Today’s Musiciansfriend sdod

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I have no Quilter experience so take this with a grain of salt or two, and this was on another forum I used to frequent several years ago. Several of the guys on that forum were singing the praises of the Quilter 101, and were all talking about how they had bought them to use as back-up amps for their gigs because of their size and portability. As I recall, they said it easily fit in their gear bag with their cables and other stuff, and, when they did use them, they sounded really good. One of the guys even said it was small enough he had mounted it on his pedal board. Never saw a pic of his pedal board, so I can't confirm that it's actually that small or if he was just talking.

I saw the SDOD about an hour ago, and, if there was any way I could justify another amp (I already have a wall of amps that never get turned on), I'd grab one just to try it out. $179 is a great price on them from what I've seen (I think they usually go for $299). Grab one, try it out, and send it back if you don't like it since MF has a good return policy.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
FWIW this is a picture of the 101 Mini Reverb (same size as the one in that SDOD) mounted on a pedalboard; hopefully it gives you some context as to the size.

mini amp stack 06oct2018.jpg

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That's an incredible deal! I bought mine when they first came out and it's a great amp at the normal price, much less for $180. Thinking about getting a 2nd one at that price. While it doesn't have reverb, it has the different amp voicings that the 101 Reverb doesn't have. Made a "Blockdock"-style speaker cab with a 12" Eminence "Lil Texas" neo speaker for it and the whole thing weighs under 20 lbs. The cab is 16" wide and 12" deep.

DIYBlockDock.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
How would you compare it to the Bias mini?

Not very exciting to me but, then again, I probably don't know enough yet about how to get the most out of it. It's kind of a one trick pony compared to the Bias Mini, where I can have 16 different amps at a time loaded up, and can just download a sexy preset all set up for me.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Thanks for responses. I think I have dodged a bullet on my gas attack. As nice as that unit seems, it seems I would be doing a lot of adjusting for whatever I was playing at the moment. Or would I find a sweet spot where I would just leave it, and then use pedals for changes? I noticed Amazon has them for $179 also.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
I have both the 101 Mini and the 101 Mini Reverb. I liked the Mini so much that I ended up buying the Mini Reverb after it came out because it has the standard BMT tone section and is easier to tweak to suit the cab I use with them, which houses a WGS Blackhawk 12" Alnico speaker.

08y46sdmsk1gnsu6g.jpg

They are great little heads, and I do mean little. My original intent was to have on hand as a backup in case my primary amp(s) went on the fritz. I ended up running my small pedal board to this setup, and have been playing with my strat quite a bit lately, since I installed a set of Mojotone '59 Clone pickups.

The 101 Mini for that price ($179) is definitely worth every penny if you are lucky enough to find one.

Last edited:

Slofinger

Blues Junior
The same justification I was gonna use to get one. In case my Carvin Vintage16 gave out on me again. I’ll know better now if they have a deal like that again.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Today's SDOD is the Quilter 45. A stomp pedal sized 45 watt amp for $99.

You can add this to you pedalboard and only carry it and a speaker cab to you gig! Also handy for a guys using modelers like a Line 6 Stomp/Helix/Helix LT.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Today's SDOD is the Quilter 45. A stomp pedal sized 45 watt amp for $99.

You can add this to you pedalboard and only carry it and a speaker cab to you gig! Also handy for a guys using modelers like a Line 6 Stomp/Helix/Helix LT.

I believe @BigRigSteve runs one of these through his new Fender Tone Master Twin.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
The Microblock 45 is also on sale on Amazon and Sam Ash. Tried one at NAMM when they first came out. Good deal for that price.