John's Ex5-5

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
I felt like 5-5 was coming together today so took a stab at recording it. Unfortunately the mike placement so close to the speaker makes it somewhat more distorted that I planned.

https://youtu.be/yCkElF2VK5k

As usual feedback and suggestions for improvement most welcome.

Regards, John

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
Hey John,

Very smooth and sounding good. I am currently working on this one too. The ease in which you play this is quite inspiring! Keep kicking ass mang.

LeftyJohn

Thanks Walt. I'm now working on 7 and 8. Really enjoying 7-3 and 8-5 in particular. Fun to play!

How are you getting on with the course?

Regards, John

Walt H

I am working on this, bgu, and another all simultaneously. I am having the most fun with this one. I really like the format of the course. I appreciate how everything builds off of your prior work. Something that was a struggle is now pretty much automatic. I can literally taste my progress as a guitarist in this course which is obviously a wonderful feeling.

Walt H

Hey John,
Were you able to get that triplet strum in at lesson 6-3? Ive been working on it and my right hand just is not quite fast enough yet.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Last edited:

Walt H

@Paleo - What program did you use for that? I use the gear wheel to slow stuff down to .75, or to speed up the slow examples 1.25 or 1.5. I really like being able to fine tune the playback speed so that I am exactly on point.

thanks!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@Walt H - I use Audacity for recording, editing, "manipulating" and exporting. It's easy, and more importantly, free.

For practicing I use "The Amazing Slow Downer".

Both programs let you change the tempo to any bpm or key you want.

Audacity will let you save any changes and export the "new" track.

I created the 2 extra tracks at slower tempos just in case you didn't have the ability to slow the original down.:)

LeftyJohn

Hey John,
Were you able to get that triplet strum in at lesson 6-3? Ive been working on it and my right hand just is not quite fast enough yet.

Hi Walt, I'm still working on it though I've been rather pre-occupied with Ex 7-3 which has exposed several weakness, particularly around keeping time as the sections change.

How are you getting on with it now?

Regards, John

Walt H

Hi Walt, I'm still working on it though I've been rather pre-occupied with Ex 7-3 which has exposed several weakness, particularly around keeping time as the sections change.

How are you getting on with it now?

Regards, John

Hey John,
I am getting there with the triplet strum, but I am not where I really want to be. So it gets played every time I pick up my guitar. I am naturally a lefty but I started playing a right handed guitar...so the fast strumming is a coordination that is taking a little more time than it should imo. I feel your pain with 7-3. It is both quite long and those changes are challenging. It sounds like we are both having similar issues. The good news is every day it sounds a little better.

Ive been meaning to ask you about your prs 24. It is beautiful. How do you like it? What made you opt for it as opposed to the 22? Any and all thoughts are most appreciated

LeftyJohn

Hi Walt,

Yeah. I'm slowly making progress on 7-3 and the triplets, quite enjoying 7-3.

I love the PRS, I have the 24 as they only do the Custom 24 in the SE range left handed. One day I intend to treat myself to a Core model though right now there are only three left handed Core PRS guitars for sales in the UK all over $5000 USD!

If I could get any of them I'd be after the Paul's Guitar or McCarty but neither are available left handed :(