Feeling like I'm starting all over.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I've been playing chords and singing since the 60's so I have no problem with that, but trying to play nearly ANYTHING else while singing, is really tough.
I play pretty woman (Roy Orbison) in my show and it took for ever to get the main lick down well enough that I can play it and sing at the same time.

I always thought some of it has to do with the brain processing the licks and the speech in the same area? If they are in time with each other, I can make sense of it. But when they aren't watch out. Paint it Black still gives me nightmares.

Years ago I remember reading somewhere, Clapton said he couldn't play the lick and sing Layla at the same time. I always thought that was a misquote because I had seen him do it plenty of times.

But when you look at the video he was talking about the word Layla, not the song.

When he does the acoustic version without the lick he always sings Layla, instead of the backup singers, but when he plays the lick on electric he doesn't.

So if Clapton can't do it, maybe just some things can't be sung and played together, especially when they are different meters? Of course I guess that is all dependent on how your brain is wired.

PCM

Spring, Texas
I think this entire discussion just indicates that being a good, performing musician is a very difficult and rare skill...it requires a lot of work.

What's different about the difficulty of learning and performing music is it is still fun. I know of very few activities this difficult, yet still being fun despite major obstacles for those not naturally inclined.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I always thought some of it has to do with the brain processing the licks and the speech in the same area? If they are in time with each other, I can make sense of it. But when they aren't watch out. Paint it Black still gives me nightmares.

Years ago I remember reading somewhere, Clapton said he couldn't play the lick and sing Layla at the same time. I always thought that was a misquote because I had seen him do it plenty of times.

But when you look at the video he was talking about the word Layla, not the song.

When he does the acoustic version without the lick he always sings Layla, instead of the backup singers, but when he plays the lick on electric he doesn't.

So if Clapton can't do it, maybe just some things can't be sung and played together, especially when they are different meters? Of course I guess that is all dependent on how your brain is wired.

I have no idea why somethings are harder to play while singing (though I think the different meter thought is likely) Maybe @Griff has some thoughts?
I feel like if I really WORK HARD on something I can do both, but I have to learn each thing (vocal & guitar ) separately until they are second nature. Even the slightest amount of thought can cause it to go sideways.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I have no idea why somethings are harder to play while singing (though I think the different meter thought is likely) Maybe @Griff has some thoughts?
I feel like if I really WORK HARD on something I can do both, but I have to learn each thing (vocal & guitar ) separately until they are second nature. Even the slightest amount of thought can cause it to go sideways.
Oh, it's ALL timing related. If you're vocal rhythm doesn't jive with the rhythm of what you're playing on guitar, it's going to get REAL weird, real quick.

I can't for example, sing "Brown Eyed Girl" and play bass on that song at the same time... or at least, I didn't used to be able to, I've worked it out now. But for a long time I was playing bass back in the 90s at Disneyland and when that tune came up I'd have to have someone else sing because the bass rhythm is SO different from what is sung.

The secret to finally figuring it out? Go real slow and figure out where the 2 things meet. Every spot where there is a syllable at the same time as a bass note, is a mark. When I finally worked out where the marks were, I could do it. But it took some time.

Currently the hardest thing I have to do is solo on "Walk This Way" at the same time as I sing the chorus (at the end of the tune (in Yard Sale.) But I can either put my fingers on autopilot playing fast scales or play something that is in time with what I'm singing so it's not that bad.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Steve!!! Be sure to introduce yourself to the forum family in the “introduce yourself” section of the forum.:)