Cool Tool For Mic Selection

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Mic selection is an important step in getting quality results.
Mics are just like pickups ( each has it's own flavor ) and finding the right one for the job can be frustrating , overwhelming and costly.

Personally, I've found that my voice has a problem with sibilance ( harsh S,T & Zs).
Consequently, I'm always looking for mics that can help reduce that problem.

Well, here's very cool tool to compare 300 large diaphragm mics.
From what I understand, they will be adding more over time and perhaps even expand to pickups????

Check it out:
https://www.audiotestkitchen.com/

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
we were just at the garden grove jam and I decided to give vocals try, weird how the microphones there are so different than what I have at home

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
we were just at the garden grove jam and I decided to give vocals try, weird how the microphones there are so different than what I have at home
Yep,
Like pickups.
When I started out at this recording stuff, all I could do was peck around the internet and check out reviews and recommendations.
I soon found out, what a huge difference mics make and, you need to find what works for you.
It's so hard to cut through the clutter on this, just like guitars, amps, pedals.
At least you can go check out guitar stuff at your local shop, it's not so easy with mics.
Looks like your getting some first hand live experience, that should be beneficial.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I need something--been using Radio Shacks for the past 5 years--something gotta help. I have also noticed that headphones don't sound a like either, every time I monitor something I am recording thru my head phones it don't sound the same as it does coming out of my P.A. speakers. (but it is already to late) I pushed the RECORD BUTTON-- Thanks Cap. Now I got an excuse.:)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I was just checking out mic's on the web----I cannot believe what they want for some of them almost $3000----(sounds ridiculous to me) What kind of mic are you using?--(I know you put it on here before but don't remember which thread it is on)---and what could I get between $150-250.
Any suggestions? I was checking on Amazon and they are WAY cheaper on mics than Sweetwater and M.F. They also have a pretty good selection from what I can tell--.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I was just checking out mic's on the web----I cannot believe what they want for some of them almost $3000----(sounds ridiculous to me) What kind of mic are you using?--(I know you put it on here before but don't remember which thread it is on)---and what could I get between $150-250.
Any suggestions? I was checking on Amazon and they are WAY cheaper on mics than Sweetwater and M.F. They also have a pretty good selection from what I can tell--.
What mic?
I'll give my standard answer.
If you only have one mic, I would recommend a SM58 or SM57, they both sell for under $100.
These are almost identical but the 58 has a small screen with a pop filter making it better for vocals.

I believe a fantastic upgrade from either of those (particularly for male vocals) would be the SM7B.
I use that for most of my vocal recordings.
Price on that is usually $350 - $400.
Anyone considering an SM7B should be aware that is is considered a low output mic and consequently require quite a bit of gain to accomplish good recording levels.
All interfaces and your Zoom recorder have built in preamps to boost the gain, however it may not be sufficient gain for this mic.
So......it would be recommended that if you want to use an SM7B, that you also use an additional gain boost like the CloudLifter, which sells for about $150.
The CloudLifter could also add gain to the SM57 and/or SM57.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=sm+7b

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ones-cl-1-cloudlifter-1-channel-mic-activator

My recommendations above are Dynamic mics.
Many experts also recommend large diaphragm condenser mics for studio vocals.
They do work well but, I don't recommend them for home recording because they typically pick up too much background noise.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I always used SM-58s & 57s--back when I was playing. The ones I am using now are Audio-tech (or something like that) they are the Radio Shack copy of the Shures- but got to admit there getting old...Later

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
So......it would be recommended that if you want to use an SM7B, that you also use an additional gain boost like the CloudLifter, which sells for about $150.

You can also take a look at Triton Audio's FETHEAD in-line phantom powered gain booster will boost dynamic mics 27db.. They also have the FETHEAD PHANTOM, which will pass phantom power to condenser mics and boost gain by 18db. About $99 each.

Dead simple. Plug em in between the mic and you interface and your good to go. (You can plug it into your mic or your interface.) Adjust the gain on your interface to get the signal you need, I usually shoot for -14 dbfs, and hit the red button. I use them both.