Amps Quilter 101 Reverb: just not feelin' it

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I've read about the "mid range honk" thing, but what I'm getting out of mine seems more like a "metallic bong" flavor to the tone, and somewhat boxy. I've run the gamut of gain all the way down to setting the master at max and just bringing up the gain until I get decent volume—that on top of taking the mid EQ all across its sweep as well as exercising the limiter knob.

Thinking it might be an artifact of the Quilter 10" block dock cab I removed it from the cab and ran the FX out into my Bose Compact L1 PA...still bongy and boxy.

This with the PRS on both bridge and neck humbuckers both full and split.

I tried it with the Spincaster, which is a Strat model with three Bill Lawrence Dual Blade single coils. That sounded noticeably better but still nothing exciting.

By contrast I ran the same guitars through the Bose PA using the Bias Mini modeling amps with a Fender Twin Reverb and a Tweed "Beer O'Clock Blues" custom preset. Much, much better, without the boxiness (or "honk" or whatever) and articulate both in single notes and open chords.

Might be one huge factor is the Bias Mini has 150 watts out (300 with a 4Ohm cab) and the 101 only has 50? I'm thinking that lots of clean headroom (if I finally understand what that phrase even means) is a large part of what I'm looking for and the 101 just can't deliver that.

Thoughts?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Another test I did each time was strumming the "Tequila Sunrise" intro G with the hammer-on 6th. On the Quilter it was muffled and muddy (even with the bass on min) and I could barely hear the hammers, while on the Bias models the extra notes sounded clear.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Okay, methinks I've found the Quilter 101's happy place: I plugged in my MiM Tele (stock pickups) and it woke right up.

For my tastes, at least, it seems to prefer talking to proper single coil pickups. Some folks might like what it does with humbuckers but those folks ain't me. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My experience with Quilter is limited to a few in-store tests where I thought they sounded good.

My only experience thus far has been with the little 101 Mini Reverb. I'm considering asking when the local shop will get in some Mach 2s and then going to try one out in person.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Not sure if this will help, but it might:

I run my 101 Mini Reverb through a large 1x12 cab with a WGS Blackhawk 50 watt, 8 ohms Alnico speaker. If all tone controls are set on 5 (12:00) it is very boomy. I use a Wampler Black 65 for a blackface tone, and have to turn down the bass knob on it completely ccw. I also use what I believe is called the classic fender blackface magic six tone settings (intended for use on tube amps) on the Mini: bass on 2, mid on 3, treble on 6 (but I reduce to 5). This in combination with the Black 65 gives me a great, full, sparkly tone that agrees very well with my various od pedals.

Speaker selection makes a very big difference. I also have great results connecting it to the Swamp Thang in my Mustang III, as well as a 2x12 cab with WGS ET65 and Retro 30. I tried an Eminence Red White & Blues 120 watts,8 ohms speaker but it did not sound good at all, like a blanket had been placed over the cab.

I like as much clean headroom as I can get in order to have what I like for a good base tone. Then I can flavor as needed with the various pedals I have. I keep the gain down around 3 (9:00), and turn the master volume up to at least 7 (2:00) to get a decent level to play in my apartment, when the wife is not at home. I will have to try turning the master volume to max and then adjust the gain to a reasonable level. Played through the 50w alnico speaker, it definitely is not as loud as you would expect. However, when connected to the Swamp Thang (150 watt, 8 ohms), it gets noticeably louder, as would be expected with a more efficient speaker.

I have thus far only played my Tele and Strat through the Mini+Blackhawk 50. Both have vintage style, low output pickups. I am sure I will have to use my 10 band EQ or Para EQ pedals when I can get to my Epi Dot or Les Paul Custom, due to the nature of humbuckers having more output and low end. I will report back once I retrieve them and can play with some volume.

I hope you can get better results from your Mini.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks for all the insights! I'll try that. I actually have an old 1x12 cab I put a Texas Heat into, I'll make a point of dragging it up from the basement and giving that a go.

Like I noted above, my Tele sounded tons better as is through it than my Gibby 339 or my new PRS. The Strat style partscaster not as much but it has nontraditional Bill Lawrence Twin Blades in it.

I'm more than game to try new stuff and see (hear) what happens! :Beer:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
When I had my Quilter 101 (the earlier non-reverb model), I used it with a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker, and it sounded equally good with single coil and humbucker guitars.
If I recall correctly, I actually preferred it with the humbucker guitars. I thought it was quite a good sounding amp. Might just take some additional experimentation to find a combination that sounds good to you.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Okay, so: yeah, the speaker seems to make a huge difference, as noted above.

I'd tried running the FX Send into my PA, but that wasn't getting me there. I've just been playing my PRS into the 101 and into that 12" Texas Heat speaker and it's like night and day!

I'm not using pedals, rather relying on the amp's gain structure for tone. With the gain knob at around 2:00 it's rich and full and not at all "bongy" like I was hearing before. Had to bring the volume master down to noon, it was painfully loud.

So, I've learned some valuable new stuff today—not the least being the 101 Mini Reverb can sound great if you give it the right speaker. Probably going to see what I can get for that 10" Quilter docking cab.

Thanks for all the insights! :Beer:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Glad to hear you are making some progress! IMO, the Quilter amps are some pretty good stuff. I'd be surprised if you can't find some combination that works for you.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Happy to hear this, Mark!

Happy to be reporting it! :Beer:

As many good things as I've heard about Quilter amps I was disappointed and surprised at my struggles. Figured there was a high probability of my just needing to change my approach. Thanks for the tips!