Practical advice

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Ok lets kick this off.

We need proven workable things here.

Solutions to things like 1) hiding guitars from management 2) hiding amps 3) hiding new purchases.

Maybe an acting class “no thats not new i have had that a long time” without twitching or any tells.

Cash purchases are helpful.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Ok lets kick this off.

We need proven workable things here.

Solutions to things like 1) hiding guitars from management 2) hiding amps 3) hiding new purchases.

Maybe an acting class “no thats not new i have had that a long time” without twitching or any tells.

Cash purchases are helpful.

Hiding them in plain sight by keeping them all the same color is a big step in the right direction. I figured that out when I was looking at a guitar online one day and my wife commented that it looks exactly like my other ones. I couldn't figure out what she meant since they were really different styles so I walked her into the music room where 3 are on hangers and asked her which looked the same. She pointed to the sunburst semi-hollow Ibanez and a sunburst strat and said they looked exactly the same but the black tele was clearly different. That was the day the light bulb went on for me :sneaky:

Bogney

Blues Newbie
Well, my wife died about year ago (the second one to pass away). She was fantastic, and I miss her, but, the silver lining ... no guitar purchase / placement issues. I only started playing two years ago, so she didn’t have much besides terrible noise during my practice to put up with before she passed, and I don’t think my playing could have caused her aneurysm, probably just some mild annoyance.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
One of the bennies of having them in a rack instead of displayed in more prominent locations is, so long as the visible number remains at the limit of what fits in the rack, they're reasonably anonymous. Note "visible number." :whistle:

IMG_5094.jpeg

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Could be an either/or situation. Does the manager wish you to
1. Pursue your passion for chasing after other managers? Or...
2. Pursue your passion for music?

Steve
Many years ago when I began my pursuit of #2, it was solely for the purpose of pursuit #1.
Thusly, I may now have what ever guitars I can afford, I just may not take them out of the house.
.....so, motorcycles! ;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My manager is resigned to the fact that there will always be another guitar. I remember when I got to about a dozen, she mentioned something about having enough. I mentioned at the time that I have guitars, she has horses. I can put my guitars in the closet (well, maybe three closets) for six months without a penny's worth of expense and suggested perhaps she might try that with the horses and see how it worked out. Nowadays, she has figured out that I'm just batshit crazy and there isn't anything she can do about it. She actually bragged to a couple of people that I built the FauXplorer and it is now my favorite player. She also digs the fuzzy pink guitar straps!

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
Rotating the locations between rooms regularly helps as does buying one for the small thing we share the house with to 'help' with her music lessons and piano playing skills. I'm a good step dad when I do this. The five motorcycles are also shared around the outdoor sheds and workshops and 4 are the same colour. The two boats are in different moorings.
Recent conversations about cables looking messy may prompt new amps and wireless technology.
I have been preparing the ground for Christmas when Santa will decide that I have been very good all year based on my monthly appraisals.