Visiting Florida from the UK

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
Hi All,

My wife has decided she fancies a family holiday to Florida. As I believe there are a few people on here that live in Florida I’d like to ask for some advice…

Is May a good time to visit, i.e. warm and sunny but not too hot for us Brits, we’re used to rain! But at the same time missing hurricane season?

She’s thinking that we’d spend time on the east coast, between Key Largo and Orlando, visiting the Everglades, Miami and Orlando but isn’t sure if there’s anything we might be missing out by missing a trip to the west coast – is that the case?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards, John

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
Hi All,

My wife has decided she fancies a family holiday to Florida. As I believe there are a few people on here that live in Florida I’d like to ask for some advice…

Is May a good time to visit, i.e. warm and sunny but not too hot for us Brits, we’re used to rain! But at the same time missing hurricane season?

She’s thinking that we’d spend time on the east coast, between Key Largo and Orlando, visiting the Everglades, Miami and Orlando but isn’t sure if there’s anything we might be missing out by missing a trip to the west coast – is that the case?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards, John
Well, it depends. The "Snowbird Season" generally runs from now until just after Easter, which happens to coincide with the days getting warmer. Perhaps too warm for those from a different climate? But then again I put on long clothes when it get below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, so that's when I come out of winter hibernation.

The good aspects of a visit in May is the prices will go down, you can actually go out to a restaurant to eat without having to wait for a table (which is why I stay home and cook from now until April), and the theme parks and beaches are less crowded.

Expect rain in May. Its a different form of rain that I imagine you experience in the UK - or at least what I've seen from my time in front of the telly watching The Premier League. The rain will come down hard and fast, and in buckets. But it will be gone in a short time. If you enjoy a quality adult beverage I find the late afternoon/early evening storms to be a great time to find a waterfront purveyor of those beverages, and watch the rain come down in the distance. Probably to be accompanied by some of the most wildest lightening known to humans. Heed the lightening warnings and at all costs get off the beach if a storm is coming. Here in Florida this stuff is extra powerful, and there is a reason why Tampa Bay area is known as the lightening capital of the world.

Hurricane season technically is June to November, but the major activity is Labor Day (early September) to October. Of course a storm can come any time, and some of the worst rain I've ever experienced is our annual storm in December.

To some, me included, Florida West Coast is the part of the last stronghold for "real Florida", and we are doing our best to prevent what happened on the east coast (overbuilding, too much traffic, elimination of natural Florida) from happening here. This is not to say the east coast of the state doesn't have good things, but in my opinion its a totally different state, and in some parts, I'm not sure its really America any more.

Some anecdotal information: I know of a seasonal family from the UK (I live on the west coast) that returns home close to the end of April to escape the warmer temperatures. We get a lot of seasonal visitors/residents from Canada. Most if not all leave in April.

As far as missing anything, it depends on what you are coming for. Beaches area superb on each coast, thought I prefer our sugar white sand beaches here on the west coast. Fishing: Just drop a line wherever you see water. The Orlando theme parks are almost equal distance from both sides of the state. I recommend a visit to Cape Canaveral and The Kennedy Space Center. The Gulf of Mexico is a much different body of water than the Atlantic Ocean. Different tides, currents, waves, fish, etc. On any given day I can walk on the beach in see Dolphins in the Gulf. Sometimes sharks too. I see Dolphins and Manatees in the local rivers that are tributaries to the Gulf. Venice Beach is a great place to walk the sands and find all the sharks teeth that you can stand.

Let's get to the topic of this forum: both sides of the state have vibrant blues communities. On any given night you can see the international touring blues artists that reside in the state show up in a club. many times for free or a few dollars placed into the tip jar. The west coast is the home to Damon Fowler, Selwyn Birchwood, Berry Duane Oakley, cigar-box aficionado Steve Arvey, guitar slinger Sean Chambers, young gun David Julia - many more than I've listed. When home to visit his dad, Dickey, I've seen Duane Betts show up and jam with Berry at his "Sunday Service". Duane played a free show last year and brought along his friend and Allman Betts bandmate Johnny Stachela - one of the best slide players I've seen in a long time. The east coast is home to JP Soars and Albert Castiglia. North towards Jacksonville should really be called "Trucksville" - as in Derek Trucks and the up-and-coming but not too well known Melody Trucks Band. And lets not forget JJ Grey who also lives in the Jacksonville area.

Be aware: from top to bottom this is a larger state than it would seem to be on a map. East to west is 3 to 5 hours, depending on where you cross. The Keys (Key Largo, Key West, Marathon, etc.) to Panhandle is closer to 12 hours. Key Largo is accessed from the east coast but it really geographically in the center part of the state. Expect a pleasant but long drive (traffic aside - especially getting through Miami) to reach Key Largo. The Everglades are not to be missed. You never know what you will see. I witnessed a meteor crash into the Everglades while driving one night across Alligator Alley.

Florida is more naturally wild than most expect. Near Ocala National Forest it's not unusual to see Black Bear. Ocala is home to the best Thoroughbred Horse farms south of Lexington, Kentucky. We have a Feral Pig issue here on the west coast, a few that I had to avoid while driving to see Selwyn Birchwood play two weeks ago. May is Alligator breeding season so they will be especially frisky. Probably not the best time for canoeing in one of the inland lakes. That is the time of the year where the stories of alligators walking down the road appear in the news. All the more reason that if you intend to go to the Everglades to strongly consider going on a tour or with a guide.

Don't ignore the northeast part of the state. St. Augustine is a pleasant day trip, and one of my most relaxing staycations was on Amelia Island. If you or your wife like antiques a day trip to Mt. Dora should be considered. (should really be called Hill Dora - in Florida there are no mountains in the true sense of the word). Automobile racing your fancy: Daytona and Sebring are in the state. Back here on the west coast: The old world fishing villages are different, especially Tarpon Springs. Swim with the Manatees in Crystal River. Ybor City in Tampa for a great taste of Cuban culture and food - one time cigar capital of the world. And home to a wonderful club where I just saw Coco Montoya.

If you do decide to come to the west coast, specifically the Tampa Bay area, please drop me a note. I'd be happy to meet and I'm certain that we can find a great show or two to attend. Thursday though Sunday being prime time for these shows. You should enjoy your time in Florida, no matter where you decide to go. Though my professional career I've been fortunate to visit a large part of the earth, and there's no place else I'd rather live.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
LJ,

West coast of Florida is where we keep our old people - not as much "happening" over there.

If it were me, I'd be sure to hit some biker bars - but your mileage may vary... :)

Kevin

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
LJ,

West coast of Florida is where we keep our old people - not as much "happening" over there.

If it were me, I'd be sure to hit some biker bars - but your mileage may vary... :)

Kevin
On the contrary, there is a lot "happening" over here, especially in the blues music world.....And I wonder why if this is where we keep the "old" people that my county has built 20 schools in the past decade....Visit Beach St. in St. Pete on a Friday or Saturday night and try to find a place to park. When you do take note of all the Millennials through baby boomers on the streets, in the clubs, and in the restaurants.

That perception is Florida from 20 years ago. I've seen my housing development, which was first marketed as a 55+ community, change to the point where 1/2 the residence have school age children.

Even though I'm not a biker I've been know to frequent some of those bars that you refer to...never had a problem and find the bikers to be tolerant of my presence as long as I respect it as their turf. It is an experience, for sure. :Beer:

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
If you are hitting up the Orlando area early may is significantly better to visit than late may imo. It can become quite hot here by the end of may. I am a transplant to florida. I spent most of my life in the mountains in the western US (cool dry). The florida weather starts to negatively impact me in late may, the heat and humidity can become stifling.

I have been heavily involved in the action sports scene my entire life. If you are into that kind of thing Florida is epic and I can provide more info. If hanggliding is on your bucket list come out and see me, I live on a 500 acre ranch outside of Orlando and we take people for tandem hanggliding rides. Here is a link that shows exactly how we do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=3nlVQ0gAonw&feature=emb_logo

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
On the contrary, there is a lot "happening" over here, especially in the blues music world.....And I wonder why if this is where we keep the "old" people that my county has built 20 schools in the past decade....Visit Beach St. in St. Pete on a Friday or Saturday night and try to find a place to park. When you do take note of all the Millennials through baby boomers on the streets, in the clubs, and in the restaurants.

SMFL - you're a noob around here - so you might not know - never *not* to take me seriously...

How do you know I'm bullsh*tting? My mouth is moving! :)

If I had a week to spend in Florida I would seriously (not bullsh*tting!) spend it all in Key West.

Kevin

PS - My parents moved to Florida 32 years ago and are in Kissimmee/St. Cloud now, plus have good buddies in Ocala and Naples, so I'm in The Sunshine State several times per year.

ScottMFL

Blues Newbie
SMFL - you're a noob around here - so you might not know - never *not* to take me seriously...

How do you know I'm bullsh*tting? My mouth is moving! :)

If I had a week to spend in Florida I would seriously (not bullsh*tting!) spend it all in Key West.

Kevin

PS - My parents moved to Florida 32 years ago and are in Kissimmee/St. Cloud now, plus have good buddies in Ocala and Naples, so I'm in The Sunshine State several times per year.
Fair enough. That's the thing with electronic communication - tough at times to get a read on the full intent of the message.

Never been called a noob before. Not sure whether to be insulted or wear that as a badge of honor (sarcasm intended) ;). (Yes, I assume that means newby).

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
If you go to Universal Studios in Orlando, be sure to see if the Blues Brothers are performing. The Elwood character is played by a long time BGU forum member, Lynn. Go up to him and tell him Griff sent you. :D This is him on the left:

View attachment 9579
Mike - I've seen Lynn perform several times, including his show there - pretty impressive and NOT to be missed!