Electric Guitars Fender's new "American Ultra" line of guitars

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I'm actually a little disappointed. From the teaser last week, I was really thinking they were going to do something other than the latest iteration of the American Deluxe. A super strat or a line with some kind of new guitar tech on it. Instead, they give us a Strat/Tele with a D-shaped neck. Admittedly, I can be cynical sometimes, but that just isn't worth the hype imho.

As always, ymmv. Someone out there may be totally stoked to see this.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm actually a little disappointed. From the teaser last week, I was really thinking they were going to do something other than the latest iteration of the American Deluxe. A super strat or a line with some kind of new guitar tech on it. Instead, they give us a Strat/Tele with a D-shaped neck. Admittedly, I can be cynical sometimes, but that just isn't worth the hype imho.

As always, ymmv. Someone out there may be totally stoked to see this.

I'm with you on this. The Acoustasonic reveal got my head humming; this one, not so much. They've added a couple of treats like locking tuners and the S-1 switch for coil splitting (HSS Strat) or series/parallel (Tele) but, otherwise, it's the new neck and contoured heel. I already have all those features on my MIM Tele and my Partscaster Strat.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
From a purely GAS-centric view, yeah: that black one looks killer. It just doesn't bring anything extra to the table (IMNSDHO) over the black MIM I already have, so I'm inoculated against lusting for one. :Beer:
The body contouring is a step above and they are back to individual intonation adjust saddles. So these features I appreciate. I just wish they would do away with that solid sheet metal plate under the lead pup. I really like the Plasma Red Burst and the Mocha Burst looks pretty awesome too! The Mocha Burst base color is very similar to my palomino Eric Johnson Artist Strat.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The body contouring is a step above and they are back to individual intonation adjust saddles. So these features I appreciate. I just wish they would do away with that solid sheet metal plate under the lead pup. I really like the Plasma Red Burst and the Mocha Burst looks pretty awesome too! The Mocha Burst base color is very similar to my palomino Eric Johnson Artist Strat.

The contours are sexy, to be sure. This is the foundation for the one I have:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...eries-telecaster-black-with-maple-fingerboard

which has the individual saddles. I added the locking tuners and the 4-way switch to get the pickups in series and I'm happy with it (for now).

There's always a "for now," Isn't there? :confused:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The contours are sexy, to be sure. This is the foundation for the one I have:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...eries-telecaster-black-with-maple-fingerboard

which has the individual saddles. I added the locking tuners and the 4-way switch to get the pickups in series and I'm happy with it (for now).

There's always a "for now," Isn't there? :confused:
I am very fortunate to not have any "for now" guitars in my growing collection of guitars (a nother is arriving today if UPS doesn't try to deliver when I'm at the dentist?). Now if I could just play! :Beer:

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I've been thinking about upgrading from my MIM strat for a while. It just seemed so confusing with American Special, Performer, Professional, Elite and now this??? Maybe the upside will be that the American Performer and Pro will start to drop in price?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I've been thinking about upgrading from my MIM strat for a while. It just seemed so confusing with American Special, Performer, Professional, Elite and now this??? Maybe the upside will be that the American Performer and Pro will start to drop in price?
I've got the Am Pro and also the older Am Standard. I like both but I like the Am Pro mo betta........ :Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That belly cut bound Tele with locking tuners is at the top of my list of wanna haves.
Lockers are definitely nice. I've retrofitted half a dozen Fenders (both Teles and Strats) with Fender lockers. I like them a lot, but on my most recent project, I used Grover mini-lockers and I have to say, I prefer them to the Fender lockers.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Lockers are definitely nice. I've retrofitted half a dozen Fenders (both Teles and Strats) with Fender lockers. I like them a lot, but on my most recent project, I used Grover mini-lockers and I have to say, I prefer them to the Fender lockers.
I bought those Grovers for my Firebird

Stinger22

Blues Junior
It's the first thing I do when I get a Fender.