Amps Sold my Delta Blues

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I just wanted to warn everyone this is about selling an amp. So if that is as offensive to you as it normally is to me, stop reading. But it actually has a happy ending.

About 6 years ago when I started BGU I decided I needed an amp besidesmy PrincetonReverb, with some dirt when I wanted it, and it had to have tubes.

So I found. Peavet Delta Blues 210. I loved the clean, but I could never get the dirt to be dirty enough? So I moved on to other amps and it sat. I tried new speakers, which made the clean better butdidn’t help with the dirt. So since it has just been sitting for 3 or 4 years I decided to sell it. I decided to try some different tubs, and to my surprise the po had replaced the 12ax7’s with 12ay or 12av, actually ecc numbers. Anyway I put a nice pair or Tube Store Select 7025 tubes in the preamp, and the amp just came alive.

But I decided to sell it anyway. But now I could sell it with a clear conscience. I priced it at $350, since it had nice tubes and nice speakers.

Yesterday I got a call from a guy who asked if it was for sale still? I said yes, so he asked if I would consider $275 for it. He went on to say that he was calling for his son who was 15, and $275 was all the money he had to spend. I said ok. So they drove out from an hour away.

So they were both really nice. I started to explain to his son about the two channels, and how it was the same as the Peavey, ummm... what was it, and the 15 yr old said Classic 30? So then asked which knob was the lean volume and the master, Peavey calls them Pre and Post,. I lent him my Tele, since that was his prference, and he was off!

So I was treated to a sequence of cover tunes, where he played enough to know how that song sounded with amp. He set it to clean and played something needing clean, set to dirty and it was ZZ or AcDc. Really a nice player. You could see as he played he was liking it even more.

It made a couple weird noises, but we figured it was my guitar cable. So I told them thatI fixed amps too. And that this amp I would be glad to fix any issues for 90 days at no charge. I told them I was sure it was good, but if not I would fix it.

So handed me $255 dollars, and his dad added a $20. And my amp went with, but I think it wa really happy, and is going to a better place.

So a few hours later I got a text from theDad. He said he just wanted to thank me again and said his son was super excited to have the amp!

Now my wife just shakes her head, and thinks I sold it too low. But the joke is on her because I would have given that amp to that kid!

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I went down to visit my son over the Thanksgiving Holidays. My grandkids were here the end of summer and the 13 years who plays French Horn but is also taking some trumpet because he wants to play jazz had a blast in my music room and I had an old trombone which is in need of work he got out and everything he touch he was quickly making music.

So I get down there and hear him back in his bedroom playing a guitar, a low end no name acoustic, and some pretty good beginner licks. So I show him a few things and everything thing I show him he nails it. Explain box one in A and tell him to work with that and a couple of hours later hear him going up to box 2 and down to box 5. Show him the "blue note" and how to use it finally the third day he is pulling up backing tracks and following along pretty darn good.

So get home and pull out a maybe an 80's Mexican Strat I have that is a good one and had installed Bill Lawrence pickups and a Blackstar Icore 40 amp I'm not using and call his mom to tell her I'm going to send them down for his Christmas present. She says that is what he does everyday when he gets home from school, go back to his room and play blues. My daughter came by and picked it up as she is going down there for Christmas and I told I HAVE to have a video of when he opens them up!!!

BTW I gave him Griff's basic blues course for his birthday 3 weeks ago and he registered to get Griffs daily lessons and tips! None of my kids or other grandkids every showed anything as far as music but as I told him mom he's got the ear and the feel and could go places.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I may disappear for months at at time, but it's things like these two stories that keep me coming back. I've said it before, I'll say it again; the people on this forum are some of the finest I've ever had the privilege of being associated with.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I played a Classic 30 as my main gigging amp when I was just starting out. It did hundreds of shows and fell off a lot of stages and never flinched.

My guess is you've set that young man off on the right foot and he'll use that amp a good long time. I'd have given it to him too :)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I went down to visit my son over the Thanksgiving Holidays. My grandkids were here the end of summer and the 13 years who plays French Horn but is also taking some trumpet because he wants to play jazz had a blast in my music room and I had an old trombone which is in need of work he got out and everything he touch he was quickly making music.

So I get down there and hear him back in his bedroom playing a guitar, a low end no name acoustic, and some pretty good beginner licks. So I show him a few things and everything thing I show him he nails it. Explain box one in A and tell him to work with that and a couple of hours later hear him going up to box 2 and down to box 5. Show him the "blue note" and how to use it finally the third day he is pulling up backing tracks and following along pretty darn good.

So get home and pull out a maybe an 80's Mexican Strat I have that is a good one and had installed Bill Lawrence pickups and a Blackstar Icore 40 amp I'm not using and call his mom to tell her I'm going to send them down for his Christmas present. She says that is what he does everyday when he gets home from school, go back to his room and play blues. My daughter came by and picked it up as she is going down there for Christmas and I told I HAVE to have a video of when he opens them up!!!

BTW I gave him Griff's basic blues course for his birthday 3 weeks ago and he registered to get Griffs daily lessons and tips! None of my kids or other grandkids every showed anything as far as music but as I told him mom he's got the ear and the feel and could go places.
Excellent!
You're the kind of grandpa everyone wishes they had(y)
You're building memories and laying the foundation for the future.
:Beer:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Fell off a lot of stages?

Was that because you were standing on it and then doing leaps off it???
Sadly, no, it was because at the end of the night I'd line me gear up on the front of the stage before I would bring the car around...

Every once in a while some drunk fool would lean too hard on it and pull it off the stage. Only happened a few times over a lot of gigs, but it happened.