Had an outdoor gig last night

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It was actually pretty nice with temps in the low 60's.
Patrons had gas fire pits at each table and overhead heaters (most weren't on). The primary purpose of the fire pits is to roast the marshmallows for your S'mores deserts. By 9 pm, it started getting a bit chilly. At quitting time (9:30) as the owner was leaving, I mentioned/asked if this was probably the last show of the year? He said "No! We have music out here all winter"...
This is a really good gig; extra pay great tips and an appreciative audience, but now I'm not sure if I want to call him until the spring. I can't see myself playing outside when it's cold. My definition of cold (where my fingers start to feel it) is probably around 50. If it gets colder than that, it won't be a fun gig, but might be worth it to stay in a regular rotation...

Thoughts?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm of like mind: if it's chilly enough to need more than a light sweatshirt to be comfortable then I'm looking for the route to head indoors.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
It was actually pretty nice with temps in the low 60's.
Patrons had gas fire pits at each table and overhead heaters (most weren't on). The primary purpose of the fire pits is to roast the marshmallows for your S'mores deserts. By 9 pm, it started getting a bit chilly. At quitting time (9:30) as the owner was leaving, I mentioned/asked if this was probably the last show of the year? He said "No! We have music out here all winter"...
This is a really good gig; extra pay great tips and an appreciative audience, but now I'm not sure if I want to call him until the spring. I can't see myself playing outside when it's cold. My definition of cold (where my fingers start to feel it) is probably around 50. If it gets colder than that, it won't be a fun gig, but might be worth it to stay in a regular rotation...

Thoughts?

Oye!:eek: I am jealous of my brothers down south (I’m in Minnesota). I always play my guitar on the tailgate of my truck while I’m barbecuing. Planing on barbecuing a batch of sautéed chicken breasts tomorrow . The predicted high is only 19. It will only take me 1 1/2 hours and I understand your gig is longer than that but if you dress in multi-layers, wear fingerless gloves and indulge in the intake of some internal anti-freeze:Beer: you will stay warm, have a blast and make some coin.:) I say go for it!!!:cool::D:cool:

sloslunas

NM Blues
Oye!:eek: I am jealous of my brothers down south (I’m in Minnesota). I always play my guitar on the tailgate of my truck while I’m barbecuing. Planing on barbecuing a batch of sautéed chicken breasts tomorrow . The predicted high is only 19. It will only take me 1 1/2 hours and I understand your gig is longer than that but if you dress in multi-layers, wear fingerless gloves and indulge in the intake of some internal anti-freeze:Beer: you will stay warm, have a blast and make some coin.:) I say go for it!!!:cool::D:cool:
We are over a mile high, with freezing temperatures every night. Still have the pool open (No heat to it as I have the solar panels shut off). Prime time...and the boyz love it!

Steve

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Go for it Mike. So what if you have to go indoors for 5 mins after every couple of sets or so, I'm sure they would understand.:)

Either that or just keep it rockin' so you fingers don't get a chance to get cold.(y)(y)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Hopefully they'll have all the heaters blowing, it gets in the 40's my fingers move like a boat oar through mud! Oh and get some of those hand or foot warmers to keep in pockets so you warm them fingers up between songs!

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I don't consider myself a pro by any means and we've done a couple of gigs where the temps were in the high 40's. I have a hard time and my playing sounds like crap when it's that cold. I can have similar troubles when it's way too hot. I love paying outdoor things but if temps are outside of the range of 55-85 it screws me up. Both extremes can play with guitar's tuning also.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Get you one of those radiant heaters that mounts on a propane tank, my first band we used a couple of those in the basement we rehearsed in

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Saw this one this morning, Mike, and thought it was going to be that you had a gig last night...after that front blew in. Glad you got it in before the real cold got here. Having grown up in the Brazos Valley (where most of my Christmas pics as a kid show all of us in shorts), anything below 60 may as well be Siberia.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

I've thought about fingerless gloves, but wasn't sure they would really work without muting strings.
Can you buy them that way or do you make your own?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Have them dedicate your own space heater to you?

They had one up there on the "Stage" but the Valet tried to light it and it wouldn't go on. The owners are really nice, so I'm sure if it's possible, they will have one up there. If it's not really windy it should be ok.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I've thought about fingerless gloves, but wasn't sure they would really work without muting strings.
You can buy fingerless gloves, but I don't see how you could avoid muting the strings. The space heater is probably the way to go. :Beer:

steve o

Student Of The Blues

Hi Mike. I use Ansell work gloves. I got them at Menards for my work when I have inspections during the winter when it can be 20 below. I have to be able to type on my phone during the inspections so I can’t have full fingered gloves. They are tight fitting so it doesn’t affect my guitar playing. Because the ends of the fingers are still exposed they still get cold but it does help. Look in the work glove section at any major hardware store and you should find them or something similar. Tommy’s advice on a personal space heater also would definitely help. Good luck and stay warm!

Attachments

• 3F6B6F46-8BE0-4CC6-81EF-ABCB4F655DC4.jpeg
    3F6B6F46-8BE0-4CC6-81EF-ABCB4F655DC4.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 11