What do you guys think? Acoustic pickup

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I have never owned one but have played several: I never much cared for the unplugged sound but plugged in I thought they were pretty
decent--( better than the other a/e I had played)-plus I liked the necks a lot. You all got me thinking twice now dag gone it.:confused:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I have the Ovation applause. This is the cheap far east made version. I bought it as a second hand beater about 10 years ago. It is my only standard 6 string acoustic (I also have a 12 string and a resonator). I keep meaning to replace it but never get round to it. Never use it plugged in as I think one of the pietzo pickup poles has broken as one string keeps cutting out. However I think it sounds OK unplugged. I like the neck for strumming and barre chords as it is similar in feel to an electric (I currently use 9;s on it). However because of this when trying to learn finger style I struggle and feel a wider neck would be better. I have never had an issue with the bowl back (mine is the shallow bowl) though I have dabbled with Bouzouki in the past so this is easy in relation:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Dave I bought this Takamine at Music go Round a few years back. Paid $200 for it in mint condition (I think they made a huge pricing mistake on this one!!). For me, it is the perfect acoustic. It plays and sounds great! Had a Martin but it was way too temperamental in our climate so I gave that one away. Happy hunting amigo...
Steve

View attachment 9585
I have a late 80s Japanese made Takamine which has a great sounding pick up with volume and two band EQ. Only wish I had waited a year when they came out with a cutaway model. Don’t know how the quality is now but if you can find one of these older units they sound great, plugged or unplugged.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I checked out the resale value of Ovations on E-BAY---no thanks---The one I was considering at $560 they are "Buy it now" $250--OH WELL

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Sorry, I didn't read the entire post so sorry if this was already brought up; Friends DO NOT let friends put soundhole pickups on their Martins! :)
KK mini's go on all my acoustics... Non-invasive and reversible... Also a big plus for me is no batteries required inside the guitar! And certainly no toaster on the side of the guitar!! Mics get the best tone, but movement, mic placement and all that jazz comes to play... It's SO easy to just plug in and play... KK gets my vote all day long!!

p.s. If you are opposed to drilling out the end pin for a standard jack, they have an option to use the standard end pin hole... If I had a vintage Martin, I would go that way... Let me know if you need more info... Good luck!!

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Dave I bought this Takamine at Music go Round a few years back. Paid $200 for it in mint condition (I think they made a huge pricing mistake on this one!!). For me, it is the perfect acoustic. It plays and sounds great! Had a Martin but it was way too temperamental in our climate so I gave that one away. Happy hunting amigo...
Steve

I see you still like living life on the edge!! High off the ground with no seatbelt!

View attachment 9585

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Many years ago, I felt compelled to put a pickup in my D-28. I had a Martin shop install a saddle pickup and end pin jack. It was OK. After a lot of years, the saddle split. I took it back to the same shop and Martin covered the repair under lifetime warranty. I would never again add any pickup to this D-28. If I happened to need amplification, I would mic it. I know this works better for recording than live. Griff did an All Access Pass session last month on micing an acoustic. He demoed high end and low end options. All sounded great. The interesting thing to me, was that the mics we’re always about 2 feet from the guitar. That said, I bought my son-in-law a DRS2. Before I delivered it to him, I played it. Sounded pretty good. Then I plugged into an amp. I thought it sounded awesome through the amp. I think it’s now the D-10.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I would never again add any pickup to this D-28.

I inquired some years ago about the same with my D-28. I'm glad I took the advice I was given to buy another guitar with electronics instead. Achieved two objectives: maintained the integrity of my Martin, and satisfied some GAS. :sneaky:

ronico

rainyislandblues
At Long and McQuade BF Day sale locally there was one for 2Gcan that thankfully someone picked up and saved everbody in my family's , potentially,Xmas prezzies!

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I just bought a Donner Humbucker for acoustic guitars (a sound hole pickup) on Amazon for $40 and I am floored at how good I think it is.
So not sure what your issue was with soundhole pickups but I would be satisfied with this cheap Chinese pickup myself.
I even left them a video review on Amazon, because it really exceeded my expectation. Your mileage and personal experience may vary of course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9KNY5B

B.J.Thomas

Blues Newbie
thanks for posting about this one. i am shopping for an acoustic pickup (the best for under $100). I neither have a drill or the ability to use one if I did and don't want to drill in my guitars anyway, so sound hole or stick on seem to be the options. I love the demos of the Mojotone but at $189 it is pretty much out for me. Do you notice any signal volume problems with the Donner a passive? Thanks!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I just bought a Donner Humbucker for acoustic guitars (a sound hole pickup) on Amazon for $40 and I am floored at how good I think it is.
So not sure what your issue was with soundhole pickups but I would be satisfied with this cheap Chinese pickup myself.
I even left them a video review on Amazon, because it really exceeded my expectation. Your mileage and personal experience may vary of course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9KNY5B
Thanks for that. My 80's Takamine EF340 or some shit, has a great built in PU with EQ, but if I ever get that Guild, I'll be lookin for one.