together and bounced back and forth. I ended up going the direction of acoustic and after a few weeks I put BGU2 on hold and my sole focus became AGBU. I completed AGBU a couple o months ago...that course turned me into a guitarist. Some of the best money I have ever spent. Good luck, have fun, and welcome!!

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I have been playing for some time and wanted some direction as well! I did BBU first. I went through it pretty fast but it gave me a good start for the basics and understanding! Welcome and enjoy!

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome!

As you can see, people around here are both friendly and helpful. Wish I could add more to the conversation, but it has already been said by others, and said very well. Both good courses, just have to decide where to focus based on your personal journey.

In the end you'll find that wherever you start, the support you'll need can be found right here!

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Welcome Ian!
I would start with electric then acoustic. But you mix stuff into your practice routine, as you’ll learn as you hang ou here.
Cheers.
John

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Welcome.:)

Besides Acoustic vs Electric, you might want to consider differences in focus and content.

BGU: Lessons 1-14 are chord and rhythm oriented, while Lessons 15-29 are scale and soloing over backing tracks oriented.

The last 2 lessons are "playing on the porch" oriented, i.e. playing alone.

ABGU: Lessons 1-5 are timing (counting) and learning the notes on the fretboard oriented.

The remaining lessons combine chords and scales, focusing on playing alone.

Last edited:

Ian101

Blues Newbie
Thanks again all for the welcome and the words of advice. All very useful!
I started the acoustic lessons yesterday and am enjoying them a lot!
Looking forward to taking it further!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Ian! Good to have you with us! :thumbup:

I would start with anything that says "beginner". If you have none of those then take your pick between ABGU and BGU. Keep in mind that you can do them both simultaneously.