FYI: Soloing Without Scales 2.0 now available

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you previously purchased version 1.0 and/or are an AAP member, the upgrade is now in your course list.

Similar to the BBG upgrade, new videos and manual have, automatically without any fanfare, replaced the originals.

All the original materials are still available as "Legacy" downloads.

A printed copy of the new manual is available for purchase on the intro page.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Thanks for the heads-up! I actually looked for the new edition last night, and didn't see that it said V2.0 or anything, but when I look at it now, it's the same vid that was up then. So I just missed that it was the new version. I never finished the first iteration of the course, and figured that, if nothing else, I'd try to listen to it while I worked or something. I figure that, at this point, I know the concept (and fall back on it a lot when I get nervous), so the refresher of the concept would probably be good even if I don't learn the solos.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Paleo have you had a chance to compare manuals. I haven't did it completely yet but noticed the solos divided into licks now. And I believe a bit more in the memorizing the fretboard lesson.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
...noticed the solos divided into licks now...
Only checked out through Solo 1 so far.

Along with the numbering of the licks, Griff has added the "green line" that moves through the tab as he plays.

Solo 1 has a different ending on the last lick.

And some of the slurs, starting with Examples 9 & 10, are notated with downward "troughs", rather than upward arcs.
Not sure if that is "normal" but it seemed kinda "odd" to me.:unsure:

Will continue on tomorrow.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
It was suggested that I do a list of what has changed with the update, so here is the general stuff:

1 - Moving line TAB
2 - Licks are now outlined in the TAB
3 - Video breakdowns of the solos now go by lick number so you can navigate much quicker.
4 - Added looping to the online players
5 - MANY notation things were changed slightly to make them easier to read (in my opinion they are easier.)
6 - Some licks in some solos were changed slightly to make them more playable and less dependent on a high level of technique
7 - The feels of the jam tracks for Lesson 7 (Solo 1 Revisited) are now all in the same feel as the original solo. The change of feel in the previous version was difficult for most students to work with.
8 - On Screen TAB now for examples as well as the solos.
9 - All of the solos were re-recorded so the jam tracks have changed as well (I think they sound better.)
10 - There are now slow speed and full speed versions of all of the solo examples.

Notational changes (like the reversal of the slur markings @Paleo noted) were sometimes done automatically by the notation software, so I didn't argue with the software :) You'll notice that, in the case of example 23, it's done that way to not interfere with the bend notation.

If I think of more things, or if you find anything that sticks out as "new" then please let me know and I'll put together an actual list as a PDF and link it in the member area (or I'll just put it on the home page of the course.)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Just noticed while going over Solo 1 that Griff is now calling out notes by their letter name rather than by fret/string number.

As if he wants you to start learning the notes on the fretboard and do a little sight reading.:sneaky:

It's also cool to watch the video breakdown for Solo 1 in Version 1.0 and 2.0 back to back.

It's not even the same guy.o_O

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Decided that I needed the manual so I headed to my courses. SWS 1.0 is still there, 2.0 isn't. Went to the "shop" page and SWS 1.0 was there, 2.0 isn't.
Does SWS 2.0 show up on everybody else's courses owned and course catalog page?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Decided that I needed the manual so I headed to my courses. SWS 1.0 is still there, 2.0 isn't. Went to the "shop" page and SWS 1.0 was there, 2.0 isn't.
Does SWS 2.0 show up on everybody else's courses owned and course catalog page?

Showed up on mine, and I just ordered the manual. I need to have this stuff down before Kalamazoo. :Beer:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I found the manual at lower left hand corner of the SWS2 page. Cost $15.00 to purchase.

Where did you find the SWS 2.0 page? It doesn't show in either my "course catalog" or "my courses" page.
Is it supposed to be like BGU 2.0, if you already have BGU you get it automatically?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Where did you find the SWS 2.0 page?
It's not specifically marked as such in the course catalog. If you have an icon and/or listing for SWS, click on it and you should see the new info.
sws-icon.jpg

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Sweet! Haven't looked at SWS in years, but it was always one of my favorite courses, even if I couldn't play a lot of it. #6 of Griff's list is definitely aimed at me. ;) I'm going to start back in on it next week. :thumbup:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think it's beneficial, at least for me, to continue to compare versions, as Griff presents some small nuggets that only appear in one version or the other.

For example:

In 2.0 he points out the grace note in Lick 2, as opposed to "new soloists who repeat the same note over and over". This is something that has been discussed recently in Challenges and AAP sessions.

In 1.0 he points out the "quick" note at the end of licks as being "common practice".

And in 2.0 he strongly encourages counting out loud (as slow as you need to) and writing the count under the notes if necessary.

Moving on to Lesson 7, he discusses playing in different feels (straight and swing) and his rationale for using the same feel in 2.0 for the "revisited" Solos.

On to Lesson 8.:)

Last edited: