Where Did The Money Go (an original)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Mercy!! Two paws up on that performance. I haven't been down in this section of the forum for a long time, and have obviously missed a lot of great stuff. I have to say Moto...this is the first time that I have heard you sing where you really let your vocals come out to their true potential. You just let it go full force...and it was damn great!!! My only suggestion would be to ditch the few words before "where does the money go" in the first chorus or two (they detract from the flow). Other than that, I think that there are quite a few of the big boys out there that would pay you good money for that song. Thank you for all of your great work...

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I'm trying to find myself.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Actually...., it's funny you should mention that, it is to warm up here over the next week or so.:) Apparently it is to reach 13 degrees tomorrow. (now, where are my shorts?):D
Yikes!
That's 55 here, I thought you where up there in the North Atlantic...what's up with that?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I heard this song again yesterday. For some reason, it showed up right behind a song from Many Moons on Soundcloud. One of my new year resolutions is to up my game on my preferred DAW (Cubase). I contacted @CaptainMoto yesterday to see if he still had the unmixed tracks and would he be willing to let me butcher it to my own ear. He graciously consented and this morning I downloaded the raw tracks. The only instrument I added was another bass line, as the bass line in the original was light on the thump. Anyhow... long story even longer. I did a remix of it and the Captain has given me the OK to share it here.

https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/Moto/WDTMoneyGo-Remix.mp3

I welcome constructive comments on the mix. No smoke shall be blown!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Man, did you ever mess that up!!!! :confused:

Just kidding:D
Interesting to hear somebody remix it.
I like the extra thump you added.

Wonder what others make of it.

About SoundCloud:
I don't know how or what it does but I'm always getting music from @Many Moons & @blackcoffeeblues comming up next in rotation.
I think they paid off somebody to bump their music.
Maybe some of their influence is bumping mine.;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Man, did you ever mess that up!!!! :confused:

Just kidding:D
Interesting to hear somebody remix it.
I like the extra thump you added.

Wonder what others make of it.

About SoundCloud:
I don't know how or what it does but I'm always getting music from @Many Moons & @blackcoffeeblues comming up next in rotation.
I think they paid off somebody to bump their music.
Maybe some of their influence is bumping mine.;)

As per our conversation, I moved the lead guitar more towards the center. In the "phone call" verse, I brought everything up a few db so there wasn't the volume drop-off you mentioned.
I absolutely loved the tune and can't wait to mangle another one of your originals!

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That was a brave thing you did there @PapaRaptor. Moto has a style of his own, and there is a certain rawness to his recordings that makes him what he is. Having said that you did a great job on it. According to my little speakers there was a bit of an overall volume drop on the track. When you brought the guitars to the centre, they seem to have moved to the front a bit more as well. I like that. Did you pan his voice a little left? It seems to have 'moved' a little. One minor gripe if I had to have one, (and it is minor) would be the panning of the guitars at the start. I'm not a big fan of that, and it just seemed a bit random. I really do like your bass playing. Your tones and timing are first rate.(y) All in all a very worthy effort sir. Very well done.(y)(y)

And well done @CaptainMoto for sharing your original tracks.(y)(y)

Hey Papa, do you hire your bass playing talents out?:whistle: My bass playing is as basic as it comes, (although I have started a true fire course recently) and some nice bass playing might enhance my stuff.:D;)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That was a brave thing you did there @PapaRaptor. Moto has a style of his own, and there is a certain rawness to his recordings that makes him what he is.
I'm not sure how brave it was. I wasn't trying to improve on the song. I liked his version a lot. Let's just consider this a cover, done by the original artist.

Having said that you did a great job on it. According to my little speakers there was a bit of an overall volume drop on the track.
Thanks. I'll have to listen to them again. The mastering plug-in I used actually brought the overall levels up quite a bit,

When you brought the guitars to the centre, they seem to have moved to the front a bit more as well.
In the first remix that I gave to @CaptainMoto the two strongest guitars (his bass and lead tracks) were panned pretty far left and right, respectively. I did that for sonic clarity, but they lose some energy when panned out that far. I brought them in to just slightly off-center, so you still get a sensation of spreading out in the sound field, but they become more 'out-front.'

Did you pan his voice a little left? It seems to have 'moved' a little.
I copied his voice track and panned one channel far left and the other far right, which normally will do nothing in a stereo mix. Then I delayed the right vocal track by <10 milliseconds, which isn't enough for most listeners to detect, but it has the effect of spreading the vocals out across a stereo field. I'm not sure of the exact time shift, because I bumped it around by ear until I had the vocals spread out, but couldn't detect two separate tracks. Both channels were EQ'd the same and set to identical levels. It might be that with the left signal slightly ahead of the right one that it pulls your attention left.

One minor gripe if I had to have one, (and it is minor) would be the panning of the guitars at the start. I'm not a big fan of that, and it just seemed a bit random.
You caught me on that one. I had the first guitar part (the one that moves) panned left in the beginning and since the second one comes in later, it sounded kind of weak and lonely by itself. I should have had it set dead center at the beginning and crept it out to the left after the second guitar came in.

I really do like your bass playing. Your tones and timing are first rate.(y) All in all a very worthy effort sir. Very well done.(y)(y)
Thanks, I use the Dusty Hill method on a lot of stuff, "The root, the whole root and nothing but the root."

And well done @CaptainMoto for sharing your original tracks.(y)(y)
I heartily agree. It takes some stones to let someone else dissect and reassemble your own and very personal work. I'm deeply indebted for him letting me mangle his excellent song.

Hey Papa, do you hire your bass playing talents out?:whistle: My bass playing is as basic as it comes, (although I have started a true fire course recently) and some nice bass playing might enhance my stuff.:D;)
No one has ever offered to hire me. I'm not sure I could justify taking their money. What I did was pretty basic on this track. In listening to it several times, I would have played it even more simply. Thanks for the kind comment!

Elwood

Blues
Very Interestink! (Col. Clink right?)

Great to hear @PapaRaptor put his ear to this one. (y)Nice bass and I really like how the vocal is more "in" the tune rather than "on top" of it, if that makes any sense. Still the lyrics are clear and intelligible, good.
Tasty re-mix to a good tune. Somehow it sounds "less harsh" but still edgy. @Many Moons was way better descriptively. Boy, how many ways there must be to skin this whole recording cat. @CaptainMoto this is nice work either way. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
(plenty of bass here @blackcoffeeblues but that is so dependent on our playback setup and personal preferences. I have that Klipsh sub by my right foot.:whistle:)

BigMike

Blues Oldie
My monitors are too fancy to hear what reality is ..........I need some cheap Chinese no names.
Agree, if I am mixing for streaming, which I usually do, I play it through a JBL Charge 4 to make sure it's balanced for the various media outlets as in general, once it leaves my studio it will probably never be heard through high quality studio speakers again:confused: Having said that, most of the streaming companies mess about with it before release anyway. I usually do a slightly different mix for CD.
Great job both of you, I liked both mixes and it's a good example of how important a mix is to a song, different interpretations but good end product.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Monitors, like everything else make a difference.
I follow quite a few mixing pros to help me improve my skills and I'm astonished by the amount of $$ they spend on monitors.
That said, most mixers, me included, use several monitors to test the mix for the real world listener.
It's said that if you can pass the car radio test, you've got a good mix.

With all that in mind, I recently read about some really top notch guys doing 100% of the mix listening to relatively inexpensive KRK Rocket 5 monitors. they probably cost $300 - $400 a pair but, compared to 4 - 5 thousand that's damn cheap.

However, your listening environment is as important as the monitors.
$10,000 monitors wont make a much of a difference if your room sounds wrong.

NEW NEWS:
Many 'Pros" spend huge money on rooms and monitors and the idea of mixing with headphones has always bee looked down on as third rate.
For those who are really into this and don't want to spend big money on specially treated rooms and $20,000 monitors, there's something new on the market which is getting fabulous reviews.

The WAVES Abbey Road Studio 3 plug in.
It replicates the sound of the iconic Abbey Roads Studio 3 and matches it to your headphones.
Pretty revolutionary stuff!
No need to build a studio, install all sorts of acoustical treatment or buy expensive monitors, just plug in and let it recreate a virtual mixing environment for you in your headphones.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/new-waves-abbey-road-studio-3

Last edited: