"My" Open Mic Venue

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
New stage in place! When I played the benefit there the place was so packed folks were jostling my speaker stands and one out-of-control youngster caromed into my mic. It’ll be nice to have a little separation. :Beer:

DD12EA6A-951C-4252-A28A-5991C3D1AF94.jpeg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
A friend got most of one of my songs from last night's mini set (30 minutes). Took me almost the whole first verse to sort out the vocal key, which set me on edge about the singing so I lost track of trying to slow myself down and hence played it at my default (too fast) tempo. It's a process. I get a little better almost every week. Long way to go. :Beer:

artyman

Fareham UK
No, but why shoot so that you have two black bands each side of the monitor or TV, it's so simple to just re-orientate a phone when shooting video, just turn it 90 degrees.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Ah. The black bands are something YouTube does; the original video is in proper portrait mode. The subject being shot (me) is mostly vertical so portrait mode makes more sense, else you'd have back away to frame it in a smaller vertical space and have useless stuff filmed to either side. Guess it's a matter of taste. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Feel like exulting some.

Last night was a special occasion as the lady who organizes many of the area open mics was celebrating her 55th. Instead of the usual 6-9:30 run the sets started at 3:30 and several notable local musicians showed up to participate. After the last set we had another open jam and, as the only guy who brought a bass, I was tapped for thumping duty.

As usual, I didn't know the songs called out except in a general sense, but all I needed to know was the key. There were two rhythm players but they were also sharing a mic for backup vocals (the organizer sang lead; she has a killer voice) so their crowding together made it hard for me to spot the chords—so I faked it. I kept my focus on the right hand keeping a solid groove, and let my fretting hand noodle around in the key, sort of melody-following up and down the fretboard with a little run or two thrown in as the mood took me. I know I flubbed a few times, and wasn't always on the correct chord root, but I was in key and in the groove, and had a lot of fun.

Afterwards several people made a point of telling me how much they liked the bass lines, including a couple of said local notables. There was also, as usual, a lot of "wow" over how great the UBass sounded. One of the better-known musicians is now planning to get one of his own. Now, I know there was probably a measure of "be nice to the n00b" involved, but it still felt very good and I was floating on the proverbial cloud nine all the way home...still am, a little. I love guitar, but bass is also really doing it for me and I enjoy the feel of thumping out a solid groove. :Beer:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
At my local open mic there is a certain element of "be nice and applaud anyone who has the courage to get up there". If they came up to you after, that's a different level. "thumping out a solid groove" can be quite rewarding, especially with a solid drummer. Hey somebody's got to do it!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Last night I ended up as the "Initator of Applause" at Infinity Hall open mic. I'm talking about applause during a song for a solo or whatever, not at the end of song or set.

The first time was a guy doing an original song on acoustic guitar. Then he played a solo over the changes and I realized he had a looper. He did it seamlessly. On the next song he played a solo over 2 times through the changes and it was good solo. As it was ending I clapped a couple of times which got every one else clapping

Then there was a guy doing flamenco guitar. He did a medley that included Stairway to Heaven and Classical Gas.
After he built it up to a crescendo, he brought it down, but wasn't done yet. Again I start the clapping and others joined in.

Just sayin' you can do it when everyone else is hesitating.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
A friend got most of one of my songs from last night's mini set (30 minutes). Took me almost the whole first verse to sort out the vocal key, which set me on edge about the singing so I lost track of trying to slow myself down and hence played it at my default (too fast) tempo. It's a process. I get a little better almost every week. Long way to go. :Beer:

My favorite version ot that tune, but well done
https://youtu.be/ilUNIrwkrU8