Slipping guitar pick cure

Bob630

Blues Newbe
81DKo6WeZpL._SY879_.jpg

I found these to work quite well.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
My son has the best solution, he plays with his fingertips. He learned on bass first, so he plays guitar like a bass. He even frets with the pads of his fretting fingers, not the tips. Which is how you are supposed to play bass. It hurts like heck to use your fingertips on bass. Err,...ummm,... or so I heard.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Well I had an ol’ Blugrass flat picker once told me to wet my thumb and index finger with my tongue. Helps you grip the pick better.

I’ll also wet my fingers with my saliva when I use metal finger picks.

YMMV

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I have tried all the above and some-- (not mentioned) except--"CRAZY Glue"--"I may be CRAZY ;but I ain't STUPID"----you can get a roll of Scotch double sided tape for $2-$3---fixes the problem for A LOT lot of picks. And like Capn Denny said use your fingers---been doing that for 10-12 yrs. and now it is hard to get back the feel of using a pick..
It is the easiest cheapest way I never knew.. give it a try you might like it :thumbup:

artyman

Fareham UK
I drill a series of holes in my picks in a concentric pattern, seems to work for me. I'm more likely to lose the thing rather than drop it while playing.

Shodai

Blues Junior
I don't drill holes, but I do use Everly Star Picks. The hole is already in them, I'm a starburst shape with lots of edges. You don't really feel it, but the picks don't move around, even if your hands get sweaty.

Between that and the Gorilla Snot for the Fender picks, I never drop them.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I have never heard of Gorilla Snot for guitar picks---I think I remember it as being used on strings, maybe it is a newer product I have used the holes picks--you use to be able to buy them pre-drilled.
same way with the cork picks-I have even went so far as gluing coarse sand paper to them--yea it works if you want to remove you finger prints--kind of painful after a couple hours--bees wax also works but it sticks to your fingers and spreads to your control knobs and your guitar.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've recently become a fan of the Monster Grips. Like the tape, I can stick them on just one side of the pick (which I like), but, unlike the tape, they're not sticky so I can still move the pick between my finger and thumb without having to try to get it to let go. Never tried the Gorilla Snot, but I've always been curious.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
The tape is not nearly as sticky as some might think---when you 1st apply it---yes it is a little sticky---but if you touch it a few times 75% of that sticky will go away---I used approximately 6" of tape to do 2 picks---that's pretty cheap considering you get about 25' in a roll (that's a lot of picks).
you might find it necessary to do the edges too---I did..it's worth a try---if it don't work for you-you can always use the tape for other things (no lose situation)...for about 3 bucks----I have seen picks go for as much as $5.00 for 3.